Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Maertz
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
When you fight 2+ Anomalies how is the self damage applied from their Rift Cannons?

-Weakest?
-Roll seperate and the only hit themselves?
-Rolling player decides? (bias?)

Wakrob

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd imagine that the Anomalies apply damage to themselves in the most beneficial way possible, as an attacker with Rift Cannons does the same thing (i.e. they apply damage to themselves in the most beneficial way possible), i.e. the self applied damage ends up on the Anomaly with the least damage already on it (i.e. an Anomaly will never kill itself with self applied damage if it can avoid doing so).

What is the most beneficial way possible is likely obvious, so it isn't like the rolling player has a "bias"; much like applying Ancient ship damage (kill anything you can kill first, if you can't kill something, damage the biggest thing you can) is pretty obvious and generally is decided by committee anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Entre
msg tools
I'll link the last time I remember this being discussed.

The most common opinion from that limited discussion was that anomalies always roll individually (even identical immobile anomalies) and assign self-damage only to the one who rolled.

To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an "official" ruling on this topic yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bakija
United States
flag msg tools
Q: Are we not men?
mbmbmbmbmb
Entreri43 wrote:
The most common opinion from that limited discussion was that anomalies always roll individually (even identical immobile anomalies) and assign self-damage only to the one who rolled.

The problem with that interpretation is that isn't how Rift Cannons work. Rift Cannons specifically apply "one damage to any one of your ships in the hex" (quoted from Rift Cannon rules). When you roll a bunch of Rift Cannons, you get to apply the damage to any ships you have in the hex in any order, regardless of the order in which you roll the dice.

When rolling Rift Cannons, you get to apply the damage in whatever way you feel is most beneficial to you based on the ships you have in the hex. I can't see any reason why Anomalies would work any different. I mean, yeah, it is beneficial to the attacker to have the Rift Cannons only apply damage to the ships that fired the specific Rift Cannons, but I don't know that Anomalies need to get kneecapped like this, given that it is already pretty easy to kill them (attack them with enough ships/guns to likely kill them in one shot, given that you are going to have initiative presumably).

Quote:
To the best of my knowledge, there isn't an "official" ruling on this topic yet.

Yeah, that is weird, given the number of times this has come up by now, including in the official FAQ thread...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.