Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend who used to play the warhammer 40k miniatures game. Is there a board game in this universe that captures the miniatures 40k feel?

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
IMHO, the best 40K board game is Space Hulk. I wouldn't say it captures much of the 40k universe, but the part which it does is certainly intense.

It can also be fairly expensive to find, since GW seems to enjoy keeping it OOP to drive up the price.

Space Hulk: Death Angel is a card game version which is also pretty good, although it's also OOP as of late, since the arrangement between GW and FFG fell through earlier this year. You may still be able to find it at a reasonable price, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a followup, what game not necessarily in the 40k universe most capture the 40k miniature gameplay best in board game format?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
non sequitur
United States
Elk Point
South Dakota (SD)
flag msg tools
Mandelbrot/Simurgh hybrid etc etc
badge
I made both of these fractals, hurray!
mbmbmbmbmb
Best use of their IP: Forbidden Stars. It's also about to go out of print if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Stewi wrote:
IMHO, the best 40K board game is Space Hulk. I wouldn't say it captures much of the 40k universe, but the part which it does is certainly intense.

It can also be fairly expensive to find, since GW seems to enjoy keeping it OOP to drive up the price.

Space Hulk is getting a reprint early December:

https://www.games-workshop.com/en-GB/Space-Hulk-2016

75£ or regional equivalent. Still fairly expensive but not OOP expensive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
flag msg tools
Nekku wrote:

75£ or regional equivalent. Still fairly expensive but not OOP expensive.

True, for a couple of months. Then it will be OOP again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mister P
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of skirmish boardgames, I think Imperial Assault is quite popular. It has characters from the Star Wars universe and can be played as a skirmish game or as a dungeon crawl type game. It is based on the Descent boardgame.

There have been plenty of miniature skirmish games coming out recently through kickstarter and I have lost count.

Something that was quite popular a few years ago is Earth Reborn. It is a more complex system than WH 40K but apparently is quite good once you get into the later scenarios. I only played the intro scenario so didn't really get a feel for it.

I actually find Commands & Colours Ancients reflects the way Warhammer Fantasy played only simplified into a hex boardgame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know much about 40K (I prefer Warhammer:Fantasy and came to the world by way of the RPG) but from what I do know the Horus Heresy is pretty central to the lore so would this game be a good fit?
Horus Heresy
More a thematic resonance than a gameplay one though.

Probably out of print now due to the FFG and GW split but I'm sure it will be available somewhere.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of their recent board games give you good rules (both different) for the feel of the 40k universe with miniatures in play. Neither game's rules match the 40k rules and they're actually probably better off for that.

Betrayal at Calth pits two space marine forces in a series of battles. You can play them as one-off fights or as a strung together story, which is how they're presented.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/187679/horus-heresy-b...

Deathwatch Overkill has one player controlling elite, tough-as-nails space marines on several successive missions to clear out an alien-infested mine that was formerly friendly. The marines in the game are presented as powerful, hard-to-kill bad-asses like they are in the fiction. However, as they go deeper in the mines the tables turn and easy, early victories become harder to win and then nearly impossible.
Different rules than Calth (above) but also a great game to use great looking miniatures in a self-contained game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/194081/deathwatch-ove...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.