Hide
13 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Games to help lead up to Arkham Horror LCG? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Braden Adam
msg tools
I got Arkham Horror: The Card Game for my wife and I to play as we are both huge Lovecraft nerds.

However we are both very new to gaming, and despite several attempts with both reading and re-reading the rules, and watching a couple of spoiler-free YT videos, we cannot get the hang of playing this game.

Our experience thus far with card based games has been deckbuilding stuff like Dominion, Ascendance and Cthulhu Realms.

No, I am not posting asking for help interpreting the rules - a cursory search of BGG forums shows this is a request met by some groans of "oh brother, not another one"

Rather, are there any games BGG could recommend we check out as stepping stones towards Arkham Horror: LCG?

Something with, say, similar mechanics but a bit lighter? Where we can take the knowledge and experience from there and apply it to Arkham?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Ovcen
United States
Boynton Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try this game:The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game

There are also some videos on YouTube from the user COTRPodcast. They show a playthrough of the series I've linked above.

There's another user on YouTube called Noaloha that makes some playthrough videos. You don't have to watch the whole video if you don't wish to spoil the scenario. I hope that helps a little bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you tried looking into the strategy forums for the game? You might find some helpful pointers there if it is more that than the actual rules of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradenandpichi wrote:
No, I am not posting asking for help interpreting the rules - a cursory search of BGG forums shows this is a request met by some groans of "oh brother, not another one"

Rather, are there any games BGG could recommend we check out as stepping stones towards Arkham Horror: LCG?

I'm not sure I have a suggestion for a simpler yet similar game. I think in general, any type of CCG/LCG is going to be very particular about how rules are interpreted and card keywords will be very important to rules interpretation because of the expandability of the genre.

I'm sad you feel you might get a rude response on the rules forum. You might be right, but I'd like to think if you posted well articulated questions couched with context that you're new to LCGs, you might get a warmer response. I believe (hope?) the folks who get 'not another one' replies are from the same question being asked one thread previous.

Or, if you like, you can DM me and I'll do my best to answer your questions in a non-grouchy manner when next I check in
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Games to help lead up to Arkham Horror LCG
bradenandpichi wrote:

Use a good subject line (eg. not "Some rules questions"), ask a clear question that shows you've put some effort into it, and you'll almost always get a good answer. Rules questions are common and welcomed on this site.

As for the suggestion to play LotR LCG first. It's a great game, but the rules are just as complex as Arkham, if not more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed T
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You didn't mention it in your post so I'll ask - have you actually played through the "Learn to Play" walkthrough yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Adam
msg tools
Yes we tried the "learn to play" walk through but to be honest, once we got past the initial set up we were left completely baffled as to what to actually do to play the game.

So we're in the study...there are apparently clues...we each have some cards...and...?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradenandpichi wrote:
So we're in the study...there are apparently clues...we each have some cards...and...?

Okay. Let's assume you're playing with the suggested Roland deck. Let's also assume the first five cards you drew were:
- Flashlight
- Machete
- Magnifying Glass
- Emergency Cache
- Dr Milan Christopher

You have an Act (1a) card 'Trapped' out which tell you to escape the Study (but how?). Notice there's a (2) icon in the bottom right with a little investigator symbol on it. That means in order to 'win' the Act you need a sum total of (2) clues times the number of players. Assuming it's just you for simplicity, that's just 2 clues (Four if you're playing with your wife / a.k.a. Wendy deck). Once you have the required clues, you flip the card over and read the back. Then you replace it with the next Act card (2a) and proceed.

You also have an Agenda (1a) 'What's Going On?' card out which has a (3) in the lower left. This is basically how many turns you have before you have 'advance' the story. After 3 turns, you flip this card over, read the back, and replace it with the next Agenda card (2a)

Keep the 'Action Summary' card handy while you play. The back is the turn sequence.

[Option 1] So on each turn, Roland gets 3 actions. On the first turn, here's some things you can do:

- If you just want to get out of the study, you need Clues. The Study has 2 clues on it (or 4 when playing with 2 players). The 'Investigate' action lets Roland search for Clues at his location. So you take his 'Book icon' number (3) and pull a token from the chaos cup/bag. Let's assume you pull a '-1'. Your skill test is 3-1=2 against the Study's 'Shroud' value which is 2 (the black circle on the left side). So you pass and give Roland a clue.

- Since you have 3 actions, you can just do this again and try and get the other clue. Let's assume you pass again. What you would then do is spend the 2 clues to advance the Act, read the card back and pull out the next Act card. At this point, because the back of the card tells you so, you're no longer in the study. Success.

- Note, the odds of passing 2 investigations on the first 2 attempts is not very high, so lets say you're worried about passing the second investigation attempt without help. So when you Investigate, you can spend cards from your hand to aid your test. Some cards have a little book icon under the cost in the upper left. (like Flashlight, Magnifying Glass). You could discard as many of these as you want to add a +1 for each icon. So if you discarded both Magnifying Glass and Flashlight, you could add +2. This time, you draw a -2 token. So 3+3-2=4, and you pass with room to spare. You have however discarded some great cards, which is a big decision point of this game.

[Option 2] Now you could just Investigate for clues, but it might also be wise to do other things before you leave the study because you have no idea what's waiting outside the Study.

- One of your possible Actions is 'Play'. Lets do this twice and play the Machete and Magnifying Glass. They go to our player area in front of us as active 'Assets'. The Machete costs 3 resources and the Magnifying Glass costs 0, so you have 2 left.

- We now have 1 action left, and we choose to Investigate. This time, we have a Magnifying Glass in front of us, which gives a permanent +1 to our Book skill. So now, Roland's (3) is a 3+1, so the odds are much better we can beat a (2) shroud. Lets assume we fail anyway, because we drew a -4 token: 3+1-4=0. So we've spent our 3rd action and are still in the study.

- If Wendy is playing, she can go next, but lets assume you're by yourself and move to the 'Enemy Phase'. There are no enemies at this time, so nothing happens.
- Upkeep phase: Draw a card and Gain a resource. Lets say you drew Vicious Blow. And you now have 3 resources.

- Now its the Mythos Phase. Add a Doom token to the Agenda which now has 1 token on it. Remember, when you get to 3 you have to flip the card over and read the back. And now Roland draws a card from the encounter deck, which is always a bad thing. Let's assume you drew 'Ghoul Minion'. This is a monster that will also be in the Study with you. It immediately engages Roland for combat and will attack during the next enemy phase. But luckily, Roland gets a turn first.

- Good thing you played the Machete card. You use your first Action to 'Activate' the Machete card which allows you to fight the Ghoul with a +1 Fist icon. Roland's Fist skill is 4 and the Ghoul's Fist skill is 2, so Roland has 5 points to beat 2 which are pretty good odds. Draw a token from the Chaos cup/bag... lets say you pull a -3, you still win: 4+1-3=2. The Ghoul has 2 life, but the Machete deals +1 damage, so you do 2 damage and the Ghoul is toast.

- The fight just took one action, so Roland spends the other 2 actions to Investigate. This time, he has a Magnifying Glass out which adds +1 to his Book test. So he has 3+1 against a Shroud value of 2. Draw a token and see if he passes.

I could keep going, but that's basically how a turn works. You have the list of Actions you can perform and if you don't have any immediate threats (monsters) those actions will generally be focused on either playing a great card to help you later, or investigating to get clues to progress the story.

If you have enemies out, you're going to be using Actions to either Fight or Evade those enemies. Roland is better at fighting, Wendy is better at evading.

For your first game, I'd suggest staying together and helping each other out. Don't be afraid to just lose. This is an Arkham game which means losing is expected, and part of the fun. Make mistakes and learn from those mistakes. Ignore the Campaign rules and just replay the same scenario again and again until you figure it out. You're going to have more questions about Evading, but hopefully this gets you started to where you can start to decipher the rule book a little and maybe come back with more specific questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cafin8d wrote:
This is an co-op game which means losing is expected

FTFY. The first scenario should be the easiest, but don't worry about failing or getting stuff wrong. Get through it and learn. This is why games need three plays before I consider them for my Top 50.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Braden Adam
msg tools
cafin8d wrote:
Okay

I cannot say thank you enough.

Your explanation made more sense to me than anything in the official rule guide.

Seriously can't extend my appreciation enough. Thank you so much for taking the time to write that, that's all I needed to get it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Megan Smith
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It might be worth watching a play through (or at least the first few turns of one), and not worrying about spoilers. The demo from gencon that team covenant recorded is nice. And the person running the demo introduces things as they are needed.
I find I have better luck understanding how rules hang together if I've seen them in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradenandpichi wrote:
cafin8d wrote:
Okay

I cannot say thank you enough.

Your explanation made more sense to me than anything in the official rule guide.

Seriously can't extend my appreciation enough. Thank you so much for taking the time to write that, that's all I needed to get it!

Horray! I'm pleased as punch.

Have fun getting eaten by Ghouls
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stewart
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
That was the epitome of helpful! Well done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.