United States
Stow
Ohio
flag msg tools
Push Cubes. Blow Stuff Up.
badge
MIND. BLOWN.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested in the base game but hear a lot about the "essential" but out-of-print expansion. Is it really essential? Do folks still enjoy the base game without Civilizations? Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sachs
United States
Woodinville
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Despite your hope, there is not even any inherent symbolism; gravity is simply a coincidence.
mbmbmbmbmb
Annowme wrote:
I'm interested in the base game but hear a lot about the "essential" but out-of-print expansion. Is it really essential? Do folks still enjoy the base game without Civilizations? Thoughts?

I'd put it this way: if there was no expansion, the base game would be great and well worth owning with excellent replayability. Does the expansion add good stuff? Absolutely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Clinite
msg tools
mbmb
Clash of Cultures is an amazing game, and from what I've seen of the expansion, it makes a great game even better. The expansion is not essential.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas S
msg tools
I was lucky enough to find the expansion, it's still sealed. I figure I'll open it when I feel like I've exhausted the base game. It hasn't happened yet.

My advice? Get it, it's great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recommend this recent thread
Reprint?

I have posted my thoughts in there multiple times. In short, the base game alone is one of my favorite games and the expansion is not needed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loren Cadelinia
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Base game is great. Because it integrates so smoothly and adds so much, this is one expansion that I'll never play CoC without. But if the expansion didn't exist, I wouldn't know any better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Grant
United States
Santa Clarita
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Will it bother you knowing there is an expansion for the game that will never be reprinted? Are you willing to fall in love with a game but be faced with paying 5x or 6x retail to continue your love affair?

The component quality is average. Art and graphic design are outstanding. The overall game design is brilliant and a lot of fun.

My group has hit the point where we need the expansion before this game will hit the table again. But none feel the need to pay OOP prices for it. Too many other good games out there.

It's a fun game but the absence of the expansion reduces replayability. It's a shame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually prefer the base game alone.
There are some things I like about the expansion (mainly the variety of combat units and new buildings) but I find the civs and leaders add too much stuff to keep track of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.