Hide
7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Settlers of Catan rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Macady Smith
msg tools
Im fairly new to board games but I have started my collection and I love playing all types of board games. However I don't have very many people to play my games with. Im slowly introducing them to my games and Im wondering what type of Settlers of Catan to get. I know there are many different versions and want to get one that I will enjoy playing and won't comfuse my family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Wilkinson
United States
New Castle
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
When asking "What would Jesus do?", remember that flipping over tables and using a whip are within the realm of possibilities.
mbmbmbmbmb
The current edition should be all you need.

Catan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Regular Catan is fine. Do a dummy playthrough yourself before trying to teach other players. It is fairly easy to learn. Here is a step by step tutorial. http://www.profeasy.com/Settlers_Boardgame/

Great game and different every time. Good mix of luck and strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To start, just the original: Catan.

If you like it, you can try some of the expansions or re-themes. I haven't tried any of those, but the original is fine enough for a family game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bojan Tonkovic
Croatia
flag msg tools
Mac345 wrote:
Im fairly new to board games but I have started my collection and I love playing all types of board games. However I don't have very many people to play my games with. Im slowly introducing them to my games and Im wondering what type of Settlers of Catan to get. I know there are many different versions and want to get one that I will enjoy playing and won't comfuse my family.

since you are new to board games, just to make it clear...

There is only one version /type of Catan (used to be called Settlers of Catan), all other games with Catan in title are expansions (or maybe some kind of variants like dice game or w/e)

Maybe you meant to ask what edition to get? its all the same game, but as for almost any game i would go for latest one...

oh yea, there are some implementations of Catan, like catan germany, egypt and similar... never played it, still think best bet is to go with classic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macady Smith
msg tools
I've played Settlers of Catan many times before but none of my family has. I just wanted to make sure I was getting the best one possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik G
Netherlands
Waalre
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bojan1983 wrote:
Mac345 wrote:

since you are new to board games, just to make it clear...

There is only one version /type of Catan (used to be called Settlers of Catan), all other games with Catan in title are expansions (or maybe some kind of variants like dice game or w/e)

Maybe you meant to ask what edition to get? its all the same game, but as for almost any game i would go for latest one...

oh yea, there are some implementations of Catan, like catan germany, egypt and similar... never played it, still think best bet is to go with classic

I think you already say it in your own post, but just to be clear: there are multiple versions of catan that you can play without needing the original base game. For example Catan Histories: Struggle for Rome.

However I totally agree with all of the above: go for the base game.

If you like the game and want to add some more to it, you can always expand it later with Catan: Cities & Knights or Catan: Seafarers, still the two best expansions for catan.
I would not buy any other expansion than that. There are so many nice games, with many different, fun, challenging and brain cracking mechanisms, why stay with this one game? If you need help, simply use this forum again .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.