Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
May the Force be with you.
badge
Good and evil; there never is one without the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Really not getting the Gambler's Chest. I see others have questions, too, but I can't seem to find any concrete answers (even the FAQ isn't 100% clear). I'm new to the game, which probably makes it even harder to get.

I get that it is being revealed slowly and randomly, but will the stuff be useful in the game, or just collectable?

So, for example, what is Nightmare Adam's role in the game?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Henschel

Colorado Springs
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's all in the update Tony. Nightmare Adam is a Visionary. He comes with the game cards for a Fighting Art and Philosophy. So basically he brings 2 new game cards to KDM and a new survivor model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It's definitely about gameplay.
It will add some bells and whistles to the game.
Nothing that will change the initial game dramatically but things that will improve it or even streamline it somehow.
The Nightmare Adam is still unclear of course but what we know so far is that it will add a fighting art and a new philosophy that will add to the new "philosophy of death" system (which is also introduced with the gambler's chest).
See it like a chest of medium to small but still numerous expansions or variants that would improve the overall experience.
You'll get something like 30 of these.
We also know that a t least 3 new "systems" will be introduced with this chest. Which means 3 new mechanics that will improve the gameplay.
I believe this Gambler's chest will be full of ideas that Poots had but that wouldn't fit any big expansion or anything else for that matter.
This chest is a gathering of those ideas and new mechanics.
Some will be like the tongue-in-cheek (Nightmare Adam is one probably but still useful) and others might be more..profound.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven S.
Germany
Bremen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

as you mentioned yourself, it isn't completely clear, how much impact the Gamblers Chest will finally have to the Boardgame. But as stated in the updates, the nightmare Adam will come with a fighting art (that's like a special ability your survivors may obtain during their short lives) and a new philosophy.

Philosophies seem to be a great new way of interpreting the Role of a single survivor for the settlement and will definitly have impact on the Game itself. That's my believe after reading the 'Philosophy of Death' discription.

So it's not just for your collection.

Hope this may help. After all, all you can do is wait (like all of us) and see what will be revealed until the campaign ends.

Sincerely,
Sven

[Edit] damn, while I was starting to answer, not a single answer was shown and now I'm the third. I'm too slow [/Edit]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Currie
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
Dignity. Always dignity!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since you're new to the game, I feel it's worth pointing out that he's never done anything quite like this before, so none of us really know what to expect.

That said, there are a few things we do know:
- The Gambler's box is a $100 add on that has pre-determined content, that is being revealed one day at a time, advent-calendar style
- The Philosophy of Death module appears to be a pretty substantial gameplay module that totally overhauls fighting arts
- Adam said in the comments that there are a total of 3 BIG systems in the box that change the game
- Nightmare Adam appears to be the inside joke of the box, which makes it confusing as the first new reveal. But it gives a new Fighting Art and a card that ties into the new Philosophy system

All in all, this box looks like it's going to be packed with gameplay content that modifies or adds to the existing system. You'll have a much better idea of what's in the box at the end of the campaign after more stuff is revealed, but I think it's going to be worth it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pflug
Germany
Schwäbisch Gmünd
Baden Würtemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will add some information about the gamblers chest to the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
Actually, I think that the gamblers box is another variant system collection. It's stated (somewhere in the box description, near the middle I think) that a rulebook was coming with the box titled Kingdom Death: Monster Advanced, and then he called that a working title.

I think the box is going to be a lot of variations you can opt to add to the game, like the Seven Swordmen or People of the Bone, but bigger.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm asking myself wether it will be worth $100. I guess it is a gamble one can still lose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J-P Latvala
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:
I'm asking myself wether it will be worth $100. I guess it is a gamble one can still lose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr Lee
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:

It's 30 items, even if on average each item is worth $10, you'll still be better off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
LarkinVB wrote:

Seeing as how that one Adam mini added today would normally go for $27 from the store by itself..? I'd say yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
A different thing is whether one would buy all those things separately.
Kingdom Death: Advanced Rulebook? Sure!

Adam Pin Up... not so much
Don't get me wrong. It's cool and kind of funny and Adam as a creator of what's shaping up to be a next big franchise definitely deserves this little honour. But I just don't see myself buying as a single miniature like this, the same way as I don't buy Halloween survivors or pinups.

I want game content! Still I believe the Advanced Rulebook by itself makes it worth the gamble and there are still 28 surprises in that box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
I Only say 1 and 100.
I am very sure that those dicerolls will contain the most interesting and most valuable stuff from the gamblers chest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.