Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
So my girlfriend is soon turning, 30...

So now I need to buy her a gift that she would love. Games seems like a good route to go.

She have enjoyed Carcasonne - The castle, Spank the monkey, Hansa and quizgames. She also do like Blokus and her homemade when she was a teen series of DungeonCrawler games.

Now she has some very specific interests. Robert Falcon Scott in specific, and polar explorers in general.

Alexander the great (so perhaps Alexander the Great)

and The Migration Period...

Oh and music, much folk music (Irish, Scottish, Swedish and US) and classic.

Are there any polar expleration games? Or something like that?

Or something completely different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Egan
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jewelry. Something with diamonds.

If it must be a game, how about Queen's Necklacebut replace the necklace included with a real one! Something really nice!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virre Linwendil Annergård
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
BettyEgan wrote:
Jewelry. Something with diamonds.

If it must be a game, how about Queen's Necklacebut replace the necklace included with a real one! Something really nice!

knowing my girlfriends view on cutsey thing, and what kind of jewlery she likes. No... (and knowing my economy, but an extra no in there)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Have faith
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Hey, That's My Fish!?

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the Migration Period?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's Conquest of Pangea, but I think the reviews are mixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crocker
United States
Westland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You ought to check out the listing here on BGG for "Marquis" by LudoArt. I have no idea how the game plays. I just picked this up a week ago in a clearance sale. The rules in my copy were in English and German (heck I know most of you Swedes speak English). The components are gorgeous. Very nice oversized cards with great artwork. A cloth bag of diamonds and rubies. About 30 very shiny and heavy metal gold colored coins. And all of it comes in a laser etched wooden box about 18cm x 18cm x 5 cm. Evidently it's going to set you back about 28 Euros.

My point is that your girlfriend is going to be depressed enough at turning 30. Rather than showing up with a mass produced title in shrinkwrap, you can hand her something like "Marquis"...that really looks like an expensive gift (and that you put some thought into the choice). And for God's sake, don't buy her a game that you also have wanting. And don't forget her favorite wine, or some flowers, or an elegant dinner, or something to go with it.

But if you really want to play it safe, then forget the game idea altogether, and get her some real jewelry instead. You can't go wrong with jewelry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Drake
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
I like pizza!
badge
I LIKE IT!!! ????
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't recommend getting a game, unless you want to abstain from sex for awhile. I got my wife the Buffy the Vampire Slayer game for a gift a few years ago (she really likes the series) and it was met with a very lackluster response. On the bright side, it was hit with the non-gamers game group (the people we usually play cards with).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Hussey
United States
Olympia
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a Cheapass game called Captain Park's Imaginary Polar Expedition -- perfect, yeah? Each player fraudulently pretends to have been a great polar explorer. Check the BGG entry for more info.

I have not played the game, but the Cheapass games are typically at least clever. They are also very cheap, so you could get a bunch of other non-game stuff as well. Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Gamesmeister99 wrote:
I wouldn't recommend getting a game, unless you want to abstain from sex for awhile.

laugh

For exploration games, perhaps Tikal or Entdecker: Exploring New Horizons.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
With only a tiny bit of experience with this sort of thing. instead of asking us, how about you ask her what she wants. If you dont want to directly ask, do it subtly.

Do you know what she likes in a game? does she just play for you because you enjoy it?

Make it personal if you really find out what she wants then she will be happy, she wont be happy when youve just gone on here and asked for suggestions for her.

If she only plays with you to make you happy, id really recommend not getting her a game for her birthday.

but here are some suggestions

Alaska
Himalaya
Entdecker: Exploring New Horizons
Oceania
Hey, That's My Fish!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
cull wrote:
How about Hey, That's My Fish!?

Forgive my ignorance, but what's the Migration Period?

Not until they fixed that horrible name the game got in Scandinavia.

And more on The Migration Period http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Migration_Period

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Krisjohn wrote:

The wrong migration period (;

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
jamesdavis wrote:
With only a tiny bit of experience with this sort of thing. instead of asking us, how about you ask her what she wants. If you dont want to directly ask, do it subtly.

Do you know what she likes in a game? does she just play for you because you enjoy it?

I asked her she wanted games...

I wrote in the first post what games she likes, oh add scrabble to that.

She don't. She enjoys game much... and long before ever getting to know me.

Ah, lets see through those games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nello Cozzolino
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Brascogames London U.K. www.brascogames.webs.com
mbmbmbmbmb
clocktowers
scream machine

soccer chess (2 players -> something different)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Tang
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Get her a "real" present & also a game. It is your hobby that she goes along with so a game won't really count. There is also Igloo Pop & Don't Break the Ice but many polar games are directed toward children.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin
United States
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jatang wrote:
Get her a "real" present & also a game. It is your hobby that she goes along with so a game won't really count.

I am not saying you are incorrect but you don't really know that for sure. Based his comments about his girlfriend and what games she likes, she sounds like a gamer to me. For our wedding anniversary my husband got me Runebound Sands of Al-Kalim and I saw that as a real present.

Come on guys. Virre said his girlfriend wanted a game.

virre wrote:
She have enjoyed Carcasonne - The castle, Spank the monkey, Hansa and quizgames. She also do like Blokus and her homemade when she was a teen series of DungeonCrawler games.

Please don't take this as an insult on language because I am far from bilingual, but are you saying she made her own dungeoncrawl games when she was a teenager? If so, I would suggest Drakon or Cave Troll. Those are light weight dungeoncrawl games.

I haven't played many exploration games, so I wouldn't know what to recommend. You may want to do a geeklist search on exploration games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hilary Hartman
United States
GLENNALLEN
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Just your friendly, neighborhood game player and superhero!
mbmbmbmbmb
Virre, might I suggest either:

Descent: Journeys in the Dark

or

Catan Histories: Struggle for Rome

The first would surely whet her dungeoncrawling appetite, while the second game deals with the various groups trying to take over Rome during the Migration Period. I've really been wanting to get the second game as I enjoy the one set in the period of the Stone Age.

Otherwise, I also agree with my wife's (Helenoftroy) recommendations.

Keep us posted!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
I've heard that Attila is a really good game (never played myself, can't vouch for it personally), and it seems right up the Migration Period alley that you're looking for. From the description:

"In 375 A.D., Attila's mounted Huns overran Europe causing the Germanic tribes in their path to flee and penetrate the outer provinces of the declining Roman empire. In Attila, the players influence the migrations of the Germanic tribes to the Roman empire. The winner is the player who has exerted the best influence on the most successful of the tribes."

Oh... and to the rest of you: Is it really that hard to believe that a girl would like a game as a present? I've bought my girlfriend/fiancee games (among other things) as gifts for as long as I can remember and she likes playing them as much as I do. She's probably more of a gamer than I am, actually. She might be disappointed if I got her nothing but games, but she's certainly never shown or expressed disappointment in getting games as gifts in general. She doesn't ask for them because she has no idea which games she might like, but she really does enjoy them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
Forza Bajen!
badge
... and still sober
mbmbmbmbmb
Helenoftroy wrote:

Please don't take this as an insult on language because I am far from bilingual, but are you saying she made her own dungeoncrawl games when she was a teenager? If so, I would suggest Drakon or Cave Troll. Those are light weight dungeoncrawl games.

I take that as I shouldn't write stuff when I'm tiered

(That wasn't the only wrong. The above polarexplorer number one should be Shackleton...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Denee Tyler
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really enjoy Lost Valley, which is an exploration game where you are looking for gold (don't know if you can find it in Sweden, though). It looks like it takes place in the Yukon/Alaska area, so its got snow for the Polar tie in. I agree with the above poster: get two gifts, one game and another one that fits in with another hobby/obsession. You'll score lots of points that way.

Good luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Johnson
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virre wrote:
Krisjohn wrote:

The wrong migration period (;

Bah. I was only a few... hundred... million... or so years off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Davis
Australia
Canberra
flag msg tools
I should also add Ingenious

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brü Meister
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whatever you do, don't mention the fact that you posted her age on the internet - she will be pissed!
As for games - always a risky proposition to buy for someone else.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.