Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have owned Red November for about 4 years now. And we have never beaten it. She pulled it out this weekend, telling my son's new girlfriend how "fun" this game was. I rolled my eyes and reminded her we have never beaten it. We played for 2+ hours. My son's girlfriend was quickly bored as we scrambled to fix things that broke almost immediately after we fixed them. It was even more hopeless than I remembered. Not a game I enjoy when the outcome is always the same...dying with no hope of saving a sub that we tried for over two hours to save.

My son's girlfriend enjoyed our other games we brought out over the weekend, like Game of Thrones: The Iron Throne, and Celestia, and Dixit, among others.

But...has anyone beaten Red November? Because we haven't figured this game out yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only played this once, and we won. Well actually, I lost, because I abandoned ship thinking it was hopeless towards the end and the others went on to just saving the ship.
We played with the maximum number of players, maybe that makes a difference...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Olaf Slomp
Netherlands
Moerkapelle
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This post would probably get more answers if posted in the red november forum, by the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played it once with at least for players and if I remember well we lost in the last few minutes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Liam
Scotland
flag msg tools
admin
I am BGG's official honey trap
mbmbmbmbmb
Moved from General Gaming to Red November: General.

We've beat it many times. Luck is a major factor - even if your playing optimumly, you can't afford to be unlucky. It is not 'solvable'.

The chaos though is pretty deliberately in the design. A fun and silly little game, that deserves more credit. 2 hrs sounds too long for what it is.

(Hmm might take it up the road for Christmas).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
I have won 4 out of 25 plays. Most of them have been solo with 4 gnomes.

Note that the number of characters affects the difficulty. Also remember that you can still win even if some gnomes die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Menzies

Montreal
Québec
msg tools
I haven't kept a tally, but I'd say I've won this game maybe 1/4 - 1/3 of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve O'Grady
United States
Jacksonville
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies. We will keep trying. It IS a fun game. I just didn't think it was a good gateway game for a new gamer.

And thanks for moving it to this forum. I have still not figured out how to post into a game forum, only know how to "post a new thread" into a General Gaming Forum. But I will figure that out one day too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Menzies

Montreal
Québec
msg tools
GeekDadGamer wrote:
It IS a fun game. I just didn't think it was a good gateway game for a new gamer.

I DO agree with you on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.