Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Finally played a couple of games today. Both were six player, and it felt excessively luck driven at this player count. Basically if you got cards that helped your species then you did well. If you had a poor draw then you were basically SOL. recurring poor draws meant you lost the game. It was also almost impossible to affect the Climate track. One large Carnivore pushing for cold could not compensate for 5 smaller (but protected!) omnivores pushing the warm button.

However, the reason for my post is this:
At one point the Desertification event was triggered. This meant no food in the Watering hole and almost all omnivores were unable to feed. This meant they all died out. Does the extinction happen immediately, meaning that carnivores do NOT have them available to feed off? Or does it happen after one round (Species dying off providing a temporary glut enabling Carnivores to feed one last time)? Or does it happen at the end of the feeding phase, meaning that all carnivores (and scavengers) can feed until the end of the turn?

We played the third option, but I am wondering if the second would be more thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pierre Beri
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Extinction by starvation happens at the end of the feeding phase, once every species has taken as much food as it can.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Traits like Long Neck, Migratory, Scavenger, Cooperation and Hibernation will prevent herbivores from going extinct even when there is no food in the watering hole.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
beri2 wrote:
Extinction by starvation happens at the end of the feeding phase, once every species has taken as much food as it can.

Yup, and I also think this is very thematic -- after all starving is a process that takes a while, giving hungry carnivores ample opportunity to prey on the animals as they get weaker (although of course technically they shouldn't give as much food towards the end...)

Of course, the next round, the carnivores get in trouble if there is nothing to feed on...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
GregDarcy wrote:
Finally played a couple of games today. Both were six player, and it felt excessively luck driven at this player count. Basically if you got cards that helped your species then you did well. If you had a poor draw then you were basically SOL. recurring poor draws meant you lost the game.

There are a few things I would recommend you keep in mind:
1) You do not need to play any cards on your turn.
2) You can discard all of your cards at the end of your turn and draw new cards.
3) If you don't play any cards on Population, Body Size, or create any new species, then you aren't taking any risks with your cards. You're simply going behind by 2 - 5 points (which is not a big deal).

So if you have a bad draw, only play cards as traits and discard the rest to draw new cards. If the species dies, you'll get your cards back and get a new species for free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
2) You can discard all of your cards at the end of your turn and draw new cards.
3) If you don't play any cards on Population, Body Size, or create any new species, then you aren't taking any risks with your cards. You're simply going behind by 2 - 5 points (which is not a big deal).

So if you have a bad draw, only play cards as traits and discard the rest to draw new cards. If the species dies, you'll get your cards back and get a new species for free.

I was playing 2 more games of Evolution:Climate last night with my wife, and that was exactly what I was telling her during our first game. She was always playing all or almost all her cards, thus she was always more affected by changes (because she has a low card hand) and she could not use the new ability to cycle some of our cards. She lost the first game of the night, but on the second one she follow my advice and won the game.

Another point I would add, it's not always a big deal either to lose a species (at least in my limited experience so far) as my wife was always trying to save her species from any threats (my carnivore, the climate or food going scarce), instead of focusing on her best species, and let die the non-adapted one(s) to get a bigger hand of cards next round and rebuild a better adapted species easily (as more cards mean more flexibility).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
GregDarcy wrote:
Finally played a couple of games today. Both were six player, and it felt excessively luck driven at this player count. Basically if you got cards that helped your species then you did well. If you had a poor draw then you were basically SOL. recurring poor draws meant you lost the game.

These are good points to keep in mind--and easy to forget (I still do). I've felt the same as the OP at times with this game; it can get really frustrating when you feel completely at the mercy of cards draws.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.