7 Posts

Age of Thieves» Forums » Rules

Subject: Hidden rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tee Cee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Is a thief who is hidden immune from cards that steal Jewels, such as the cog rod (i think it's called that) and the magpie? And also from having their jewels stolen by other thieves in general?
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slawek Stepien
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
Following rulebook (p. 12):
"Any thief who is hidden thanks to some effect
(e.g., a Reflective Clock action card) completely avoids detection."

It is the only benefit that hidden gives. So other players may steal the jewel and target hidden player with their cards.

Take a look on Smoke Granade:

"Each thief on a space with a smoke marker is hidden. Additionally, he is treated as if he had a theft marker in front of himself."

So, if hidden status would prevent from stealing, smoke marker would have no sense
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tee Cee
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Thanks for the reply - much appreciated! We felt that hidden was obvious in terms of interacting with guards, but not so much in terms of the interaction between thieves. Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhino King
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
slavekstepien wrote:
Following rulebook (p. 12):
"Any thief who is hidden thanks to some effect
(e.g., a Reflective Clock action card) completely avoids detection."

You could argue (and I think I did) that if they "avoid detection" that would (thematically and logically) mean that they avoid detection by guards and thieves. (If I'm wearing an invisibility cloak of some kind then it would make sense for me to be invisible to all, not just to some)

slavekstepien wrote:
It is the only benefit that hidden gives. So other players may steal the jewel and target hidden player with their cards.
Only if you assume that avoiding detection applies to guards only, see above.

slavekstepien wrote:
Take a look on Smoke Granade:

"Each thief on a space with a smoke marker is hidden. Additionally, he is treated as if he had a theft marker in front of himself."

So, if hidden status would prevent from stealing, smoke marker would have no sense :)
You could argue (apparently I like arguing!) that any explanation text on a smoke grenade is specific to that card. I mean if it was obvious from the rules, why would you need to specifically state it on the card?

Also, thematically, you could argue that the text of the card makes some kind of sense - you're wandering around in smoke, so no-one can see you, but you can't see any other thieves who may be bumbling around in the smoke picking the pockets of everyone they bump into - therefore they could steal from you without necessarily seeing you. But that doesn't imply that therefore they could steal from you while you have an invisibility cloak (as you would see them coming and move out of their way while they have no idea you're there...)

So, to me, the rules are unclear. So there should be an FAQ/addendum that specifically states if other thieves can see a hidden thief or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
We don't think that these mere tricks would fool the masters of shadows, the grand arch-thieves. But to answer your question more seriously - players are hidden from the guards only because 'detection' is the word referring only to the act of seeing or hearing a thief by a guard and the 'hidden' keyword is explained as Any thief who is hidden thanks to some effect(e.g., a Reflective Clock action card) completely avoids detection. Hope this will help to clarify the rules for you for now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhino King
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ok, thanks. That resolves it for me, but it would still be better to state it explicitly, rather that hoping people figure it out by making the connection between the meaning of specific words. Maybe an FAQ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wydawnictwo Galakta
Poland
Kraków
Małopolskie
flag msg tools
publisher
We are collecting all the questions that appear and will do the FAQ if there will be more unclear rules. Thanks for the suggestion!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.