$20.00
$60.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
19 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Exhausting an enemy/Prey/ lita ally questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
art g
United States
California
flag msg tools
1) Hey guys! I was wondering if there are any other ways to exhaust an enemy other than evading it. I know if an investigator evades a monster, then it becomes exhausted. However, is there no other way to exhaust an enemy?

For a moment, I thought that fighting and dealing damage to a monster would exhaust it, but I found nothing mentioned in the rule-books so I didn't play that way. Just wondering?

2) Also, one of the monsters I drew from the encounter deck had the prey option on it that said prey on an investigator with lowest health. Now, the question is does that monster stay in the location of the investigator who drew it? Or does it go to the investigator on a different space and engage them because of it's prey ability?

I had a scenario where I was on the hallway and my partner investigator was in the attic, and I drew the prey monster. I figured since I was the one who drew the encounter monster card that it should stay in my location and it's prey ability only function in my location. Since I was only investigator in hallway, it engaged me. Instead of it going to attack and engaging other investigator who had lower health.

3) After you pass the lore test in order to parlay and receive Lita, it says the investigator "controls" her. Does this mean she automatically comes into my asset area in-play on the field? Or does the Lita asset card come to my hand and I have to use an action to play her?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Burns
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) I can't remember if there any cards that exhaust directly (though there are plenty that evade as an effect), so off the top of my head, I'd say "No" - unless you include those cards that offer evade (e.g. Stray Cat).

2) Prey and Hunter are a bit confusing. Hunter is what makes the monster move from space to space. Prey just defines what it attacks when it has a choice of who to engage. A card with Prey but not Hunter will stay in the location it was drawn (but it will move with an investigator it is engaged with).

Sounds like you played it correctly.

3) We played it as she became an asset in field automatically. Our reasoning was that otherwise the text would've said "add her to your hand". But we could be wrong
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
1. Yeah, can't think of any "exhaust an enemy" cards in the game yet. Stray Cat and Cunning Distraction grant auto-evasion and Blinding Light has you making an evasion test, but I'm not sure either are quite what you're looking for.

2. Be aware of situations such as: There are four locations, Warehouses 1, 2, 3 and 4, all in a line that connect in sequence. Roland is at warehouse 1 and Wendy is at warehouse 4. A big old monster spawns at warehouse 3 and the monster has Hunter and Prey:Highest Combat. Roland is two spaces away and Wendy is 1 space away in the opposite direction. The monster's prey target here is Roland, but it will hunt toward Wendy.

3. I think the specific way to look at this is that Lita is in play at the point of the Parley test and she just switches control (from the scenario's control to a player's control). She doesn't go to anyone's hand because that would be removing her from play, an effect which certainly would be mentioned. All that alters about her game state is the controller.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
art g
United States
California
flag msg tools
Noaloha wrote:
2. Be aware of situations such as: There are four locations, Warehouses 1, 2, 3 and 4, all in a line that connect in sequence. Roland is at warehouse 1 and Wendy is at warehouse 4. A big old monster spawns at warehouse 3 and the monster has Hunter and Prey:Highest Combat. Roland is two spaces away and Wendy is 1 space away in the opposite direction. The monster's prey target here is Roland, but it will hunt toward Wendy.


So wait if it hunts towards Wendy, but it's prey is Roland. Does that mean it moves towards Wendy but doesn't engage with her since Roland is the prey? Or how does that part work. A little confusing. =/

Btw, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and clear these confusions up for me everybody!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
artog11 wrote:
Noaloha wrote:
2. Be aware of situations such as: There are four locations, Warehouses 1, 2, 3 and 4, all in a line that connect in sequence. Roland is at warehouse 1 and Wendy is at warehouse 4. A big old monster spawns at warehouse 3 and the monster has Hunter and Prey:Highest Combat. Roland is two spaces away and Wendy is 1 space away in the opposite direction. The monster's prey target here is Roland, but it will hunt toward Wendy.


So wait if it hunts towards Wendy, but it's prey is Roland. Does that mean it moves towards Wendy but doesn't engage with her since Roland is the prey? Or how does that part work. A little confusing. =/

Btw, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions and clear these confusions up for me everybody!

Hunter causes an enemy to move towards the nearest investigator, regardless of Prey.

Prey determines which direction a Hunter will go, or which investigator an enemy will engage, when there are two or more equally valid options.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
artog11 wrote:
So wait if it hunts towards Wendy, but it's prey is Roland. Does that mean it moves towards Wendy but doesn't engage with her since Roland is the prey? Or how does that part work. A little confusing. =/


Further to Scott's explanation, the monster will absolutely yes totally engage with Wendy. Unless it's also Aloof.

At no point can any ready enemy share a location with an investigator and not be engaged with at least one of them. Unless it's Aloof.

The enemy moves into Wendy's location in that example and immediately engages her. Then it attacks.


(I'm now thinking about how an enemy with Hunter, Prey:X and Aloof might work. Just some creepy creeper thing, with a certain type, that won't stop glancing over at you and coincidentally follows you from room to room.)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
art g
United States
California
flag msg tools
Wonderful! I get it now. Thanks all, you're the best.

One final question I have to ask. At the end of scenario's, in a campaign, do the damages to health/sanity recover or do they carry over to the next scenario? I don't mean trauma by the way.

For example, before scenario 1 ends let's say ghoul priest does one attack on Roland. So, Roland now has 2 physical and mental damage on it's sheet. Then let's say Priest is defeated and scenario ends. Do those damages carry over or are they wiped clean?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
artog11 wrote:
Wonderful! I get it now. Thanks all, you're the best.

One final question I have to ask. At the end of scenario's, in a campaign, do the damages to health/sanity recover or do they carry over to the next scenario? I don't mean trauma by the way.

For example, before scenario 1 ends let's say ghoul priest does one attack on Roland. So, Roland now has 2 physical and mental damage on it's sheet. Then let's say Priest is defeated and scenario ends. Do those damages carry over or are they wiped clean?

They are wiped clean.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Hunter causes an enemy to move towards the nearest investigator, regardless of Prey.


That's almost completely true, but there's one exception:

A Hunter enemy with a Prey that lists "only" will only move towards whatever its preferred Prey is.

So if an enemy said "Hunter. Prey: Highest Combat only", it would chase Roland all around the map, and never follow Wendy. That being said, if Wendy ended up in the same location as this enemy, it would engage with her if possible (and Roland wasn't around).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:
Scorpion0x17 wrote:
Hunter causes an enemy to move towards the nearest investigator, regardless of Prey.


That's almost completely true, but there's one exception:

A Hunter enemy with a Prey that lists "only" will only move towards whatever its preferred Prey is.

Cool. Thanks. Have not come across that yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Siegfried
Japan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:


So if an enemy said "Hunter. Prey: Highest Combat only", it would chase Roland all around the map, and never follow Wendy. That being said, if Wendy ended up in the same location as this enemy, it would engage with her if possible (and Roland wasn't around).


Actually, is this correct?

RR states,

"If an enemy’s prey instructions contain the word “only,” that enemy only moves towards and engages that investigator (as if it were the only investigator in play), and ignores all other investigators while moving and engaging. Other investigators may use the engage action or card abilities to engage the enemy."

Even if Wendy was in the same location, this makes it sound like it would ignore her and keeping hunting after Roland, unless she chose to engage it.

Am I reading this incorrectly?
6 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Butaman551 wrote:
Am I reading this incorrectly?


No, you're right! Thank you for the catch! I had too many windows open and wasn't thorough on double-checking everything. Kudos!
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Now, this is what this community should be about!

No snippy or snarky remarks about how this, or that, person should have read the rules, just straightforward gamers helping gamers.

Well done, guys!

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Agreed, I had entirely missed that there could be an 'only' added to a Prey preference. Very grateful for the clarifications.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
Noaloha wrote:
(I'm now thinking about how an enemy with Hunter, Prey:X and Aloof might work. Just some creepy creeper thing, with a certain type, that won't stop glancing over at you and coincidentally follows you from room to room.)


You could get some interesting effects with that...

Quote:
Cleaner
Humanoid. Agent.

Hunter. Prey (highest intellect only). Aloof.

This location has +2 Shroud. Cleaner cannot be the target of an Engage action.
Forced: After an investigator fails an Investigate test at this location, that investigator takes one horror for each point by which he or she failed.
[Action] Investigate. If you succeed, engage Cleaner.


Quote:
Eater of Dreams
Monster. Nightmare.

Hunter. Prey (lowest remaining sanity). Aloof.

During the Enemy phase, Eater of Dreams loses Aloof and gains Massive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Haha, give that Cleaner a half-decent combat score and he'd be terrifying.

The one I came up with was something like a weakness enemy that spawns at set-up, with the scenario being you're a guest at Arkham Sanitarium.

Quote:
Asylum Attendant
combat:2 /// health:3*investigator /// evasion:2
Humanoid. Guard.

Prey - Bearer only.
Hunter. Aloof.

If Asylum Attendant is at your location at the end
of the upkeep phase, remove all resources from your
pool and return all assets you control that are in
play to your deck. Shuffle your deck.

If Asylum Attendant has any damage on it: Asylum
Attendant loses Prey. At the end of the enemy phase,
Asylum Attendant moves toward the nearest location
with an Alarm.


Then throw an alternative advancement condition on the Act perhaps, "At the end of the enemy phase, if a Guard without Prey is at a location with Alarm, (->R3)"


Not a chance all that would fit on a single enemy card though.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
123 Fake Street
msg tools
mbmbmb
Noaloha wrote:
At no point can any ready enemy share a location with an investigator and not be engaged with at least one of them. Unless it's Aloof.


This isn't strictly true, is it? In my recollection there is a rogue card that allows a character to disengage from enemies and move to a new location. Doesn't this make the enemy ready at the location, but not engaged with a character until the enemy phase when they will hunt/engage/attack?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
For the rules equivalent of a split second, you might consider that enemy both ready and at the same location as an investigator, but the disengagement and movement essentially happen back-to-back without the enemy being able to re-engage you before you hop over to another location. As soon as you've finished processing the effects of that card, the enemy will immediately re-engage with any other investigator that is at that location. It doesn't stay disengaged while it waits for the enemy phase. If you use that card in a location with another investigator, it functions not just as a movement but also a "here, a gift, enjoy this monster, byeeee.." (assuming the monster isn't aloof or 'prey:you only').
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
markhw wrote:
Noaloha wrote:
At no point can any ready enemy share a location with an investigator and not be engaged with at least one of them. Unless it's Aloof.


This isn't strictly true, is it? In my recollection there is a rogue card that allows a character to disengage from enemies and move to a new location. Doesn't this make the enemy ready at the location, but not engaged with a character until the enemy phase when they will hunt/engage/attack?


Some Rogue and Survivor cards can indeed disengage your enemies and then move you away, but as they don't exhaust the enemies they leave behind, this just means the enemies immediately engage anyone who is still in their location.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.