9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Christmas present for grandma rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
My grandma likes playing simple games (like Solitaire, Mahjong, ...) on her iPad. I was thinking about giving her some small card/board game for Christmas. Requirements for a game would be:
- playable solo, but with the possibility to add another player (or even up to 4 players in total)
- VERY simple rules
- little to no setup time, ideally just put cards on the table
- no scifi, fantasy, zombies, etc

Any ideas?

/Tim

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that comes to mind is Tantrix. I know in it's base form it's more of a puzzle than a game, but it is a simple to set up challenge and can be played as a multi-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwirkle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebecca Jensen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nadigames93 wrote:

+1 for Qwirkle. A friend of mine who is more of a classic card game player than a board game player borrowed my Qwirkle set and played it by herself!

I own the smaller travel set, which I love... so if overall space is important, get that. However, the regular set has huge tiles, and if visual impairment is an issue... get that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
nadigames93 wrote:

Thanks, but that seems to be 2-4 players only?! No solo variant?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim H
Germany
flag msg tools
oneshallstand wrote:
The first thing that comes to mind is Tantrix. I know in it's base form it's more of a puzzle than a game, but it is a simple to set up challenge and can be played as a multi-player game.

Looks interesting, thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Morgan
United States
Moore
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since she likes playing on her iPad why not get her an iTunes gift card. http://www.boardgamesdigital.com/ has what appears to be a pretty comprehensive list. Other than Ticket to Ride I haven't played any of the digital implementations since I don't have an iPad so I'm not sure which to recommend. The Ticket to Ride implementation is a good one though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rita Chen
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Limes is a good solo tile-laying game that you can play solo or with a partner. There are one or two tile/meeple placement rules and only four scoring rules to remember, so, very simple overall: you just lay tiles and meeples down on the table and then score them up after 10-20 minutes. It's barely thematic (just landscapes) so if she's mostly used to card games or mahjong it shouldn't put her off.

Onirim might also work. It's a popular solo card game that you can also play cooperatively with two. It'd be a tad harder to learn & remember than something like Limes, but still fairly simple. The art is pretty and dreamy without being too fantasy-themed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nadine Grech
Malta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ymd_fallen wrote:
nadigames93 wrote:

Thanks, but that seems to be 2-4 players only?! No solo variant?

Yes, there is. Here:
Solitaire variant

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.