15 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Ideas for wedding games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Dokter
Canada
flag msg tools
I'm the gamer in the relationship and my fiance has given me permission to incorporate boardgames in some way to our wedding reception. There'll be roughly 8-10 tables of 8-10 people.

So far, my best suggestion has been to have some kind of wedding themed version of Telestrations at each table as a bit of a fun pre-dinner activity while people are waiting their turns for the buffet.

My fiance is more creative and visual (favourite games include Dixit, Telestrations, and Carcasonne) while I'm open to a wider variety of genres (but often lack the company to play heavier games). Coastal colours are part of our theme and most decor is fairly minimalist in design so I'm also looking for ideas that fit within those (ie no giant Jenga tower in the corner).

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Marx
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How about wedding themed versions of Codenames? I have been working on a set of cards for the holiday season to play with my friends and you could print the words and the agent cards on something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Avery-Two-Side-Printable-Business-088... in your wedding colors. You could even use pictures of your fiance and yourself for the agents. Maybe from your engagement photos if you had some taken? Of if you like costumes, you could dress like spies and have photos taken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I was asked to organize games at a wedding I would say "Thank you ! ... But no thanks !": I don't think you should "push" gaming towards people who are not into this, especially in a non-gaming event.

Also, all the "party" (made for 6+ persons) games I know are based on 2 things: competence and trust/bluff. People seems to get quite angry/passionate when their competences are questioned ... and I wouldn't bring trust questioning at a wedding.

In the other hand, I have to confess I have never been to a wedding so I don't really know how things are there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Platt
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
You're just gonna make the non-gamers feel uncomfortable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sherri Marx
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The other thing that popped into my head was a custom print version of Taboo. You could use the same type of cards I noted in the previous post about Codenames. And for anyone who ever saw the TV show Password, they likely already understand the rules, so you might be able to get some of the older attendees to play. Plus it is a team game so less stress about not being good at it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Greig
United Kingdom
Oxford
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I had board games at our reception, and it went down really well, even with the non-gamers. We put a range of games out, mostly at the lighter and quicker end of the spectrum, things like Carcassonne and Dixit were particularly popular.

We also had Ankh Morpork, because a lot of the guests were familiar with the books, and Codenames, Get Bit, Patchwork, and a few packs of cards too. I think might have had Perudo, and I seem to recall Avalon was a hit... we put some mainstream games like Scrabble and Upwords out as well.

We were lucky, because we had two rooms, and free run of the hotel grounds, so we just stacked them up on tables in one room, and let people pick and choose - those that wanted to could play, and those that didn't weren't forced to.

Best advice is put out a range of things, and pick games without too many bits to lose!

Hope you both have a wonderful day!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have a normal reception, then have games afterwards with those who want to stay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talmadge
United States
Clinton
CT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dancing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
In every well-made snare trap dangles a
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmbmb
Nobody should wed a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carmen
New Zealand
Whangarei
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I think games where you can sit and watch and then opt in, and also opt out easily without affecting play are fine for non-gamers. They can watch and then start playing as they feel comfortable. Also means people can move around the tables should they want to mix and mingle and not feel forced to remain in the game. CODEWORDS style is great.

It is a great idea to incorporate this into your wedding especially if you have tables that don't know each other well or at all - makes a great ice-breaker.

I have been at tables where there was little talk because of being strangers and you couldn't talk or hear each other properly due to the table size seating 8 in a circle with large centre displays. You end up talking only to the people beside you (usually one of them is your partner). Light games provide a premise to interact.

My suggestion is to theme the games around the couple rather than weddings or both. If you make up your own games (based on classics and some new games) you can have them as gifts your guests can take with them.

Some old classics could be fun for some mischievous guests. If tiddlywinks was on my table it would soon turn into 'wine pong'. You may need to be careful about what games you put where devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
YellowMeeple wrote:
My wife and I had board games at our reception, and it went down really well, even with the non-gamers. We put a range of games out, mostly at the lighter and quicker end of the spectrum, things like Carcassonne and Dixit were particularly popular.

We also had Ankh Morpork, because a lot of the guests were familiar with the books, and Codenames, Get Bit, Patchwork, and a few packs of cards too. I think might have had Perudo, and I seem to recall Avalon was a hit... we put some mainstream games like Scrabble and Upwords out as well.

We were lucky, because we had two rooms, and free run of the hotel grounds, so we just stacked them up on tables in one room, and let people pick and choose - those that wanted to could play, and those that didn't weren't forced to.

Best advice is put out a range of things, and pick games without too many bits to lose!

Hope you both have a wonderful day!

We did this too. We just stacked some games on a side table and let people know they were welcome to play. I would suggest a good sign.

Some people don't enjoy the typical fare at a reception: small talk, dancing, etc., so I think it's great to offer something different. At least one table at our small reception pulled out a game and had a blast, so I think it was worth the minimal effort.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Boulo
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest one big game of Dixit.

Put a number of cards (how many depends on how long you want it to last) in an envelope on each table & at some point during the reception, you can ask your guests to open it & look at the cards inside but keep them hidden from the other tables.

Same rules as the regular game, but the clues given should relate to the newlywed in some ways so when the right card gets revealed, someone will have hopefully a nice story to explain what the clue meant & every one will learn something about the new couple.

All you need is a way to show all the cards selected for the voting & maybe the best man and/or bridesmaid as game master.

Have fun

Nick 'The Prophet'
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dokter
Canada
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the suggestions! Definitely don't plan on making it a major focus or mandatory. Just figured it could serve as a nice icebreaker and a good alternative for those that don't want to dance or while waiting for their table's turn for the buffet. I like the idea of just having a side table of games for those that want to play rather than trying to improvise a wedding themed version of an existing game. That said, a game like Say Anything could provide some laughs for participants and observers alike

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Stephen
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was recently at a wedding where the reception was a games night.

Out of those at the wedding, there was perhaps 4-5 people who were happy with the idea. The rest just didn't see the point or want to play.

People going to receptions are looking to drink, dance and have fun. Not sit and play games.

I'm not saying it can't work, but of my 1 experience, it really didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Birmingham
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At my wedding, every place set in the dining hall had a little box. Each little box had 1 of 3 possible meeples of either a villager, werewolf or hunter (from Meeple Source) along with a heart. Instructions were printed out for each table as well.

At the ordained time, my best man made the announcement of the start of the game and rules. Basically a dumbed dumb version of Werewolf. Everybody secretly looked at their figure and once the game started you were to go around and secretly compare your figure to anybody else and basically it was rock/paper/scissors. If a villager and a werewolf meet, the werewolf eats the villager (denoting by taking the heart from that person). They are now out. If a villager and a hunter meet, the villager kills the hunter. If a hunter and werewolf meet, hunter kills werewolf.

At the end say 30 min or so, end the game and the person (or persons) who got the most hearts got a free copy of Werewolf to take home. A silly game but mainly a way to get people to mix, along with giving everybody a neat meeple and the winners a game. Everybody seemed to enjoy it so I considered it a success. You could even get more elaborate by adding in random other meeples (say a Cthuhlu meeple with some special power) or bride and groom meeples (who are immune so the special couple don't "die" on their wedding day).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.