Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Smith
United Kingdom
SKIPTON
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello all,

So my 5 year old boy is already showing a lot of interest in board games and my collection.

Really excited and want to build this without putting him off ☺️

So we have lots of games for very young children but wound love something that can bridge the gap a little.

Has any one got any good tips or their own games that have worked well with children?

Christmas is coming

Thank you,
Nick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Buchanan
China
Shenyang
Liaoning
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is pretty much where I've gotten to with my geeklist on my own experiences so far, here.

I worry that i may have babied him a little, as when he got his hands on Sushi Go, Dino Hunt and Assault on Hoth he kind of exceeded my expectations. I was thinking about the junior edition of Carcassonne, but think I'd rather track down Hunters and Gatherers instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I have had good experiences for that age-range with the following games (most have some memory element):

The Magic Labyrinth - a labyrinth with "invisible" walls!
Chicken Cha Cha Cha - try to steal everybody's feathers
Monza - simple race game, dice chucker
Spot it! - this one is pretty lively, spot the common animals between cards
Rory's Story Cubes - this is more an activity than a game
Game Over - save the princess through a "memory" maze
Mausgetrixt - a game with two teams, the goats that try to protect their carrots, and the mice that try to steal them. The game combines memory, dice and deduction. Great components, very often requested.
Tier auf Tier: Das Duell - super simple and quick dexterity game, often requested.

Depending on how your kid is doing with holding a pen, you might try Loony Quest

As usually, these recommendations may be slightly off, depending on the development stage of your kid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sarah
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I've just spend the last year doing exactly that with my little one who's just turned six and we've found lots of games that worked with her. Sometimes, the strategy isn't completely there initially but she soon picks up by watching the other players and it makes her very hapy to have that ahhhhhhh moment. I always make sure it games that have enough luck to balance this and that her lack of strategy isn't obvious to her as this would cause frustration. Intuitive games and theme she enjoys also help. These are the games we've had a lot of of luck with from the beginning of five or earlier:

The Little Prince: Make Me a Planet (family favourite)
Tales & Games: The Hare & the Tortoise
Survive: Escape from Atlantis!
Carcassonne: Over Hill and Dale - (family fav) much more intuitive/accessable than original carc
River Dragons - fav pre-programmed movement
Celestia
Birds of a Feather
Escape from the Hidden Castle
Karuba
Labyrinth
King of Tokyo
Unnamed Object -First game she liked when 4 and is good fun.

Slightly later in the year:
The Downfall of Pompeii - family favourite
Dixit
Saboteur
Garden Dice
Adventure Land

anything co-op flopped badly with us but I know there's many other kids liked. TTR flopped badly too - the first game ever she refused to finish lol!

Her favourite more kid orientated ones for when she's not in the mood for anything heavy and I don't mind are:
The Little Prince: Rising to the Stars - good bridge from roll and moves and like a simple tokaido
Crossing
Loony Quest
Whoowasit?
Terror in Meeple City
Pictureka! (much better than spot it/dobble

She's just started on Jamaica, Room 25, and Mission: Red Planet (Second Edition) and has askd to learn Port Royal so we'll see how it goes with them (jamaica seems fine so far) and we're buying Colt Express,Steam Park, captain carcass version of Dead Man's Draw and Dream Home for christmas - these last two might work for earlier

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Meynell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
My five year old boy has recently started playing more games, he started with his nine year old sister a couple of years back with Sleeping Queens and Hey Thats My Fish and has progressed from there.
Since he turned five we have moved on to
Ticket to Ride Europe (with a few alterations to the rules)
Camel Up
Panic Lab
Monster Cafe
King of Tokyo

Last week was a real success with a few games of Cthulhu Dice and Skull!
And just today was his first game of Forbidden Island.

Just can't wait until he wants to play Descent!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmbmbmb
Viva Topo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like you already own Carcassonne. Carcassonne sans farmers is really great with kids. Playing kids' games with kids is also great, but it does make them feel great to pull out a game you normally play with adults.

Some favorites of my young kids:

Sleeping Queens
Niya
Piratatak
Tsuro
Hoot Owl Hoot

I have also had a good time introducing my 5 year old to Forbidden Island. It is a good game to make easier while they are catching on -- just increase the hand limit and start a notch or two below novice until they seem ready to make it harder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dungeon. My kids pretty much all started with that one.

Coops are great too, since you can legally help them. Consider:

Forbidden island
Forbidden desert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Smith
United Kingdom
SKIPTON
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thank you all for some quality recommendations, I will now start the process of diggin through and finding some suitable presents!!

This is great!

Nick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Pluim
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My wife and I recently played Carcassonne with our 4 year old. We didn't place any meeples in the field, so she only had to worry about the roads, cities, and monasteries.

We occasionally had to say "Okay that piece can go here, here, or here. Where would you like to put it?", but she was able to usually pick the best place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.