Subject: Specifik wargames needed (two player, intro, low playtime) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This year I fell in love with Liberty or Death. And while my wife likes it its a tad to complex (ie it has to many options and rules exceptions) and the gamelength is too long for her.
Still I love it solo and it has made me very interested in Consims.

But I want a wargames that I can play with the wife and she is very interested in it aswell.
Here is what I am searching for.

Playtime: max 2 hours
Complexity: Around the level of Twilight Struggle is perfectly fine. The main thing that throws her of in LoD is rules exceptions, so a wargames with a lower amount of these would be prefered
Count: Should work well with two players. I dont mind it beeing designed for more but having to control multiple factions might be an issue for her, unless their actions are the same/close to the same.
Theme: She really likes the tudor era and the stories about Henry VIII. Ancient history and rome is fine aswell. No fantasy or Scifi. We want historical games.

Thanks in advance

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could check out the Commands & Colors: Ancients franchise, for the Antiquity period.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexFS wrote:
You could check out the Commands & Colors: Ancients franchise, for the Antiquity period.

How does it differ from Memoir?
We felt setup and tear down was way to much for how little game in Memoir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Debije
Netherlands
Eindhoven
The Netherlands
flag msg tools
Not the right era, but I quite like Days of Ire: Budapest 1956.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Sometimes I'm the shark; sometimes I'm the swimmer.
mbmbmbmbmb
The timeframe isn't right, but everything else is. You might look at Battles of the Bulge: Celles which is a great two player game that is complex enough to be interesting but not overwhelming. I believe it is on sale from the publishers website right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Broggi
United States
Southwick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My favorite light war games are 1775: Rebellion and 1812: The Invasion of Canada. I love the system, simple but strategic. They are coming out with a couple more in the series: 878: Vikings – Invasions of England and 1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after more talk with the wife and you guys suggestions I think we are going for a block game.

Now which one to get?

Ancients vs Crusader Rex vs Richard III?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sephakay wrote:
So after more talk with the wife and you guys suggestions I think we are going for a block game.

Now which one to get?

Command & Colors: Ancients isn't a block game. While the stickers are mounted on upright blocks, the information is on both sides, so it isn't hidden from the opponent -- the hallmark of a block game.

Crusader Rex and Richard III: The Wars of the Roses are true block games, but I haven't played either. I have played Hammer of the Scots, and it's excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldard wrote:
Sephakay wrote:

Now which one to get?

Command & Colors: Ancients isn't a block game. While the stickers are mounted on upright blocks, the information is on both sides, so it isn't hidden from the opponent -- the hallmark of a block game.

Crusader Rex and Richard III: The Wars of the Roses are true block games, but I haven't played either. I have played Hammer of the Scots, and it's excellent.

Thanks a ton. That ruled out Ancients for me, since the main draw for my wife was the Fog of war aspect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Iordache
Romania
Bucharest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Julius Caesar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Just a quick note to also check out Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan. It's not in your wife's preferred historical period, but it's a low-complexity block game that looks great, plays fairly quickly (expect your first games to go to 2.5-3 hours, but times should go down with experience), relates to its historical theme, and is excellent overall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Malbon
United States
Santa Cruz
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
iadrianik wrote:

Caesar seconded. Great intro block wargame with lots of strategy, options, and very few exceptions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Isaksen
Denmark
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sixthecat wrote:
iadrianik wrote:

Caesar seconded. Great intro block wargame with lots of strategy, options, and very few exceptions.

We are abit scared by the luck factor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Turczi
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mi_de wrote:
Not the right era, but I quite like Days of Ire: Budapest 1956.

I came here to shamelessly plug my own, but I'm pleasantly surprised
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Spak
United States
Spencer
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Four Battles of the Ancient World,
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.