Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are some variants. They can be picked and mixed. The intent behind some is to lengthen the game, while others just add a bit more depth and strategy. Even with a few of these in force you will have a game that is more streamlined than the first edition.

Secret Placement of Initial Agents
Each player writes down secretly and simultaneously where their 2 initial Agents will start. These placements are then revealed.

Moving the Track of the Opposite Identity
An arrow that can be used to move the marker up either the Loyalist or Restorationist track by 2 or 3 can instead be used to move the marker down on the other track by 1.
or
If you take the Move Markers action you may choose to use some arrows to move the marker down on the other track instead of on the track of their normal identity. Add up the values of all the arrows that you wish to use in this way and then halve the total (round down), moving the other track down by this halved value.

Longer Royalist and Restorationist Tracks
Lengthen the Loyalist and Restorationist tracks by one: count the 0 spaces as part of the tracks, with the markers beginning in the space to the left of that. A marker in the 0 space or the start space is worth 0.

Agents can defend against Assassination
Each agent that a player has in a city adds 1 to the defense value against assassination of his agents in that city.
and/or
Each agent of a revealed Loyalist may add 1 to the defense value against assassination of a Royalty card in the city they are in. It is up to the owner of each agent in question as to whether to do this (declare in turn order).

Assassinating Agents
When you assassinate an agent you permanently remove an agent card from the opponents' discard pile. This is the one that is uppermost in his/her discard pile. If there is not one in the discard pile then do not lose one. If that card carries victory points then these are lost.
or
When you place an agent you put an identifier counter under that Agent. If that agent is assassinated then you lose that card permanently from your Draw or Discard pile. If that card carries victory points then these are lost. Shuffle the Draw pile afterwards if you have to look through it.

Long Journeys
Not all cities are only one move apart. There are 2 areas to the board: The North (London, Paris, Berlin, Vienna, St. Petersburg); The South (Madrid, Rome, Cairo and Constantinople). All cities in the same area that are adjacent, including Rome and Cairo, are 1 move apart. All other cities in the same area are 2 moves apart. A city in one area is always 2 moves away from a city in the other area. An Agent could make a 2 move journey during the same Move Agent action if two move symbols were used for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cosco
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Some great ideas here, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos López
msg tools
Some nice changes here. I can definitely understand why you want to lengthen the faction tracks, I've only played once but it seems with the right circunstances someone could finish the game really early. Discarding an agent card when killing one looks promising too, and makes sense thematically.

Having said that, the thing that bugged me the most is the almost complete lack of deck cleaning mechanics for a deckbuilder. I really miss some way to take out the cards you no longer want. With just 1 play I'm not confident enough with the game to make my own variants yet, but if I decide to keep the game, I'm gonna houserule the heck out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Smith
United Kingdom
Wigton
Cumbria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think its over too quickly for gaining much efficiency from deck clearing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos López
msg tools
You're probably right, but thats exactly why I'd like to take some stuff out of the deck. You get cool new cards and want to play with them, not just cycle the same basic stuff all the time. That feeling of "is it already finished?? But I barely started to have fun..."

I'm not a fan of the setup either. I hate when games require ordering and separating specific cards, arrange them in a particular them and then shuffle many different decks. I think this game would turn out pretty similar if you just drew cards from just 1 deck and put city and royalty cards in their proper place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pinchazumos wrote:
I think this game would turn out pretty similar if you just drew cards from just 1 deck and put city and royalty cards in their proper place.

You'd have to find a way to track how many cards have been bought from each city.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yournsplace
United States
Raleigh
NC
flag msg tools
I AM the Black Mirror
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
we need a solo shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.