12 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Allys taking damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kevin Witt
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi, I have a rules question on Allys taking damage for me.
Today I have Dr Milan Christopher in play. He has 1 health and 2 sanity.
I got attacked by the Ghoul Priest who does 2 health and 2 mental damage.
Can I assign 2 mental damage and 1 health to Dr Milan?
Or can I only assign 2 mental damage, 1 health damage or 1 of each to him?
I guess the question is does all the damage go on at once, or one at a time?
If it's one at a time, as soon as one 1 health damage is done then he's dead, meaning I can't assign the mental damage to him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creed Buhallin
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Rules Reference, Page 7, under the hard-to-find heading of "Dealing Damage/Horror"...

Damage is all simultaneous. You don't check for defeat until after all the damage/horror has been dealt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Witt
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Well I completely missed that didn't I. Couldn't be any clearer. Thank you very much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
As an aside which might be worth noting, an enemy will, as mentioned, apply all its damage and horror simultaneously, but multiple enemies are gracious enough toward each other that they wait their turn to apply their own damage and horror. So comparing a single Ghoul Priest attack (2dmg + 2hor) with a pair of Ghoul Minions (1dmg + 1hor each), the same amount of hurt is done, but Dr. Milan would die after taking the first Ghoul Minion's attack and wouldn't be able to soak any of the second one's attack. You'd sneakily get around this however by only assigning the horror from the first attack onto the doctor, taking the damage yourself, then finishing your Ally off with the full second attack. So both situations deal with 2dmg and 2hor, but, strictly speaking, the second one needs a specific order. Then, we might consider a situation with two enemies, one that only deals 2 damage and one that only deals 2 horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
You cannot assign damage to an ally above their remaining health of that type (physical or mental).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
art g
United States
California
flag msg tools
I have a question in regards to ally assets in play as well. Some Assets with health/sanity don't have both health and sanity. For example, the elder amulet item which has 4 sanity but - health (meaning none presumably). So because it has - for health, does it mean I CANNOT assign any health damage to it from monster attacks? Or I can assign health damage to it, but as soon as it takes 1 health damage it is destroyed/discarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
artog11 wrote:
I have a question in regards to ally assets in play as well. Some Assets with health/sanity don't have both health and sanity. For example, the elder amulet item which has 4 sanity but - health (meaning none presumably). So because it has - for health, does it mean I CANNOT assign any health damage to it from monster attacks? Or I can assign health damage to it, but as soon as it takes 1 health damage it is destroyed/discarded?

You cannot assign health damage to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Villanova
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can health/sanity damage be split between any asset(s) and the investigator; i.e., something does 3 health damage and I assign one to the investigator, one to one asset, and the last to another asset?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
preptime wrote:
Can health/sanity damage be split between any asset(s) and the investigator; i.e., something does 3 health damage and I assign one to the investigator, one to one asset, and the last to another asset?

Yes.

"Assign Damage/Horror: Determine the amount of damage and/or horror being dealt. Place damage and/or horror tokens equal to the amount of damage and horror being dealt next to the cards that will be taking the damage/horror.
= When an investigator is dealt damage or horror, that investigator may assign it to eligible asset cards he or she controls. To be eligible, an asset card must have health in order to be assigned damage, and it must have sanity in order to be assigned horror.
=An asset cannot be assigned damage beyond the amount of damage it would take to defeat the card, and cannot be assigned horror beyond the amount of horror it would take to defeat the card.
=All damage/horror that cannot be assigned to an asset must be assigned to the investigator"

RR P. 7
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Persin
Croatia
flag msg tools
Just to get it right, I am deciding who gets how much dmg/horror between me˛my ally...but I can't assign more than one has -> if something deals 3dmg, and my ally has 1 health, ally can only tank 1 dmg,dies, and I have to take 2 that remain?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Yep. Treat it literally as you having a quantity of tokens that have to find a home, they all need to accounted for. Enemy hits you for 2 damage and 2 horror, pick up those four tokens and your 1/1 ally has 'slots' for a single one of each of those tokens. You still have one damage token and one horror token that are looking for a place to go. Maybe you have damage-soaking asset it play, it can carry the damage token. Any remaining tokens go to your investigator. At that point you check whether any allies or assets (or yourself!) have hit a max capacity for dmg/hor and remove those from play. Then, if ganged up on, you have to do it again for a second enemy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fernando Santos
Portugal
Amadora
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
smurfORnot wrote:
Just to get it right, I am deciding who gets how much dmg/horror between me˛my ally...but I can't assign more than one has -> if something deals 3dmg, and my ally has 1 health, ally can only tank 1 dmg,dies, and I have to take 2 that remain?

Yes, like it was said on the post before yours:

"Assign Damage/Horror: Determine the amount of damage and/or horror being dealt. Place damage and/or horror tokens equal to the amount of damage and horror being dealt next to the cards that will be taking the damage/horror.
= When an investigator is dealt damage or horror, that investigator may assign it to eligible asset cards he or she controls. To be eligible, an asset card must have health in order to be assigned damage, and it must have sanity in order to be assigned horror.
=An asset cannot be assigned damage beyond the amount of damage it would take to defeat the card, and cannot be assigned horror beyond the amount of horror it would take to defeat the card.
=All damage/horror that cannot be assigned to an asset must be assigned to the investigator"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.