Race for the Galaxy» Forums » General

Subject: Mixing Gathering Storm as a default for new players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lior A
Israel
flag msg tools
Hello,

I recently bought RFTG with TGS expansion.
Yesterday I played my first two games with my GF. I was wondering, should we mix TGS together with the base game as a default for every game or should we experience the base game for a while before mixing?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You, of course, can do whatever you wish. That being said, I would recommend playing with just the base game for a while. There's a decent amount of content to explore in just it.

However, the intent was for players to be able to play with GS, without goals, with new players if desired (and, in particular, with 5 players).

The card in GS that most dramatically alters the strategy space is Improved Logistics. If that card is constantly coming up and affecting play, you might consider removing it while you are learning strategies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would add it in, but leave out goals.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Play without, then add it later. That way you get to experience both base game and base + TGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kaplounenko
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
I now have full access to your systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
TGS balances out the strategies in the base game which is too produce-consume heavy, so there's no reason to ever play without it. And, it's only 23 more cards. Just leave the goals out as Ben said.

Quote:
the base set is tilted slightly towards produce-consume to encourage players to look beyond the military strategies.

from the designer's diary: https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/1934/designer-diary-race-...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't describe the base game as "too produce-consume heavy" and many new players certainly wouldn't find it that way. A fairly common complaint from new players is that military is overpowered - I certainly remember discussions after one of our first few games along the lines of "has anyone figured out how to win without a military strategy yet?"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Igor Kaplounenko
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
I now have full access to your systems.
mbmbmbmbmb
That seems utterly bizarre. You really have to luck into the military worlds to get anywhere with that strategy in the base game. Produce-consume was where it's at.

Perhaps it was a function of the number of players? In a two player non-advanced game (who even plays this way?) I can see produce-consume being weaker. Given the relative dearth of military cards, in a game with more players only one is likely to focus on military, leaving the other players to synergize off each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Obviously military isn't actually a dominant strategy, and that'll probably be obvious to most people who have played a few games. Produce/Consume isn't that obvious to many new players. We realised it was supposed to be a thing but it took a few games before people could pull it off. I think military winning was more a function of the pace of the games and how bad we were at doing anything else. We're talking the first 4-5 games here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meles meles
Poland
flag msg tools
I think 'your' new players might have a perception issue. Military, when you pull it off, is big and flashy. Easy to understand. Produce/Consume is a bit overwhelming at first, figuring out which planets make good producers and what's the fuss about colors. Military is an easy scapegoat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United Kingdom
Southampton
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not really, we knew it shouldn't be the best, we just hadn't worked out how to do most other things. There has been at least one thread here where people have complained about military being over powered in the base game. Anyway...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.