Hide
6 Posts

Evolution: The Beginning» Forums » General

Subject: is there ever more than 2 food in the watering hole? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Espinoza
msg tools
I played a first game with my gf and we never had more than 2 food in the watering hole, which was immediately eaten by our species.

Seems kind of pointless and not fun.

Am I missing something?

I know there's carnivore and long neck, but it doesn't seem like the watering hole even serves a purpose.

You always have to throw down a species so that at least eats 1 of the food you place in the watering hole, and you can easily place a new species to eat the remaining 1 food in the watering hole, thus always eating the 2 food pieces you place down.

Seems pretty weak.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Jackson
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
What is the sound of one card shuffling?
mbmbmbmbmb
The only way there will be more is if someone doesn't eat it all on their turn and it accumulates. It's there a safety net so you will never totally starve on your turn, I believe. Much like the constant forced placement of new species is a safety net for carnivores to never be totally boned. The fun of the game is figuring out how to maximize your food turn to turn, because you're definitely not going to win relying on the watering hole every round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Voge III
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rotatorkuf wrote:
I played a first game with my gf and we never had more than 2 food in the watering hole, which was immediately eaten by our species.

Seems kind of pointless and not fun.

Am I missing something?

I know there's carnivore and long neck, but it doesn't seem like the watering hole even serves a purpose.

You always have to throw down a species so that at least eats 1 of the food you place in the watering hole, and you can easily place a new species to eat the remaining 1 food in the watering hole, thus always eating the 2 food pieces you place down.

Seems pretty weak.

I did a ton of demos of this at BGG.CON and never saw a game where it was just two food placed, two food eaten for very long. The long necks and carnivores change the complexion of the watering hole very quickly.

Bruce
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Goldman
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I demod a game last week where 9 food was in the hole at one point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
It has run over 2 here and there for us, but generally, carnivores are where the points are - and long-necked if you can!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exhibit A:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.