13 Posts

Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: Need a help to choose 2 from 4 carefully chosen games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Chudarek
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Hi, Iv posted that Im looking mainly for a solitaire game Aš a christmas gift my wife want to gt mě. I So far chosen conflict of heroes + eastern front expansion + blackbeard golden age of piracy or it could b a bundle thunderbolt apache leader + d Day tarawa or it could b Falling sky Aš I like the period And think I wd enjoy it but not sure if its playable sólo, or last bundle on my mind is warfighter+expansion And thunderbolt apache leader which seems really good
I have yet in mind a game enemy action ardennes, is it Worth the price?
Could u Tell mě some pros And cons And which mixture wd u get on my Place? Thanx everyone in advance for suggestions, Ill b greatfull

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Parker
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Three greatest chess players ever: Bobby Fischer, Mikhail Tal, and Victor Korchnoi.
mbmbmbmbmb
From the list you gave, I would do Thunderbolt and D-Day Tarawa.

Thunderbolt gives you a good tactical game to play and Tarawa is a good operational game which is a lot of fun and nowhere near as hard as D-Day Omaha to win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools

Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mallet wrote:

I played 106 sessions of these 2 combined (Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion in just over 1.5 year.

Awesome brilliant solo game. Best AI agent ever designed in wargaming.

Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roy Bartoo
msg tools
mbmbmb
From your list of possible, my choice would be Conflict of Minions of Totalitarian Governments. Not my favorite tactical system, but of the possibilities you offer, the one I would go with. I wasn't thrilled with Thunderbolt/Apache Leader, in my view the original Hornet Leader was a better game and probably a better sim. Blackbeard is, well, a Rich Berg design, so much dice rolling on endless charts. To me more tedious than evocative. No opinion on Falling Sky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy C
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
Robert Emmett O'Malley (Medal of Honor recipient)
mbmbmbmbmb

enemy action is worth the price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
i would pick bundle with coh but replace the blackbeard pirate game with Merchants & Marauders because there is a great fan made solo expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stuart
United States
Los Alamos
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is a hard choice, one I'd hate to have to make! All three -- Enemy Action, Conflict of Heroes and D-Day Tarawa, are very good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Milis
United Kingdom
Cranham
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 for Thunderbolt Apache Leader and Merchants & Marauders
Not sure on the other games.

All the best,

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aric Ashgrove
United States
Independence
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
...at last I return back to the logical and sane world of wargaming, in order to truly enjoy games again.
badge
https://library.brown.edu/collections/askb/veterans.php
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition). It is a good great system to learn and play with. Soon LnL Publishing will be setting this for pre-order:
Lock 'n Load Tactical: Solo
That will be a very similar system as the Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion. I can see other similar tactical level systems following suite.

Warfighter: The Tactical Special Forces Card Gameis an excellent game on its own, though you might be getting too similar game with any of the Leader series. It plays to me somewhat like a LCC of one of those. I would have named it "Modern Special Forces Leader," personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael De Meirleir
Belgium
Hamme
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) without any doubt.

I was a bit disappointed with Thunderbolt Apache Leader. The setup time can be rather long, there's a rather steep learning curve and game play is rather fiddly. Field Commander: Napoleon is a far better DVG Game, IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron A
United States
Coronado
California
flag msg tools
badge
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet-Gen. Mattis
mbmbmbmbmb

If your wife is cool enough to get your wargames for XMas, then maybe she might want to play with you some time?

Falling Sky: The Gallic Revolt Against Caesar can be played solo OR with up to 4 people, that might be the way to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Øivind Karlsrud
Norway
Bjørkelangen
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
badge
Games I want to play on VASSAL: ASL, ASLSK, GMT CDG's I own
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my favorite solitaire wargames are Thunderbolt Apache Leader and D-day at Omaha Beach (haven't played Tarawa yet), so my choice would be TAL and DDaT. I just didn't like the constant back-and-forth "you make a mini-move, I make a mini-move" of Conflict of Heroes, and the solo expansion made it worse for me, because you have to draw a card for each mini-move. This is of course subjective, but that's my reason for not liking it, so you know where I come from.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.