Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Johannes Heimann
Germany
flag msg tools
Teddy Riot
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I suck at painting (and besides TOTALLY lack the time to do it)
However I considered dipping the models as I've heared it is a really quick method with stunning results in shading and Detail.
I understand that the models can be dipped in varnish ( using a brush to remove the excess)
My question is: Do the models have to be primed first ? If so, what kind of primer would be recommended to use for SoB Minis ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can I add some questions?

Do the miniatures need to be washed with soap and water first?

If so, is this done while still on the sprue or after assembled?

What about resin miniatures? I read something about soaking in vinegar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Washing the models in dish soap and water is generally a good idea. It's just a precaution to make sure any residue from the factory is cleaned off. You can do this while the models are still on the sprue.

I've never heard of anyone soaking them in vinegar.

I haven't tried the dip method so I can't comment on that. But if you want a fast technique, I'd just prime them white and then apply washes (with a brush) to bring out the details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
you will want to soak and scrub the resin hero miniatures in vinegar. The release agent used to get them out of the molds causes nothing to stick to them including paint and varnish
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
White Raven wrote:
Hi,

I suck at painting (and besides TOTALLY lack the time to do it)
However I considered dipping the models as I've heared it is a really quick method with stunning results in shading and Detail.
I understand that the models can be dipped in varnish ( using a brush to remove the excess)
My question is: Do the models have to be primed first ? If so, what kind of primer would be recommended to use for SoB Minis ?

Yes, get a spray primer. You can get various colours, but you'll want a light one. White or light grey are the obvious ones but a green could work too. Could even do heroes and enemies different colours, if buying multiple sprays isn't an issue. Whatever you pick, that'll be the base colour of your mini, so it's what you want it to look like.

I find it's actually quicker to broadly slap on the varnish/dip with an old paintbrush then just remove any pools as it dries. Actually dipping the model in the pot works but you need to do it outside then shake it like a mad person to remove the excess dip.

You'll end up with very shiny miniatures which you'll then need to finish with a spray matt varnish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Heimann
Germany
flag msg tools
Teddy Riot
mbmbmbmbmb
Deano2099 wrote:

Yes, get a spray primer. You can get various colours, but you'll want a light one. White or light grey are the obvious ones but a green could work too. Could even do heroes and enemies different colours, if buying multiple sprays isn't an issue. Whatever you pick, that'll be the base colour of your mini, so it's what you want it to look like.

I find it's actually quicker to broadly slap on the varnish/dip with an old paintbrush then just remove any pools as it dries. Actually dipping the model in the pot works but you need to do it outside then shake it like a mad person to remove the excess dip.

You'll end up with very shiny miniatures which you'll then need to finish with a spray matt varnish.

Thanks all. Sounds like it ends up being much more work than I thought though.shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brant Benoit
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
White Raven wrote:
Deano2099 wrote:

Thanks all. Sounds like it ends up being much more work than I thought though.shake

It's not, really. You just need to assemble, prime, and basecoat. Then dip, or brush the quick shade on (which is much less fuss, mess, and hassle).
15 minutes a day is all that's required to get a whole game painted in a few weeks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Just to consolidate and add a few items:
-All of the FoFo models will be HIPS plastic. A scrub with some dish soap and water is a good idea.

-If you purchase any resin models, wash them in vinegar first and then again in soap and water. The release agent used for the resin is much more difficult than the plastic.

-White spray primer is your best bet. Testor's or Krylon are both good products, or there's "gaming" ones from Games Workshop and others. Just make sure you get *primer* and avoid all things automotive.

-The method you're talking with the varnish is called "patina" by antiquers and a "wash" by modelers. You can find videos and examples of it all over the internet. It is a great way to add some depth to the models without a lot of work. You can certainly dip and shake, but that's rather messy. It's pretty easy to just brush it on, as that gives you control of how much goes on an area and to vary the color of wash based on what color you are washing over.

For an example (not mine): https://drive.google.com/file/d/0ByTqztGXLD-bZFpTcG9EWFhHWkE...

The person who painted those did a single color for each area and then used a black wash to give depth and detail.

For reference to show that I have some idea what I'm talking about, here's my painting thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1677233/dvernings-sob-paint...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Heimann
Germany
flag msg tools
Teddy Riot
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again.
I watched two of the vids and they used primer on their minis but none stated clearly that the miniatures *must* be primed first for the varnish to stick on the model.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
White Raven wrote:
Thanks again.
I watched two of the vids and they used primer on their minis but none stated clearly that the miniatures *must* be primed first for the varnish to stick on the model.

Technically, primer isn't required. Primer gives the paint a surface to adhere to cleanly and smoothly. You can paint over bare plastic, but it will require more/thicker layers to cover completely. It will also be more prone to wiping off or cracking until sealed. So while it's not required, it makes painting much easier and your figs will look better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Heimann
Germany
flag msg tools
Teddy Riot
mbmbmbmbmb
Dverning wrote:

Technically, primer isn't required. Primer gives the paint a surface to adhere to cleanly and smoothly. You can paint over bare plastic, but it will require more/thicker layers to cover completely. It will also be more prone to wiping off or cracking until sealed. So while it's not required, it makes painting much easier and your figs will look better.

Ah, now that is interesting. I did not intend to paint them (as I said, I lack time, patience and talent) Just give them a quick brushover with the varnish to make the Details stand out more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly recommend primer, it's not required but will make life a lot easier. It's also easier to see the details once primer is on as well.

You can use the dip method, there are hobby dips you can buy that start getting expensive real fast (about $11 a can). I have also seen someone on YouTube dip models in wood finish that looked amazing, but I have never tried it myself. An advantage of the wood stain was that it also sealed the paint on the model. It's worth checking out, I believe it was posted by gamergeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmb
I did this with my Defenders of the Last Stand heroes and leaders minis which turned out pretty good. Though I did prime them, give them a base coat of paint, then hand painted on the ink. Then gave them 2 coats of dullcoat. So faster then a full paint job but not that fast, took me a couple evenings of work.

One problem we had was the heroes both washed and original grey were hard to tell apart so I painted color edging on the bases and wood tokens for each player.

EDIT- Oh, I did wash them all with dish soap before priming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Leoniak
United States
Marlboro
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Were the heroes in the base sets resin?
Anything else?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Tracker1 wrote:
Were the heroes in the base sets resin?
Anything else?

The heroes in the base sets are plastic.
The resin items are the 3-D Depth Track, Add-on Heroes (Shaman, Frontier Doc, Cowboy, Jargono Native, etc), and the add-on bosses (Bunker, Serpentmen Shaman, Void Sorceror Magus).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.