Hide
16 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Does one take an opportunity attack when activating rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chozo Tull
msg tools
Attacks of opportunity are triggered by doing something else than fighting/evading or activating a talk/abandon action

Am I attacked if I activate a fight action (machete) ? Common sense says no but technically I am using my action to activate a support rather than directly fight and apparently activation takes an attack except for the two cases written on the reference cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wiedewiet
Netherlands
Tilburg
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is your reasoning that fighting is something else than taking a Fight action?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a reasonable question.

But, no, activating card abilities that have the Fight or Evade action designators are considered to be Fight or Evade actions, respectively.

And, so, they do not trigger Attacks of Opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chozo Tull
msg tools
> mechanically, it could be read either way. I agree that it seems obvious, but I am a bit neurotic about wording !

> thanks a lot ! Good to know
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The machete takes the Fight action and modifies it in some way. All of the Action designators do this, which means they remain Actions of the specified type, but with modifications.

So in the case of the Machete, you are still performing a Fight action, so no Attack of Opportunity
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Chozo Tull wrote:
> mechanically, it could be read either way. I agree that it seems obvious, but I am a bit neurotic about wording !

There is not a single way this can be "mechanically" either way".

Did you read the card?

Machete says "Action symbol" FIGHT. You get +1 fist for this attack.

Attack of opportunity states if you choose a action besides Fight, Evade, Parley, Resign you get attacked.

Read the rules people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:
Chozo Tull wrote:

There is not a single way this can be "mechanically" either way".

Did you read the card?

Machete says "Action symbol" FIGHT. You get +1 fist for this attack.

Attack of opportunity states if you choose a action besides Fight, Evade, Parley, Resign you get attacked.

Read the rules people

It could mean 'pay an action, then take a separate fight action'. The question is reasonable.

Stop being snarky people
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ian, I think you are trying to help here, but your tone is not the one I would like us to maintain on this board.

I would much prefer that we remain friendly and helpful, NOT antagonistic and fault-finding.

So, please, if you are feeling irritated and frustrated, wait 20 minutes before responding to a post.

Thanks for your attention.

Chick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chozo Tull
msg tools
I apologise if I wasted your time with my thread :/

Thanks Scott for explaining, and everyone for your answers

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chozo Tull wrote:

You haven't wasted anyone's time. Even a person saying nothing is here only because their day included posting that they had nothing to contribute. Posting in here is not a 911 call or a button that summons a nurse - there is no pressure being put on anyone else's time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chozo Tull wrote:

Thanks Scott for explaining, and everyone for your answers

You're welcome.

And, never apologise for asking questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Houston
United States
Tulsa
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was going to create a new thread, but since this one is discussing AOO's, here we go:

I played Agnes(?) the Seeker woman last night in a campaign. Much of her success in fighting was due to her Encyclopedia (two, sometimes), and her free action to activate one of them. It only occurred to me late in the campaign that this might, and probably does, trigger AOO(s) if she's engaged with any monsters.

AOO yes/no? Unfortunately I'm thinking yes, which really, really sucks and makes that card much less useful than I had originally thought.

Secondarily, does a FAST event trigger an AOO? I also used Mind Over Matter many times to fight creatures by throwing books at them, but again, I'm feeling I played it wrong and it should have triggered an AOO, but my hope is that FAST events/assets don't trigger AOO's due to not costing an action? No real clue which way I lean on this one.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Daisy is the investigator you're thinking of.

And yes, using Encyclopedia incurs attacks of opportunity.

But 'Fast' actions do not! As you intuited, you incur AoO for spending actions, which 'Fast' cards do not require as a cost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Fike
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another similar "mechanics" question.

If you are dealing with an engaged enemy with "retaliate" and know you stand no chance, the rules say you can take 3 actions but you can simply choose to end your turn.

So if I choose not to take actions, am I effectively avoiding attacks of opportunity? My thoughts are "yes" because AOO only happens when you do an action other than fight, evade, etc. Ending your turn is doing no actions at all, hence I effectively avoid AOO and retaliate.

Is that a proper way to interpret the rule? Yes, Ian, I read it...and that is how I interpret it...but just looking for affirmation as I'm not confident.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:

If you are dealing with an engaged enemy with "retaliate" and know you stand no chance, the rules say you can take 3 actions but you can simply choose to end your turn.

So if I choose not to take actions, am I effectively avoiding attacks of opportunity? My thoughts are "yes" because AOO only happens when you do an action other than fight, evade, etc. Ending your turn is doing no actions at all, hence I effectively avoid AOO and retaliate.

Is that a proper way to interpret the rule? Yes, Ian, I read it...and that is how I interpret it...but just looking for affirmation as I'm not confident.

You're effectively right, which is the most flavorful kind of right!

But, yeah, you can always opt not to use any (or all) of your actions during your turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
schmoo34 wrote:

You may be overlooking the value of Evade, which (since it is not an attack) does not provoke Retaliate, and is very effective for most situations resembling your description. Unless you are just absolutely fearful of the Chaos Bag, it's probably worth a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.