Subject: New Buyer - Editions question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
I'm going to make the plunge and buy this title, without question now.

I am looking for any advice people have on where to purchase it, and when. I have heard that a new printing is upcoming, but I have no information on it.

I could purchase it at amazon or e-bay, new, but I have heard that many (many!) of the first printing came with a damaged/torn card (that was significantly important to play).

Any advice you may have on shopping for this game would be appreciated. I am in the US.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I emailed Stronghold and they're saying it should be out by the end of January. There's no card problem, but the insert will definitely be stronger!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
VolleyGame wrote:
but the insert will definitely be stronger!

Well, the only way it could be weaker is if it shipped pre-soaked. Seriously though, inserts go right in the trash for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane P
United States
South Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
So how big of an impact is this insert issue? Does it affect enjoyment of the game/gameplay?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mulholland
United Kingdom
Bradford
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
I really like squid.
badge
I really like squid.
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:
So how big of an impact is this insert issue? Does it affect enjoyment of the game/gameplay?

Not in any way at all. It has nothing to do with gameplay and anyone that lets it affect their enjoyment of this game is an idiot. Strong words, but it's true. It's a cheap bit of card that does nothing,chuck it out and stick everything in baggies. People make such a big deal about this and it's totally irrelevant. The game is amazing, the components you play with are fine. Just enjoy the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Berent
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
Heliodorus04 wrote:

Not in any way at all. It has nothing to do with gameplay and anyone that lets it affect their enjoyment of this game is an idiot. Strong words, but it's true. It's a cheap bit of card that does nothing,chuck it out and stick everything in baggies. People make such a big deal about this and it's totally irrelevant. The game is amazing, the components you play with are fine. Just enjoy the game.

Ditto!

PS - There's already talk of an expansion in 2017 and 2018. Can't wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two words...insta buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marcus S
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
PeterM2158 wrote:
Heliodorus04 wrote:

A quick add on to this. The insert is very basic, it's only purpose is to hold the board and rule book above the rest of the components, so you have to come up with your own way to store all the bits anyways, likely baggies, even if the insert was in 100% perfect condition.
I think the only other thing changing in the new print is an update to the rulebook to clarify a few things (specifically unlimited actions/turns per generation).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Teti
United States
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Berentski wrote:
PeterM2158 wrote:
Heliodorus04 wrote:

Ditto!

PS - There's already talk of an expansion in 2017 and 2018. Can't wait!

!?!?!?!?! Now if there was some copies available, I'd be on the bandwagon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Gonzalez Pavón
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Insert totally irrelevant. Get this excellent game from anywhere if you can! (I got it from a nice shop in Poland)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Chaney

California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heliodorus04 wrote:
I'm going to make the plunge and buy this title, without question now.

I am looking for any advice people have on where to purchase it, and when. I have heard that a new printing is upcoming, but I have no information on it.

I could purchase it at amazon or e-bay, new, but I have heard that many (many!) of the first printing came with a damaged/torn card (that was significantly important to play).

Any advice you may have on shopping for this game would be appreciated. I am in the US.

From my point of view, there is no need to wait.

Even if you pay $100 for a copy from Amazon, you should be getting enough enjoyment out of a few plays to fully justify the cost. If you can get those plays now, it seems to me worth the added cost.

It seems like none of the changes in the next run will likely change your enjoyment of the game, so there is little/no value in waiting for game quality.

I have not heard "many!" problems with the playing cards. There are some, but not a lot from my observations, and to the extent there may be problems that is unlikely to change much in the next batch.

The exception to the above is the insert, which may be card material you are reading about ripping. While most people won't care about the insert at all, some do. I generally like to use functional inserts, but easily shrugged off the ripping in my copy - I was happy to have found a copy to play! I wouldn't want to miss out on two months of play waiting for a different version.

As to the function of the insert, it is not used in game play at all. Part of my gaming experience, however, is setup and clean-up of the game. Some of us get enjoyment out of small details like printed art in the box. A place to put the board is certainly a small convenience, and for me would make for a slightly more pleasant experience. In this case, the added value to me is very small, so I'm pleased to be enjoying the game now, but I would not begrudge anyone their personal take on the pleasure of a small detail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darcy Dueck
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronghold has said that the new insert will line the box only. It will not support the board or other components in any way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.