$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Islebound» Forums » General

Subject: 196-130 score, nearly all buildings gone, tons of money .. typical? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Mazzone
United States
Maspeth
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game with my gf last night. We both quickly realized how awesome it was to have extra crew members, so we nearly wiped out the entire stack of those fairly early. Game progressed as normal, except at the end when I triggered the end game, she had saved up quite a bit of cash, conquered the last town, and used her very last turn of like 50+ coins to buy a building, replace it, buy another, etc and had like 20 buildings at end of game. She also had the buildings cost 1 less which gave great value.

We also ran thru all the 7 value reknown tokens pretty quickly, there were none left for around 2 or 3 more passes over it near end game. So we just used spare wood tiles to count as 7pts each for end game scoring.

In the end Im sure we played right but it seemed so crazy. Just wondering from those that have a few plays under their belt, if this is typical. Thanx caravan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am 99% sure that Ryan has stated the following: The end game should be triggered also when the renown tokens run out, so that game length isn't entirely dependent on how quickly or slowly people buy buildings.

With that rule, what you describe can't happen, of course.

Edit: To clarify, this is a ruling Ryan made after the game was published; it's not in the rule book. Of course players are free to use it or not (like with all rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
If your GF had the money to buy 20+ buildings, then she had you beaten long before, but let the game run on for some reason.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ParisianDreams
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
I am 99% sure that Ryan has stated the following: The end game should be triggered also when the renown tokens run out, so that game length isn't entirely dependent on how quickly or slowly people buy buildings.

With that rule, what you describe can't happen, of course.

Edit: To clarify, this is a ruling Ryan made after the game was published; it's not in the rule book. Of course players are free to use it or not (like with all rules).

He has. Others were having the same problem, especially when using the advanced side of the boards. In the 2nd printing of the game, the rule book will be updated to include that the game ends when you reach X buildings OR the renown tokens run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Faber
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
If your GF had the money to buy 20+ buildings, then she had you beaten long before, but let the game run on for some reason.

This. Sometimes people don't realize it a almost always best to buy as many building as you can as soon as you can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthias M
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maxlongstreet wrote:
Sometimes people don't realize it a almost always best to buy as many building as you can as soon as you can.

X coins = X victory points. X coins spent for a building = X victory points PLUS SOME BONUS. Clearly better.

Yes, there might be some opportunity cost if you are short on money and/or your crew is fully exhausted, so that you would be forced to take suboptimal actions like hunting for treasure afterwards. And in some rare occasions, you might want to prolong the game instead of buying the 8th [or 7th] building which triggers the end, but it 99% of all cases, you should buy interesting buildings as soon as you can afford them.

Huge scores, all buildings gone and/or tons of money can only happen if not a single players plays well.

In previous times, it was common to play for a fixed number of rounds. Modern board games often use end conditions which are triggered by the players themselves. The problem raised in this thread (or, in the very similar threads about running out of 7VP-chits) is a perfect example where this modern board game design paradigm can lead to problems easily: if all player are inexperienced, they will fail to trigger the end in time, and then the game may derail into conditions never thought of by the designer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Green
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I know the topic is old, but I feel the need to point out that you don't advance on the renown track when you buy a building. The buildings are added to the final score, but their short-term benefit is a good reason to buy early. I think it would be hard to run out of renown tokens before ending the game due to buildings when playing with only two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.