23 Posts

Food Chain Magnate» Forums » Organized Play

Subject: beginner game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jaryd
United States
flag msg tools
Anyone interested in playing an asynchronous game with a beginner on Board Game Core? I'm open to other beginners or experienced players.I thought it might be fun to get a game going and use this forum to discuss it / ask questions -- I find the in-game chat somewhat lacking

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played quite a bit, but am not very good So I'm game for it. I'm "8bg" on BGC if you want to invite me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I've played some but would enjoy describing what I'm doing and why while we play. Crikrunner on BGC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jaryd
United States
flag msg tools
Sweet--3 is probably enough for game 1. I'll start it up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nes
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too late to join? whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jaryd
United States
flag msg tools
Nope -- no one accepted yet. I cancelled the game and will recreate. What's your BGC ID?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sorry was away from computer all day, not seeing an invite at all

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jaryd
United States
flag msg tools
No problem. I delayed the start so we could include Nes. Will send out the invite when he posts his Username for BoardGameCore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nes
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be away until friday, so might not be the best timing..
My bgc username is woxoya, if you decide to wait, or maybe for later

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jaryd
United States
flag msg tools
I created the game without you for now. Have a nice trip--you can join the next one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is the most non-connected board I've played on. I picked my starting spot because it gave 2 zero distance houses that will be easy to advertise too. House #10 is isolated but you can only advertise by air / radio so it's not very useful. I chose a recruiting girl as my opener as I think it's the easiest strongest opener. Sometimes a drink fetcher is a better opener especially on a map with few depots or a missing beverage. I've had no luck with advertiser opening, feel the milestone hurts more than it helps but the +5 / item is well worth it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, I groaned when I saw the map... split board is rough with three. I ended up choosing, after you two had chosen, the overpass emptying onto both halves, since I'd be recruiting last in the first round and could better gauge where you two were going.

I don't like my starting position, but I like even less having one person with early uncontested access to multiple houses. But with the far distance from any houses, I'll need either heavy discounts or spammed advertising to compete...

Off we go...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nes
Norway
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance to get the game number, and spectate the game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jaryd
United States
flag msg tools
Game number: 16175

Wow... I already feel out of my depth! No positions appeared particularly auspicious to me, and so I tried to choose based on overpass access and potential for future development. I didn't consider that House #10 can only be advertised to by air... d'oh!

Joshua: Are you sure that House #13 is 0-distance from your restaurant? I figured that was 1-distance because it's literally on a distinct tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you have to traverse a tile edge, you add 1 distance. Nobody travels except by road so even if your entrance is bordering a home along a tile edge: the occupants get into their car, pass the edge, and then enter your restaurant from the road side.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jaryd
United States
flag msg tools
Jesse Custer wrote:
If you have to traverse a tile edge, you add 1 distance. Nobody travels except by road so even if your entrance is bordering a home along a tile edge: the occupants get into their car, pass the edge, and then enter your restaurant from the road side.

OK so to be clear: are you affirming my assertion that in the following image the Fried Geese & Donkey is 1-distance from House #13?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
France
La Plaine St-Denis
Ile-de-France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jahismighty wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:

OK so to be clear: are you affirming my assertion that in the following image the Fried Geese & Donkey is 1-distance from House #13?

An even more jarring example would be if the restaurant was rotated 90° counter-clockwise - and even in that instance it would be distance 1 to #13.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
jahismighty wrote:
Jesse Custer wrote:

forgot the edge was there.

Crikrunner - 0,1,1

8bg - 3,3,3,4,5

jaryd - 0,(1),2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
2nd turn since no one went for production grabbed an Errand Boy. Thought about a waitress if I wanted early capital for upgraded employees. Tired of the RG - RG T opener see how this works out.

I'm starting to come more the camp that first to advertise and first to train really hurt you in the long run. They both save you maybe 100$ all game but advertising makes it impossible to switch product turn to turn. Trainer holds you back from the first to pay 20$ in wages too much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jaryd
United States
flag msg tools
Sorry about the delay yesterday. I feel a little bit behind and so am taking a risk with the eternal marketing. I don't have enough games under my belt to clearly articulate my strategy yet -- mostly feel like I'm still experimenting... That being said, I definitely have my eye on the first to pay $20 if possible. I just don't know how I'll be able to generate the revenue sustainably

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I messed up and didn't place a billboard to share in the advertising bonus. I was slow too, forgot about the game after work the other day. I like that we each have taken a different route, curious how it will end up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
8-bit Matt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one thing I really dislike about asynchronous online games, convenient as they are: the time between turns makes it hard to recall what's going on, even with the full history available. It's easy to lose thought momentum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Schutte
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
they feel very tactical instead of strategic I agree. I feel like they help you make good decisions given infinite time, but I like to play from the gut and don't feel like I learn much when I have 10 online games going on at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.