Popular Tags: [View All]
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I have never played any LCG but I'm interested by this one as long as I get enough replayability and the monthly/yearly cost is not too high.

I intend to play it solo and to buy only the mandatory number of copy (I don't mind having to sort out cards if I want to change the character(s)).
So, for those used to LCG and considering FFG release plans, what seems to be the cost to keep up with all boxes ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Hamm
United States
Huxley
Iowa
flag msg tools
See this text? It's a gratuitous waste of GeekGold.
badge
The game itself isn't important. Spending time intellectually jousting with likeminded folks is the real reason to game.
mbmbmbmbmb
$10 a month
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vadim Golembo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm estimating that it'll run an average $20 per month.
I'm not buying 2 or 3 of anything because it's just a game, and it's not competitive (which is why I'm playing it at all).
I looking forward to seeing where they take this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably more like $15 USD. The packs' MSRP is around $15. Some stores will sell at a discount. Some people will need to buy it online which will require shipping fees. Some weeks will be a deluxe box instead of a pack, which is $25 USD. Some months will have nothing because of a lull in the release schedule between cycles or because of shipping issues from the printers.

I think $15 is a pretty safe estimate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maciej Modzel
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
Yeah, 15USD per month will probably be even a bit higher than the average - not taking into account the entry cost (core set, preferably two - even for a single player).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
souloon souloon
Poland
flag msg tools
Its 40$ for one copy of core game and 120$ for a cycle. (6X15$+30$)

Let's assume you want to buy core on first month, then deluxe on the second, and them one mythos pack on each subsequent month. It will take (without any delays) 8 months to complete the cycle. So it's 20$ per month including paying for one copy of core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+ sleeves!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot !

I have since then found the planning of release on the game page.
And I think base game + expansion/boxes + 1 playmat + sleeves make a total amount of 200.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Alonzo
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soul31 wrote:
Its 40$ for one copy of core game and 120$ for a cycle. (6X15$+30$)

Let's assume you want to buy core on first month, then deluxe on the second, and them one mythos pack on each subsequent month. It will take (without any delays) 8 months to complete the cycle. So it's 20$ per month including paying for one copy of core.

This looks really accurate, unless you start to accessorize your games, like I do.

For example, you might want to sleeve everything up, or use deck sleeves. You might want to print off user created expansion dividers, as well as pick up some Team Covenant custom tokens once they are released. Then you have playmats, and then the special edition artwork cards that you spend 4x the cost buying it on eBay because you missed the event, or didn't win 1st place at a tournament. What about the promo deck boxes, and then the "difficult" mode packs that get released once the community finds the standard scenarios too easy.

I love that FFG produces such awesome content, but it can be difficult to keep up with their release schedule and grab the promo and aftermarket stuff too. It's a better problem than the alternative though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I love that FFG produces such awesome content, but it can be difficult to keep up with their release schedule and grab the promo and aftermarket stuff too. It's a better problem than the alternative though.

LotR is the only other LCG I really followed before and I disliked always being confused over new releases; is this a saga or a deluxe and do I already have this expansion pack or not.

2-3 times I bought expansions I already had. I really wish FFG did a better job at marking expansion packs with such useful information as which hero was in the box or at the very least, show which quests icons were in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh B
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmb
Robrob wrote:
Quote:

LotR is the only other LCG I really followed before and I disliked always being confused over new releases; is this a saga or a deluxe and do I already have this expansion pack or not.

2-3 times I bought expansions I already had. I really wish FFG did a better job at marking expansion packs with such useful information as which hero was in the box or at the very least, show which quests icons were in the box.

Don't all the packs come with QR codes on the back that you can scan with a smart phone to see what's inside before you buy? If you're buying online, why not google first? Not being snarky, I've just never heard of someone repeatedly buying duplicate products accidentally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nushura
Japan
Sendai
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that the monthly cost will be lower. Look at other LCGs and you will see that you will see little more than a deluxe and a cycle per year. That is 30+6*15 = 120$ if you pay full price at brick and mortar.

This is 10$ per month more or less. If you want to sleeve ALL, then the price will go up, but not much if you use penny sleeves (155+6*60=515 cards, or 6$ more in the whole year).

Of course, if you want to use deluxe sleeves, and buy wooden organizers, and hand paint minis, and custom tokens, and a nice bag, and potatoes, and a real sized Cthulhu...then the monthly price will go up
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do we need all these cool extras like custom tokens, nice bag(s) etc.? Indeed, we do. Lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pickman
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
and a real sized Cthulhu

I'm holding off on this one until I can find an appropriate storage solution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's also assume releases are always on schedule…nah, let's be realistic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Schulz
United States
Saint Michael
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GlobeTrotting wrote:
Robrob wrote:
Quote:

Don't all the packs come with QR codes on the back that you can scan with a smart phone to see what's inside before you buy? If you're buying online, why not google first? Not being snarky, I've just never heard of someone repeatedly buying duplicate products accidentally.

I've done it twice with LOTR LCG. I use BGG to track my collection, but even then it can get confusing. I don't play continuously, rather pull the game out once or twice a year for an extended time. The game is huge. Every time I make a purchase, I've got to look the item up on BGG to see if it's in my collection, and hope I was disciplined enough to add it previously. Usually my LOTR LCG purchases are filler items to get to free shipping on Miniature Market, or Cool Stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, at the moment I have bought the base game, sleeves, a box organizer and a chaos bag.

I have only played the first scenario of the base game campaign.
I will buy the other boxes/packs and the square mat when they will be available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fee Weasel
United States
Lake Jackson
Texas
flag msg tools
…so do all who live to see such times but that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.
badge
...some of it's magic, some of it's tragic, but I had a good life all the way...
mbmbmbmb
I use a subscription service for my LCGs. New releases show up in the mail, no confusion, no duplicates.

The store I use is not local to me but they have a physical store and do a lot for our hobby so I support them by using their subscription service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Stark
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rpickman wrote:
Quote:
and a real sized Cthulhu

I'm holding off on this one until I can find an appropriate storage solution.

Just buy your very own city of R'lyeh. Problem solved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.