The Lamps Are Going Out» Forums » General

Subject: Is this game suitable for a complete novice? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've been playing wargames full on for the best part of a year now and feel I have a proper grasping of wargames in terms of both wargaming strategies and a good grasp of medium complex wargames in terms of the rules and how to make use of game rules to your advantage etc.

Now my girlfriend has finally decided to fully engage with the hobby but she is a complete novice with only the basic concept of what a wargame involves basically from what I've told her.

My question is, given the fact that wargames that cover a whole conflict tend to be complex by nature for what's involved, just how suitable is this game for a novice with its 3.00 weight factor on here which seems light to me for a game of this type.

I'm quite a good teacher and along with getting her into wargames and gaming strategies, I would aim to use the game as a teaching tool for both wargames and the whole WWI conflct in general an area that she is certainly interested in.

Does this game fit the bill?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Carl
Germany
Friedberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dawn Raider wrote:

Does this hame fit the bill?

In short: Yes, it does! Not much complexity, and well laid out rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree this is a pretty good entry game in a lot of respects. In particular, a lot of rules can be learned "on the fly" (you don't need to learn the air rules until one player starts getting planes; you don't need to learn the Greek entry rules until they come up).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jules Redmand
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the feedback and I'm certain the game will fit the bill
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.