$5.00
$20.00
$15.00
$30.00
Stew Pid
msg tools
As a new bgg member, I have discovered the simple pleasures of browsing through the many board game reviews, and I have realized that browsing for games outside your comfort zone is the best way to find the board game which you have been finding for what it feels like forever. The style of board game you may like will most certainly be one that you are familiar with. This limits your views heavily, mainly because you cannot find games, though different to your normal style, has a nice and simple gameplay mechanism. The one board game in which I have found surprising, would definitely be pandemic. I tend to prefer euro style simulations, such as Agicola and La Granja, but pandemic suprised me in a way that I thought such a board game style couldn't appease my board game loyalty to euro style games. Pandemic has a lovely way of presenting itself, and an amazing replayibility price. It also has the greatest use of a world map on a board that I have ever seen on a board game.
The reason browsing through different boardgame styles is insightful, is mainly because of the new gameplay mechanisms. Each style has its own type of style, and by changing your style, you broaden your perspective in a unexpected way.
So my question for you is, what boardgame suprised you in an unexpected way?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Look on my works ye mighty and despair
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
But Pandemic is a Euro game. It would be a surprise if you discovered that you enjoy COIN games, but this is just a continuation of your comfort zone, not a break from it.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to BGG and the hobby! I agree with you that trying different types of game has its own pleasure, but I agree with the above poster that Pandemic is a euro.

May I suggest a war game perhaps Memoir '44 or an ameritrash like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) or possibly an abstract such as Hive. Be sure to toss in a dexterity game maybe Jenga? I think you find them all to be an interesting exploration of gaming types.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Welcome to the hobby!

Try Hero Realms if you want to shake your comfort zone! Now you'll face something utterly different from what you know
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Hanabi was my biggest surprise in the last few years. I'm continuously surprised by how much game there is in it.

Over the long term I would say the most unexpected turns of the hobby were cooperative games, Magic: The Gathering, and the worker placement and deck-building mechanics.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Martino
Italy
Milano
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to prefer EURO stimulations as well kiss
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason H
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome to the club! Best hobby in the world. Have fun!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Inkpen
Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you've played a few hundred games, you will know your tastes, as well as what kind of games are out there pretty well.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mindy Basi
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BGG is helpful in that regard because it does introduce you to games you have never heard of before, through top ten lists, geeklists, reviewers, and just general discussion this forum. This can definitely lead you to games outside your comfort zone.

As an example, recently I purchased Junk Art. Normally, I don't like dexterity games, and I sold Flick Em up because it just was not fun for me. I can't hit things by flicking stuff. However, Junk Art has been a big hit with everyone, which led me to buy Dimension when it was on sale. So way out of my comfort zone there, but it really gives my collection some depth and flexibility with different kinds of gamers and non-gamers.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus-Gunther Herzog
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
Welcome to BGG and the hobby! I agree with you that trying different types of game has its own pleasure, but I agree with the above poster that Pandemic is a euro.

May I suggest a war game perhaps Memoir '44 or an ameritrash like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) or possibly an abstract such as Hive. Be sure to toss in a dexterity game maybe Jenga? I think you find them all to be an interesting exploration of gaming types.


Jenga? While those blocks are a mandatory accessory for a nice game of Dread, surely the king of dexterity games would be PitchCar.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PlowStr8 wrote:
Budapest wrote:
Welcome to BGG and the hobby! I agree with you that trying different types of game has its own pleasure, but I agree with the above poster that Pandemic is a euro.

May I suggest a war game perhaps Memoir '44 or an ameritrash like Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) or possibly an abstract such as Hive. Be sure to toss in a dexterity game maybe Jenga? I think you find them all to be an interesting exploration of gaming types.


Jenga? While those blocks are a mandatory accessory for a nice game of Dread, surely the king of dexterity games would be PitchCar.


I bought a Jenga set specifically for Dread, but I do think the best dexterity game is Animal Upon Animal for the fun and simplicity of it. Of course, there are lots of awesome dexterity games, but that one is really a great gateway/ambassador dexterity game.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

16TMa wrote:
As a new bgg member, I have discovered the simple pleasures of browsing through the many board game reviews, and I have realized that browsing for games outside your comfort zone is the best way to find the board game which you have been finding for what it feels like forever. The style of board game you may like will most certainly be one that you are familiar with. This limits your views heavily,


At a time when our electronics make it easier and easier for us to get recommendations from our like-minded friends or bots programmed to please, I find this is a really good practice for any pursuit. It allows you to be exposed to a wider range of music, books, food, politicians, and even news.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
I speed-read the title and had to re-read it when I thought it was suggesting standing outside a store browsing games through the window haha
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stew Pid
msg tools
Oops. Thank you for clearing that up
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. Minions really surprised me. I saw it at games night and thought, "huge box, miniatures. Not really my thing." however once we played it, I really liked it. It's basically cooperative roborally. Program your robot to work with the other robots toward shared goals, like destroying 4 crystals, moving an item, defeating minions, etc.

So now I am wondering if I am missing out on some other good games due to my aversion to miniatures.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Adams
Australia
Mt Lawley
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a new BGG member you seemingly have much to discover. Not sure if your post is a note for yourself or a suggestion for others.

Would be interesting to see you revisit this post in five years time.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Czerniewski
United States
Overland Park
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
It seems to me you would like co-operative games, and Pandemic (by the way, not a Eurogame) is the best known example of this type of game. Another game in this genre I would highly recommend is Elder Sign.

Another thing I would suggest, since you're fairly new to the hobby, is watching web series like Wil Wheaton's TableTop and the Dice Tower. They are a great way to learn about new games. However, the best thing to do is look up and start going to your local game nights.

To answer your question, though, about what games surprised me:

First would probably be any of the Legendary games. I am not a fan of deck-builders, which is something I've learned about myself and being in the hobby for a year and a half, but for some reason those games are actually enjoyable. They're also co-operative.

Another game I surprisingly enjoyed is Scotland Yard. I say this because it's similar to a game called Specter Ops, which I played once and didn't care for.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.