Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Just started playing the game the questions that came up were

1 Webbing US give you extra loadout of 4 plus 1XP, a canteen and bayonet for 3 Rp. My question is does the the loadout value of the Canteen and Bayonet come free? If not you are only gaining an extra 2 free loadout from webbing.
2 Ammo Box more just a check I got this right. In my 1st game I had a soldier with an M1 carbine I gave him 1 extra loadout of ammo (6 ammo chits)and 5 grenades so cost 6Rp but loadout is 3, correct?
3 Spray and machine gunner skill, if I use my MG on its bipod so I get spray effect and I cause 3 KIA can I use my machine gunner skill to increase it to 4 KIA?

Took me 4 tries to complete my 1st mission!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PandaBall wrote:
Just started playing the game the questions that came up were

1 Webbing US give you extra loadout of 4 plus 1XP, a canteen and bayonet for 3 Rp. My question is does the the loadout value of the Canteen and Bayonet come free? If not you are only gaining an extra 2 free loadout from webbing.
2 Ammo Box more just a check I got this right. In my 1st game I had a soldier with an M1 carbine I gave him 1 extra loadout of ammo (6 ammo chits)and 5 grenades so cost 6Rp but loadout is 3, correct?
3 Spray and machine gunner skill, if I use my MG on its bipod so I get spray effect and I cause 3 KIA can I use my machine gunner skill to increase it to 4 KIA?

Took me 4 tries to complete my 1st mission!

1. Yes - free LO!!
You add the 4 to your soldiers LO, eg 10+4 = 14 Load Out
and you start with 1 bayonet, 1 canteen and 1XP as part of the deal - these use up 2 of the LO (until used/discarded)

So in effect you gain 2 LO...
and if you use/lose the canteen & bayonet you still have +4 LO!

It is a sweat deal - even if you didn't want the bayonet and/or canteen
(True not as sweet as the modern MOLLE - but we are talking WW2 tech here)

US Web Gear - 3 RP and LO=0
Add 4 to your
Loadout rating.
Start with 1 Bayonet,
1 Canteen, and 1 XP.
Limit 1 per Soldier.

2. Yes - in effect bonus load out!
(but only for ammo/grenades)

Say I had a Soldier with a 7 Load out max (11 -4 for Mission)
and 1 want him to carry M2 Carbine (2 LO) and 6 Grenades (LO =6x1 = 6)

he couldn't, except if he has an ammo box - in which case his load out would be

M2 carbine = 2 LO
Ammo Box = 0 LO
6 Grenades = 6x1 - 3 (Ammo Box) = 3 LO
Total LO = 5

Ammo Box 3RP LO=0
This Soldier pays only 3
Loadout for his first 6
Loadout of Ammo and
Grenades.

3. Yes - for 1 XP spent you could increase the 3 EKIA to 4 EKIA - for that one target card by spraying them effectively with your deployed LMG.
(Did I mention that the squad LMG is your squads best friend? )

Machinegunner Skill 2 RP (same as modern WF)
Pay 1 XP when you inflict a
Kill with a Machine Gun.
Inflict 1 additional Kill on the
same Hostile card.
Limit once per Attack.

4 Tries to get a mission success - don't be disheartened!
It is about right for day 1 of an untrained squad leader - your casualties would have been nothing unusual in WW1 or WW2...
But as you learn you will find the best Battle Drill and your success rate will climb and your casualties drop..
Train Hard - Fight Easy!

Do you feel like posting an AAR and/or lessons learned?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A couple of more questions
1 Expended as changed from WFSF you do not seem to have to use an action is this correct.
2 Does this keyword sheet supercede WFSF.
3 Place and present difference if I read place correctly the unit can move and attack?
4 Also in WFSF jungle if I draw the Elite and place in objective I was counting this as part of the Hostile draw number but this seems to be wrong and I should ignore value and carry on drawing is this correct?
5 Any reason there was not an MG34 in deck if you play Germans post 42 you do not have a MG available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll flesh this post out later today
The key words in WW2 replace SF if you so desire - the intent is as the WF series progresses that additional key words will be added and if needs be old words clarified.

No MG34 - just use the MG42 card - as far as game mechanics go they are effectively the same. The MG34 card (bipod) and 1-2 tripods for it will appear in an early war expansion in the next wave (at least a year away).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PandaBall wrote:
A couple of more questions
1 Expended as changed from WFSF you do not seem to have to use an action is this correct.
2 Does this keyword sheet supercede WFSF.
3 Place and present difference if I read place correctly the unit can move and attack?
4 Also in WFSF jungle if I draw the Elite and place in objective I was counting this as part of the Hostile draw number but this seems to be wrong and I should ignore value and carry on drawing is this correct?
5 Any reason there was not an MG34 in deck if you play Germans post 42 you do not have a MG available.

1/ Expend(ed) - only takes an action if it is an attack or if the card specifies one or more actions.
eg Expending your canteen to draw 3 cards does not require an action.
eg Expending your Mk2 Grenade takes an attack action
eg Expending a Bandage of your first aid kit requires you to pay 1 action.
Expend(ed) - Gain the effect, then discard the card or
counter.

2/ Yes (unless you prefer to use the older version still for WF SF, but the newest is preferred for WF WWII)

3/ Place and Present are different keywords and effects.

Place - Place the Hostile card in the noted Location or
Objective card. The Hostile card counts toward the eventual
Hostile value of the Location or Objective card if it is drawn
for the Location it is to be Placed in. The Hostile card does
not count toward the eventual Hostile value of the Location
or Objective card if it is drawn for a Location other than the
one it is to be Placed in. The Placed Hostile enters play
active, even if the Objective has not yet been Activated.

Present - Find the noted card and add it to the Location. The
card is in addition to the Hostiles normally drawn for the
Location. If the noted card is already in play, use a stand-in
card until it becomes available.

e.g. Hostile - Mortar Team - Screened by (0‐2). Place in the
Objective. Immobile. Penetration 1. Indirect Fire.

I draw Mortar team in location #2.. but then place it active in the Objective (say Location #6).. since it is immobile it doesn't move - but once the targeted soldier is in range - it will start dropping mortar rounds on him (Range 1-3)in the Hostile shooting phase. Once we activate the objective - the mortar team card is in addition to what would normally be in the Objective.

{I'm particularly proud of this type of Hostile devil - though it isn't as deadly as it was in the first play tests.. cry but then I did't mind a higher failure and casualty count.. shake }

e.g. Mission - Tank Hunting - Destroy the Tank:
Present German Elite “PzKfw IVH Tank” or US Elite “M4 Tank”.

In this case I would not put the tank on the objective until the objective is activated. Once activated it is as any other unit.

4/ WFSF jungle Elite hostile - I'd have to check the rules and keyword on the card - but to avoid confusion I'll be using the WF WW2 keyword rules when I play WF SF.

5/ MG34 will very likely be in Wave 2, till then use the MG42 as a stand in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thanks for the quick reply have just put a post about MP40 cards as one says 9x9mm ammo other says 5x9mm ammo!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some extra questions and clarifications
1 The Friendly Forces location card when does it activate? I assume it is as soon as you play it.

2 Escape mission and Local Knowledge skill. Just played this mission so turn one placed a location, I moved in and killed or suppressed enemy in the location. I then expended smoke to stop the 0-9 reinforcement attacking me. End of Hostile phase added the objectives reinforcements as per escape mission. Next turn expended 2Xp to use Local knowledge to pick The Friendly Forces location and cleared all the troops in the objective then headed in to it having finished off any enemy in my location. Even with moving the objective one back I only had one to go used 2xp to pick Ruins and ran for home without a single shot against me. Local Knowledge skills seems very strong for only 2 skill points.

3 Previous mission at the objective I had to eliminate all hostiles but picked Harassing Forces must I kill them as well to complete? Because I had the mission -1 to number of hostiles this was all I picked. I went back to kill them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm away for the next 12 hours - I'll try to answer in the next day or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PandaBall wrote:
Some extra questions and clarifications
1 The Friendly Forces location card when does it activate? I assume it is as soon as you play it.

2 Escape mission and Local Knowledge skill. Just played this mission so turn one placed a location, I moved in and killed or suppressed enemy in the location. I then expended smoke to stop the 0-9 reinforcement attacking me. End of Hostile phase added the objectives reinforcements as per escape mission. Next turn expended 2Xp to use Local knowledge to pick The Friendly Forces location and cleared all the troops in the objective then headed in to it having finished off any enemy in my location. Even with moving the objective one back I only had one to go used 2xp to pick Ruins and ran for home without a single shot against me. Local Knowledge skills seems very strong for only 2 skill points.

3 Previous mission at the objective I had to eliminate all hostiles but picked Harassing Forces must I kill them as well to complete? Because I had the mission -1 to number of hostiles this was all I picked. I went back to kill them.

1/ 8-13 Friendly Forces - Location action card
Free to play.
+1 Location card.
Discard all the Hostile
cards Behind your
Location.

Play this card as you would with any other location, apply the results immediately.
Yes it clears all the Hostiles behind the location of the soldier that plays it (Just as the Break Contact Action Card does in WF SF)
Note - you don't discard the hostiles in the location of the soldier
Note - you cannot play more than 1 location in any Soldier turn.

2/ W-196 Local Knowledge - Skill
Pay 2 XP to look through the
Location Deck and move any
1 Location into your hand.
Then shuffle the
Location Deck.

It is a very useful skill - and with Friendly forces it can make an escape mission so much easier - not as easy as a WF SF "Break Contact" Action Card, but still easier! ninja

Well done!

It isn't full proof - but a great combination that should make that mission easier especially when the number of locations is so few.

Don't forget that you do still need to spend actions/xp to place locations etc.

If you feel that it makes the game too easy - don't take the skill. whistle

3/ 5-75 Harassing Forces
1 Behind Rear‐most. Maintain 2.
Advance the Timer counter by 1
at the end of each Soldier Turn.

Eliminate Hostiles - There must be no Hostile cards in the
Objective at the end of a Soldier Turn. Hostiles that start in
the Objective card must still be Killed, even if they move out
of the Objective card.

Since the Harassing Force doesn't start in the Objective, and since they must maintain 2 from their target and start 1 behind rear-most - you do not need to eliminate them, unless you want to!

ps - it helps me to find cards meanings if you specify the card number code - eg 2-20

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I will remember that when asking about cards. The Harassing force one was strange because it meant the objective was completed after I put it down as no hostiles on it. Another that came from the example of play in rules which seemed to imply that he drew an Ambusher in location then said as per card text I then moved them to soldiers location. So if i picked them at the objective would they still need to be eliminated to complete?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you drew the Harassing Force as the only objective card - the Harassing Force would not start in the Objective and so you would have an easy mission success.

It can work the other way as well - a non objective location that reinforces with a hostile that needs to be placed in your fore-most soldiers location could be the objective - which will make it harder for you to eliminate all as the objective now gets that reinforcement as starting there and needing to be eliminated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Another question I am playing the Raid mission in a campaign does this count as 14 for vps as 7 to objective then do an escape mission 7 back?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No - just the 7

Being the number of locations and not the number of locations entered.

Usually the return from the raid objective is "easy" - unless you have left enemies behind on the way to the objective of locations that always reinforce or just often reinforce.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Ball
United Kingdom
Nr Grantham
Lincs
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
That was my misreading, I assumed I complete objective then start a new mission from the objective which is escape so would have to lay new locations. But from what you are saying I just have to move back through the already laid locations with only the hostile from reinforcements appearing. I like this idea might be interesting to do in WFSF.
If anyone is downed going to objective or from objective to mission are they automatically killed in action as this is an escape mission?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are right - you come back the way you went out, you cannot place new locations.

Only if downed in the escape part of the mission would they count as automatically killed.

On the way to the objective they have a chance of surviving.. stretcher bearers, crawling to safety etc.

On the way back from the objective - with very angry Hostiles stirred up by your raid's success with the objective... no...

For them - the war is over.

You can use any WF WW2 mission/objective/location with WFSF and visa versa.
Indeed you can use soldiers/hostiles from different eras if you want..
Just wait for WF Fantasy for dragons! whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.