Popular Tags: [View All]
Adastra
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey crafty people,

I'd like to make a folding game board for a PnP game. I already have a rough idea how to make it based on GeekElite's game boxes, but I'm not so sure about how to make the folding part work.

Does anyone have any experience with that and can give me some advice?

Also, would 3mm foamboard work instead of chipboard, or is chipboard the only way to go?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
I happened to do a video on making game boards just recently:

How exactly you do it depends on what materials you have to hand, what your printing capacity is and so on - but it's probably best to look for some cloth or paper "hinge tape" or "bookbinder's tape" to do the hinges and then you can get away with sticking down A4 full-page labels or similar for each section of the board.

3mm foamboard will work, but in my experience it's more prone to warping than the equivalent thickness of card, and definitely dents and damages more easily. If you have thick 2-3mm card to hand, that's probably the best option.

(You can avoid warping to a degree by making sure that when you glue or otherwise cover a surface of your board, you glue or cover the opposite surface similarly. Most warping is caused by the uneven absorption of moisture across opposites faces of a board.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adastra
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that's an amazing video, thank you!

I'll try to find some bookbinder's tape and I think everything else should be rather straightforward now that I've watched this

I wonder about the vinyl though – I crafted something with vinyl adhesive a while ago, but I found that it smells really horrible. Also, the surface (on which I printed with my inkjet) feels really bad too, kind of rough and like it's about to shed the color. Did you have these problems at all?

My bad experience with vinyl makes me kind of want to try linen paper instead, which then will of course need spray adhesive and coating instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leif Carlsen
United States
Kennewick
Washington
flag msg tools
Illegitimi Non Carborundum
badge
Tri-City Area Gaming
mbmbmbmb
I recently found this series of videos by Pub Meeple to be helpful. In my experience, a single layer of chipboard was sufficient for single-fold boards; perhaps I am using heavier chipboard. Also, spray glue as recommended in the video is much better than the glue sticks I've been using, and full page label sheets works fine for smaller boards. I've had a bit of trouble with the fold looking cracked on my printed side, but I think different paper and/or higher temp on my laser printer will help that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
I've made a few folding boards. Including a nine section board for Ticket to Ride: Texas

This was one of my first. I used PVA (white) glue which is water based. It caused the printed paper to pucker. I did use cloth on both sides between the the paper on the front and the chipboard in the middle (no paper on the back though).

I've made a couple with chipboard (double thickness) and stick on label sheets. I recommend Avery brand sheets as they are thick and completely opaque.

This one just uses chipboard with the label sheets. For each fold, I cut a strip of label sheet about 3 to 4 inches wide on the inside of the hinge with the board pieces flat and another on the outside with the board pieces folded inside to inside. Then I applied the printed labels to the face side and blank labels to the outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
raevynn wrote:

I wonder about the vinyl though – I crafted something with vinyl adhesive a while ago, but I found that it smells really horrible. Also, the surface (on which I printed with my inkjet) feels really bad too, kind of rough and like it's about to shed the color. Did you have these problems at all?

"Vinyl adhesive" covers a wide range of things, which aren't necessarily related at all to the kind of vinyl I was using in that video; "vinyl" just refers to a particular combination of carbon and hydrogen atoms, and that combination exists in harder plastics like acrylic or styrene, glues like PVA (poly vinyl acetate), softer plastics like PVC (poly vinyl chloride) and so on. The stuff I was using in the video is a PVC sheet which has been commercially printed and has a pressure-sensitive adhesive pre-applied to one side - it's just a convenient way to get large graphics like game boards printed and attached to card.

If you prefer to print everything at home, then you can simply print A4 sized and lay down bookbinder's tape to form the hinges before sticking down the printed material. Just be sure to get a non-plasticised cloth or paper hinge tape to make sure you can stick things to it!

To protect your inkjet printing, give it a coat or two of spray lacquer - personally I use an acrylic lacquer, which is usually safe to use. Test it on something you don't care about so much first to make sure that it doesn't interact badly with the inkjet inks you use, and spray thin, light coats; if the lacquer starts to pool or run it increases the chances the ink will run as well.

If you do want to print on fancy papers like linen paper instead of using full-sheet labels, then a neat trick to make them easier to glue down in a precise position is to spray-glue the back of them, then lay waxed baking paper (wax side down!) over the glue. So long as you don't take too long over it you can peel the wax baking paper back like a sticker backing and position the spray-glued linen paper in much the same way you can a sheet label.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
maldrak wrote:
I've had a bit of trouble with the fold looking cracked on my printed side, but I think different paper and/or higher temp on my laser printer will help that.

Fuser temperature doesn't help that much with cracking down folds, but spray-lacquer does.

The problem is that the paper has a thickness, so as you fold it one surface of the paper needs to travel further around the fold than the other surface does. This stretches the paper (and unevenly, at that!) at the join. With inkjet printing the ink soaks right into the paper so even after the paper is stretched it still usually looks fine, but laser printing is just a thin layer of (relatively inelastic) plastic melted onto the top surface of the paper, so it cracks instead.

If you spray-lacquer it, then it adds strength to the plastic layer so it's less likely to allow the paper to stretch, which helps the problem. If you laminate it with something like self-adhesive cold-laminate plastic that will help as well - although that sometimes brings its own problems!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Schott
United States
Roanoke
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pawnpusher wrote:
I've made a few folding boards. Including a nine section board for Ticket to Ride: Texas

This was one of my first. I used PVA (white) glue which is water based. It caused the printed paper to pucker. I did use cloth on both sides between the the paper on the front and the chipboard in the middle (no paper on the back though).

I have to try this at some point. What size boards did you use to make the TX map? We printed it, taped it together, and laminated it (then rolled it), but of course that results in a board that doesn't stay very flat. Making an actual board seems like it would be a better choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Staines
United Kingdom
Grantham
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
We printed it, taped it together, and laminated it (then rolled it), but of course that results in a board that doesn't stay very flat.

Remember that if you do it enough (or think that you might), you can invest in a large sheet of perspex or something - often found in cheap picture frames - and just lay it over the top of your printed-and-taped-together board to keep it flat. As a bonus it becomes moderately spill-proof into the bargain. ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Hensel
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Have games, Will travel
mbmbmbmbmb
paschott wrote:
pawnpusher wrote:

I have to try this at some point. What size boards did you use to make the TX map? We printed it, taped it together, and laminated it (then rolled it), but of course that results in a board that doesn't stay very flat. Making an actual board seems like it would be a better choice.

Each section is about 10-5/16" wide x 10-11/32" high. As you can see in the photo there are top and bottom margins, but none on the sides. So the sections could have been a bit shorter. Overall the printed image is about 30-15/16" wide x 29-1/4" high. I was aiming to make the sections about the same size those in the Ticket to Ride board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've built a few.

The linen bookbinder's tape works great for hinges. I am using linen paper spray glued to double-thick chip board. They are laser printed and coated (used to use Krylon Crystal Clear, now using Minwax Clear Gloss Polyurethane).

It takes practice to get the technique; I am getting better and the 1800 board is my best effort yet (extra difficulty--all these are double-sided). I'll have to watch Jake's video for some more tips; if it's anything like the card making video it should be excellent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.