$20.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Conan» Forums » General

Subject: Biggest Decision When Playing a Hero - When to take a breather to regain crystals rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christo Lockxxx
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
When considering the rules, I think the most important piece to explain to new players is the tactical importance of deciding when to take a rest for a turn to regain some crystals.

I would be interested to know if anyone has another "key" rule that they emphasize when giving a pre-game explanation of the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Midlothian
Virginia
flag msg tools
Man is most nearly himself when he achieves...
badge
We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
It takes a little bit of "deprogramming" of similar tactical games to remind the players that they can interrupt each other's actions in order to do something. Organic play on the part of the heroes takes some readjustment. I think it helps telling the players that if they can imagine it, they probably can do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Ramsey
Canada
North Delta
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Screws fall out all the time. The world is an imperfect place.
mbmbmbmbmb
In our first game a few days ago, I played the Overlord and two of my friends played Conan and Shevatas. I had read through the rules earlier in the day (what a mess, by the way - can't wait for the updated rules). I also watched a few playthrough videos. I emphasized the importance of budgeting their crystals, even gave a few examples of why you don't want to blow them all at once. Nevertheless, they spent ALL of their crystals on their active phase in turn 1. For most of the rest of the game, they were forced to take on more of a defensive role. They did take a few turns in "cautious" stance to allow some recovery, but it was never enough.

This was "The Key of Kuthchemes" scenario. In the end, it wasn't really close. I had the main floor packed with foes and both heroes had taken a considerable amount of damage (I think Conan was down to 2 health by turn 6), Shevatas wasn't doing much better. By the time they found the key, there simply wasn't time to get out of the building. We had a bit of a debriefing afterwards, and we think a lot of the trouble they had could be traced back to what happened on turn 1. It allowed the Overlord to really control the flow of the game, and manipulate the heroes into being "reactive" rather than "active".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mad Halfling
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I put together a reminder game aid - the current content is in this thread. There's also a pretty PDF version in the files section, but this isn't up-to-date as it was compiled from my ever-evolving list by another kind user (I have the artistic/graphic-design abilities of a duck) and once we'd got most of the core stuff done, they decided they'd wait for the V2 rules so we could clarify/nail-down the thread before redoing it once more (I can understand this, as it must be a bit of work to keep redoing).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.