Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing around a bit with a new set collection Icehouse game, and I'd love to get some feedback from anyone willing to try it. It works from 3-6 players with the materials in the Pyramid Arcade box, and inherited much of its DNA from Coloretto. For now, I've been calling it FrozenSets.

Materials:
3 Trios in each of N+3 colors (where N is number of players)
2 White Trios
N Looney Ludo boards (where N is number of players)
1 Drawstring bag

Goal:
Players will collect pyramids, and to maximize their points will try to build trees in three colors while avoiding collecting pyramids of other colors.

Setup:
Take N mediums in all different colors (not white) and randomly deal one to each player. Players place these pieces (and subsequently acquired pieces) in front of them. The player whose color is closest to the "start" of the rainbow (ROYGBV) is the starting player. Place the N looney ludo boards in the middle of the table. Place all the other pyramids in the drawstring bag.

Play:
The game is played over a number of rounds. Each round, players will take turns either drawing a pyramid and placing it on a looney ludo board, or collecting all the pyramids from a looney ludo board. When a player chooses to collect a looney ludo board, they take no more turns for the remainder of the round, and the round is finished when all players have taken 1 board. A new round begins with the last-to-play of the previous round going first.

A player chooses one of two actions to take on their turn:

A) Draw & Place a Pyramid: A player may reach into the drawstring bag and draw a single pyramid. The player may purposefully choose (by feel alone) the size of the pyramid they select. The player must then place the pyramid on one of the available looney ludo boards. A board may never have more than 6 pips of pyramids on it. If a player selects a piece which cannot be played to any available board, they must return the piece and select one of a size that can be placed. If no pyramids can be added to any boards, a player must choose to take a board instead (Action B).

B) Take a Board & Pyramids: Instead of drawing a new piece, a player can choose to take one of the looney ludo boards and all pieces on top of it. The player takes the board out from the center, and adds the pieces to the collection in front of them. This board is no longer in play for the remainder of the round. The player does not take any more actions for the remainder of the round. It is allowed to take an empty board.

Game End and Scoring:

Play continues in this manner until all three trios of one color (not white) have been drawn from the bag. At this point, the current round is the final round. The round is concluded in the usual manner, and points are tallied immediately thereafter.

When the game ends, players tally the value of the pyramids according to the scoring rubric below. Whoever has the highest score wins.

The three colors you have the most pips in count positive, all other colors count negatively. White pyramids are wild, and can be allocated as any other color.

Scoring:
Large +/- 3 points
Medium +/- 2 points
Small +/- 1 point
Tree Bonus +/- 4 points

The tree bonus is awarded for every monochrome tree you possess, in addition to the 6 points its individual pyramids score you. In the unlikely event that you have a monochrome tree in a color that is not one of your three that you have most pips in, then the bonus is -4 points.

Feedback is very welcome. Also suggestions as to whether or not this is the right place to post this (and where instead would be better) are welcomed. I think this could probably work as a 2 player game with a dummy player, too, but I haven't tried it like that yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cool This looks nifty.

Rules considerations: It seems odd that the the number of wilds (white pyramids) does not depend on the number of players.

I'm also not sure about the end game condition. Noticing whether all three trios are on the table will be hard when there are 9 colours distributed across 6 players.

A purely visual thing: With three players, you could use black larges instead of ludo boards to stack pieces as they are drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carthoris Pyramidos
United States
Centennial
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Looney Pyramids forums are probably a good place for game design WIP with 'mids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pmagnus wrote:

Rules considerations: It seems odd that the the number of wilds (white pyramids) does not depend on the number of players.

I wanted to avoid having too many fiddly things dependent on number of players, but you might be right. Something I'll play around with for sure.

pmagnus wrote:

I'm also not sure about the end game condition. Noticing whether all three trios are on the table will be hard when there are 9 colours distributed across 6 players.

In practice, it's a bit better than it seems because usually every player is particularly focused on only certain colors. So when a player sees, e.g., that a pink large is drawn and knows that's their last chance to get a pink large, they'll realize all nine mids of pink are on the board. But it does rely pretty heavily on players being observant. I'd love to come up with some alternatives, but the other ones I tried were immediately cumbersome ("when there are no more pyramids of a particular size left in the draw bag") or too long ("play until all pyramids drawn"). This feels about the right length, but maybe it does need to be something more visible.

pmagnus wrote:

A purely visual thing: With three players, you could use black larges instead of ludo boards to stack pieces as they are drawn.

This was the first thing I tried. With stacking you have to be careful to avoid hiding pieces, and the black pieces get visually confused with the other pieces on the table. The ludo boards are nice because a player takes the board and all its pieces to them, and then it's clear what the game state is.

Thanks a lot for the feedback! I'm hoping to workshop this one a bit more. The size selection of drawing pieces and collecting trees offers enough difference from Coloretto to me that I don't feel like it's just a simple "port" to Icehouse. The considerations on a turn are different.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Fogus
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I played around with the idea of "Pyrametto"[1] a couple of years ago and was never satisfied with the results. I like your take much better!

[1]: https://github.com/fogus/spiel/blob/master/on-hold/abandoned...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P.D. Magnus
United States
Albany
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering how it would play with two players. Coloretto plays two-player by changing the way the base cards work: There's a normal base, a base that holds just two cards, and a base that holds just one card.

The obvious parallel here would be to have a base that holds 6 pips, a base that holds 4 pips, and a base that holds 2 pips. But maybe there's something better to be done.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
...suggestions as to whether or not this is the right place to post this (and where instead would be better) are welcomed.

You can also post a copy (or a link) on a page on the icehouse wiki (https://www.icehousegames.org/wiki/index.php) - the advantage is that you can then add categories for it & it will show up in searches made there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.