Hide
11 Posts

Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: Play without monsters? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Donatien Lacroix
msg tools
I know it is a strange question, but it is pisdible to play with rules of this game on solo version whithout all fantasy stuff? Just cowboys, indians, sherriffs, gunslingers,.,,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Donatien wrote:
I know it is a strange question, but it is pisdible to play with rules of this game on solo version whithout all fantasy stuff? Just cowboys, indians, sherriffs, gunslingers,.,,

No it wouldn't. You would have no-one to fight. The cowboys, sheriffs, gunslingers, etc. are all the heroes that you play. You fight all the monsters so a game without the monsters would just involve wandering around the mines looking at stuff.

I would recommend checking out Six Gun Sound: Blaze of Glory! if you are looking for a cowboy themed game for solo play. It is just rules, but you can buy lots of terrain and miniatures that are western-themed to go with the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Lewis
United States
Tempe
Arizona
flag msg tools
Yep. Just remove the threat cards for the monsters. The base game would have no enemies, but you could supplement. Frontier Town, Scafford Gang, Undead Outlaw, and the Lost Army would be the expansions to get.

However, there's many games already around that might work better for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dverning wrote:
Yep. Just remove the threat cards for the monsters. The base game would have no enemies, but you could supplement. Frontier Town, Scafford Gang, Undead Outlaw, and the Lost Army would be the expansions to get.

I guess that would depend on whether you consider mutated cowboys, or zombie cowboys, to be "fantasy stuff" or not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"GAME OVER, MAN. GAME OVER!"
Denmark
Aarhus
Unwashed and somewhat slightly dazed...
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The only non fantasy/sci-fi/horror type eneny I can think of, are the bandits from the Frontier Town expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you can, doing it right now with both games just mentioned above.
I'm just not using any of the monsters or dark stone stuff, very easy to adapt and see other old west rpg stuff I have .

I love the cowboy stuff in this game and system, I' ve played the city of ancients basic missions and love the town expansion.

I have a good system now working with six gun sound and using other rpgs and card games with old west theme ...very fun

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Jurney
United States
Tooele
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You would probably want to get the town expansion whic has bandits and a town board that you can stop bank heists, prevent innocent men from hanging at the hands of a corrupt sheriff or even have a high noon shootout. The monsters do make up a large part of the game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ET11 wrote:
Of course you can, doing it right now with both games just mentioned above.
I'm just not using any of the monsters or dark stone stuff, very easy to adapt and see other old west rpg stuff I have .

I love the cowboy stuff in this game and system, I' ve played the city of ancients basic missions and love the town expansion.

I have a good system now working with six gun sound and using other rpgs and card games with old west theme ...very fun

For clarity, are you suggesting you can play the game as is without monsters/dark stone (which I don't agree is possible) or are you saying you can use the components as miniatures and boards to play the rules from a different game (like Six Gun Sound)?

For example, if you aren't using monsters, who are you fighting in the City of Ancients basic missions?

This is an important distinction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donatien Lacroix
msg tools
Ok thanks all, I will have a look on Town frontier expansion and boardgame Six Gun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim DuPertuis

California
msg tools
mb
A bit off topic, but in a game we played this past weekend, we hit no monsters before the objective room. Three encounters in a row gave us enough clues so that the fourth room was the objective room...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Harman
United States
Ontario
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
timdp wrote:
A bit off topic, but in a game we played this past weekend, we hit no monsters before the objective room. Three encounters in a row gave us enough clues so that the fourth room was the objective room...

I've had that happen once or twice. I've also done whole missions without running into any encounters. It's unusual, but possible. RNG gonna randomize

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.