$30.00
Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Agricola (revised edition)» Forums » General

Subject: "family game" with new revised edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Stout
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
In my "old" Agricola I can play either regular or family version. Is that the same for the revised. Or did they split it up with the new family version?


Got a friend trying to decide which version to buy.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Begy
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
designer
http://www.jasonbegy.com
badge
http://www.jasonbegy.com
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
As I recall, the original family game was just the regular game w/o occupations or minors.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
that Matt
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
I'm a quitter. I come from a long line of quitters. It's amazing I'm here at all.
badge
I can feel bits of my brain falling away like wet cake.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jasonbartfast wrote:
As I recall, the original family game was just the regular game w/o occupations or minors.

There was a different, slightly more generous board that helped compensate for the lack of minor improvements and occupations.

So the new version of the regular game no longer includes those modifications. See below!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bastian Winkelhaus
Germany
Mainz
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tumorous wrote:

So the new version of the regular game no longer includes those modifications.


Thats not true.

2 of the 4 changes to the action spaces in the old edition are still in the new edition. Only they are not printed on the backside of the board. Instead the game comes with 2 extra tiles to cover the respective spaces with (starting player + food and build 1 stable for 1wood + bake bread).

The Day Laborer space remains unchanged, instead of providing 1 food + 1 building resource as in the old edition.

But the game comes with 2 extra tiles to use in addition to the regular board. They can be used in the family game or in the regular game.
One can be used in a 2 player game and has 4 different action spaces, of which only 1 can be used.
The other one can be used in a 3 or 4 player game and provides 2 additional action spaces.

So its not 100% the same, but it does support playing without cards in a slightly different way.
6 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swampy Crocker
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zlorfik wrote:
tumorous wrote:

So the new version of the regular game no longer includes those modifications.


Thats not true.

2 of the 4 changes to the action spaces in the old edition are still in the new edition. Only they are not printed on the backside of the board. Instead the game comes with 2 extra tiles to cover the respective spaces with (starting player + food and build 1 stable for 1wood + bake bread).

The Day Laborer space remains unchanged, instead of providing 1 food + 1 building resource as in the old edition.

But the game comes with 2 extra tiles to use in addition to the regular board. They can be used in the family game or in the regular game.
One can be used in a 2 player game and has 4 different action spaces, of which only 1 can be used.
The other one can be used in a 3 or 4 player game and provides 2 additional action spaces.

So its not 100% the same, but it does support playing without cards in a slightly different way.


This. I taught my students to play without using the cards, just to prevent confusion. Using the extra action spaces makes it work. I actually prefer it as I get overwhelmed by the card choices.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Great Falls
Virginia
flag msg tools
Avatar
And the appendix that comes along in the box tells you what to make different.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Yeager
United States
Ypsilanti
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the above pretty much nails it. The same "family" variant that has been in the Agricola ruleset all along remains in the current edition, with the usual small tweaks.

The actual Agricola Family Edition is a standalone version of those rules that have been both optimized for the absence of cards, and streamlined for ease of scoring and speed of play.

Alex Yeager
Mayfair Games/Lookout Games/Twilight Creations
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.