GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,275 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Art and Graphic Design

Subject: Looking for card Feedback rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
chris laforce
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Hey guys, looking for some feedback on a character card design. It's supposed to evoke the style of classic jrpgs. I'm thinking a clip will track the health at the bottom, where the hearts are.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Fergin
United States
Baltimore
MD
flag msg tools
Homer Simpson
badge
"Trying is the first step towards failure."
mbmbmbmbmb
I like it. Clean, easy to read and understand. I wonder if the hearts should be red, though? Or, for proper contrast, red with white border?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris laforce
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Thanks so much for the reply! I was thinking I didn't want to add too many colors, but they do definitely look better red. Good call

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Christensen
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Overall I like the look, my only issue is the two fonts are really different. You've got a clean sans serif for most of it and then a cool fantasy font for the small print.

I feel like sticking with one style of font and using variations on it would maybe make the card feel a bit more cohesive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Culbertson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agree with Benj on the double fonts. Are you looking for a 8- or 16-bit vibe or something more modern? There are some good classic video game fonts out there that I've been toying with (Press Start 2P as an example)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris laforce
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
Thanks so much for the feedback guys, really appreciate it! I changed all the font to a serif and it does look better. I'm going for a look that's reminiscent of classic rpgs, but would look good with full digital illustrations. Otherwise would definitely be looking at the 8 bit fonts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
You need border margin on top and bottom. You have it on left and right already. If red hearts blend into the black too much, you could just tint them red a little. It would be a subtle, subliminal difference enough to make them stand out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Kocurek
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
I agree with everyone else. Clean and nice. I think the white outline with red hearts would work well too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Haakon Gaarder
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking good, just needs more empty space around the edges. You should test with some placeholder art to see how it will work. I'd be tempted to try a font more like the one in FF7 menu, unless that's too much nostalgia for you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.