Hide
6 Posts

Mythos» Forums » Variants

Subject: The Lurking Horror: A Solitaire Variant for Mythos rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
dark yeoman
msg tools
I'm glad to announce that the rules for my solo variant of Mythos are now available on BGG: The Lurking Horror: A Solitaire Variant for Mythos

I attempted to recreate the multiplayer game as much as possible for a single player (mostly by keeping Combat, which many solo variants do away with).

I tried to make the rules as clear as possible. But one thing that is perhaps confusing is that in this variant you only need to "pass" once to end the round (and so you will only get one extra Monster in your opposing Threat). I'll clarify that in an update to the rules soon. Please let me know if you think anything else is unclear.

Feedback is much appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Heya DarkYeoman!

This solo variant sounds great - much more like the actual game than mine. I'm building a deck to test it at the moment.

Can I just check how you play cards that are needed for Adventures but don't fall into the headings - Locations, Allies, Spells, Tomes and Artifacts. Do you put Monsters, Evets etc that are needed for your Adventures in your Mythos Deck or Seed them in the Monster/Event decks?

Also do you have any suggested Themed Monster/Event deck lists to play against?

Thanks,

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools
Thank you for trying it out!

The Monsters and Events you need to complete your Adventures go in your Mythos Deck, apart from Phobias, which go in the Event Deck.

My Monster Deck contains basically all the Monster cards that I have left (i.e. all that are not in my own deck). It might be good to make sure there is a good variety there, so that they are not all super strong or all very weak, but apart from that I've never paid much attention to what went in there. You could make it thematic, I suppose, but it had not occurred to me yet to do that. I really like the idea, though. Maybe something to try out later.

The same applies to the Event Deck.

Does that help?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools

To clarify, from the rules of The Lurking Horror:

Quote:
If you draw a Great Old One or an Outer God, ignore the appearance conditions (listed under the card name). It will remain in play until the end of the Round. Phobias and Great Old Ones drawn from your Event Deck count towards your Adventures. Bury them face down at the bottom of your Story Deck when they are buried. (Face down, because that will make it easy to extract them when you have to discard your Story Deck when you complete an Adventure---they are not reshuffled into your Mythos Deck, but back into your Event Deck.)

Night, Day, Storm, and Star Events drawn from the Event Deck do not count towards your Adventures, and when they should be buried, they are discarded next to the Event Deck. Spells drawn from your Event Deck are applied and then immediately discarded. They too do not count towards your Adventures.

and:

Quote:
Monsters from your opposing Threat are not placed in your Story Deck, but are discarded next to the Monster Deck. Those Monsters do not count towards your Adventures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Andrews
Wales
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks! It does indeed. I might do some themed 'hazard' decks (I'm sure MECCG won't mind if we borrow the term) as I think it would be quite cool. I bought an almost complete collection last year and am looking forward to getting some more authentic Mythos style gameplay in than my 'adventure' rules which I made ages ago when I only had a couple of boxes.

Craig
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dark yeoman
msg tools

Yes, I really like the idea of a themed Event and Monster Deck. I hadn't though of that, but it has worked really well in my solo MECCG games, so why not here?

Please let me know how you find the variant, both in terms of how it plays and how clear it is explained in the rules. I haven't had much feedback on it. I've enjoyed it, but I'm curious to hear how others find it too.

I should perhaps add that I played this variant mostly with decks that made me travel to more than one region. I'm not sure how well it works if you stay in a single region, or even a single city (like Arkham), since Events are played from the Event deck every time you move to a new region or dimension or when you are in the country.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.