Star Wars: Destiny» Forums » General

Subject: Star Wars: Destiny vs Marvel Dice Masters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
manu d
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey,
I would like to start getting into a CCG/dice game.
The big contenders here seem to be this and (Marvel) Dice Masters.

I've looked up the basic concepts, but can anyone compare those two? I'm wondering which one to get...

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just tried destiny yesterday for the first time and I played dice masters competitively since the beginning. Destiny is more of a CCG with dice. DM is a straight up dice game you can see all your opponents options. There's randomness in both games but there is hidden knowledge in destiny that you don't have in DM. It's up to you what you'll like better. Both games have a lot going for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Others can say what they will about each game, which are both very different experiences, but I will add this: Dice Masters has been losing players fast (which it's remaining holdouts will vehemently deny, for some odd reason), and still suffers from a very stale metagame due to a very unbalanced, uneven card pool full of under- and over-powered cards, severely restricting your options when building a team that can actually compete. So if you want to get into organized play, Destiny is your way to go.

That said, if you're just interested in casual play, not interested in going to tournaments or competitive events, Dice Masters is cheaper, with a major head-start on card pool, a dirt-cheap secondary market for most cards & dice, and very possibly a faster-paced game to play. Also, if you like drafting, Dice Masters drafts beautifully, while Destiny is simply impossible to draft due to deckbuilding requirements and character distribution. It depends entirely on what you're looking for in your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manu d
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks guys, that already helps a lot!

From what I've read, I'm inclined to go with Destiny (I guess I'm might be looking more for a CCG with dice and the metagame aspect doesn't sound too appealing in DM either...). A few of the reviews seem to suggest that Destiny is more "family-friendly", or even aimed towards kids. Not per se a bad thing, but I was worried it would make the game too simple or too random.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Pittman
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have just dipped a toe into Destiny, playing in the launch event and buying a couple of boosters. I really enjoyed it.

I have also played Dice Masters casually in a very limited way. I've only bought two DC themed sets and have not intention of buying any more. I like it too.

I agree with ironcates that both games have something going for them and that they are very different.

DM feels more like MTG with dice, whereas SWD feels a bit more like Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn (currently my favourite game).

The collectibility of SWD feels steeper than DM, because with DM if you pull a rare or super rare chances are you have plenty of dice to use it from lower rarity versions of the same character. However, SWD will likely require a bigger financial commitment if you want to have two cards/dice (a playset) of a legendary card. You want two Vaders, you need lots of luck or be willing to pay secondary market prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
scott Murray
Australia
Ridgewood
West Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Destiny has a lot of luck mitigation. Cards can be discarded to refill, other cards and dice can change results and you can even screw with the opponents dice.

As a long time DM player, I can see the game is dying. Destiny is the ultimate replacement. I recommend it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Combs
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As was touched on before, Destiny is a card/dice hybrid but bad rolls have plenty of mitigation options.

I bought a decent amount of Dice Masters but never really felt engaged. The first 5 minutes of playing Destiny I was completely immersed. There is a ton of options with deck building, plenty of mechanics, and deck options. I think we have a good thing here, can't wait to see it develop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played both and after playing Destiny I will probably never play DM again. DM plays on autopilot but Destiny I am in a constant state of trying to outthink my opponent and worrying what cards they might be holding. The customizability in Destiny is far superior to DM as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Red Castle
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played both, still only with the starters with Destiny though, but that will change Thursday when I'll get my booster box. My personal opinion is that Destiny is a much stronger game.

DiceMaster is more abstract. You take 8 characters with 20 dice divided among them. You start the game with only sidekick dice in your dicebag and must buy the dice from your characters to add them to the bag. Once you bought them, you must randomly pick them, roll them on their character side and pay the cost to summon them on the field so that they can fight. I guess that the dice represent characters, but I'm not sure because you can have multiple of the same character on the field. Combat is like in magic: Each character have an attack and defense value written on their dice with different level of strenght depending on their side, the attack must be higher than the defense to defeat the opponent assigned to it, if you decide to not block it, it will deal damage to you. The goal is to inflict 20 damage directly to your opponent, just like in magic. Where the game fails I think is that each character also have special abilities that they bring to the table(which in itself is a very good idea, it helps to give flavor to the characters instead of being just dice), but in practice these abilities are highly imbalanced ,which make taking some character or version of them pointless and create a highly rock-paper-cissor meta game. Loved Dicemaster at first, but it quickly became boring and I found that I had no fun playing, regardless of if I was winning or losing. I might also have to do with how the turn goes. During your turn, you roll 4 dice from your bag plus those from your reserve, you can reroll the dice you want once and them must use the ressources rolled and pay the cost to summon the dice you want, so there is a micromanagement each of your turn, and your opponent can do nothing (almost) during that time. It can lead to big downtime for them or for you when it's their turn.

As for Destiny, your dice doesn't represent your character but their actions. When you create your team, you pick some characters (up to 30pts) and 30 cards. You start the game with your characters already in play with their respective dice. Your goal is simply to kill all your opponent character, or for him to run out of cards completely. hat makes this game great is the interaction you have between players. When it is your turn, you can only do one action and then it's your opponent turn, and back and forth until someone claim the battlefield. An action is simply playing a card, activating a character (rolling his dice), resolving your dice from the same symbol, etc. So it's fast, there is no downtime and you can automatically react (if you have the right tools) to what your opponent just did. You don't feel as powerless as you will feel sometimes in Dicemaster. The way you add dice to your pool is fun, it's not just one more character dice added to the bag, it's a weapon or ability that you equip to the character of your choice so you'll roll them only when you'll activate this character. It can also be support to your character, like BB-8, a AT-ST or the Millenium Falcon acting independently from your characters. I also love how the dice can interact between each other. In my last game, I was playing Rey, Finn and BB-8. My opponent claimed the battlefield so I was free to do what I wanted. I had Rey and her lightsaber both on the +2 side, Finn on the Ressource and BB-8 on the Focus (can turn another dice on the side you want). So I used BB-8 to turn Finn on his Melee side so that he could strike for 5 damage with the help of Rey and her lightsaber. It felt really thematic to see all my characters working together to land the final blow.

To be honest, except that both game use dice and have characters, they really have nothing in common. They both play so differently that you can't really compare them. Don't be turn off by the price of Destiny. Dicemaster seems more affordable, but in reality there is so many useless cards and characters that you'll often by a pack for nothing. Destiny all the way for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Borders
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Obviously, you're in a biased section to ask the question.

Dicemasters has more in common with deck building games. As far as the game dying, that differs from area to area and for each individual gaming community. If you have fun and inventive local players then you will not have a stale or oppressive experience.

I have found the depth of dicemasters boundless.

That being said, Destiny seems great. It has the quick back and worth actions going for it.

It comes down to 2 main points. The deck building for both are very deep. Destiny has hidden information and DM has open similar to chess. Deck building for Dicemasters will be cheaper.

The other main point is the IPS. If you love star wars, you will probably like destiny. If you like the idea of assembly a team of heroes or villain or dragons and battling against another team you may like dicemasters.

A starter of dicemasters or 2 starters of destiny will settle this for you.

There are several YouTube channels that can give overviews of both.

I know I will be playing both happily.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Poland
Bytom
flag msg tools
galathonredd wrote:
if you like drafting, Dice Masters drafts beautifully, while Destiny is simply impossible to draft due to deckbuilding requirements and character distribution.

I'm not too sure about that "simply impossible" part. Of course, no one in their right mind would say Destiny "drafts beautifully". However, I think that drafts should be entirely possible and relatively cheap with a good set of special rules: 3-6 boosters + cards from starters, reduced character pool, starter-size decks, some special rules to balance things for players who weren't too lucky with drafting characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John dough
Netherlands
flag msg tools
One thing that really stands out is the quality of dice. Yes DM is dirt cheap but the dice are a low quality that it sometimes horrifies me. (I still bought the TMNT set though) The feel of destiny dice is way better. And at first those destiny dice looked like they were stickered but that is not the case they are hot stamped so really good quality WRT DM.

that being said 2 games 2 sorts of play. 1 is pure luck with only rolling of dice (nothing wrong with that) and the other is rolling and covert plays with the cards but also still a lot of luck but as said before it has a lot of mitigation on that.

I played both I am more for the quality and the star wars IP so I am stopping DM and start destiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
manu d
Germany
flag msg tools
Thanks everyone.

From what I've gathered, I think I'll go with Destiny. I prefer that it eliminates the luck part a little bit and that you have hidden cards.

biggs_nld wrote:
One thing that really stands out is the quality of dice. Yes DM is dirt cheap but the dice are a low quality that it sometimes horrifies me. (I still bought the TMNT set though) The feel of destiny dice is way better.

Funny you mention that, cause on pictures and in videos, the Destiny dice looked super cheap and plastic-y. Maybe because of their size...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BC Wendel
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why does it seem like so many people here think you can't like both games?

I have a ton of DM stuff and I definitely looking forward to this game coming out tomorrow. I'm not thrilled with the rarity system and am not sure how much I will buy, but I wasn't happy with the Dice Masters distribution at first either and got over that.

Dice Masters has a ton of different options to choose from and is a pretty fun game. I'm hoping Destiny will be just as enjoyable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoffer Wahlsten
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KevinMask wrote:
Why does it seem like so many people here think you can't like both games?

I don't think anyone is saying that. But there are things to consider if you're playing both, like monetary investment and actually finding players to play with as well as the time. I imagine many just won't be able to play both games, or want to for that matter. Besides, judging from this thread the people in here just seem to like SWD better. But no, no one is saying you can't like both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
koraldon
Israel
holon
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is a wrong forum to ask for objective opinion... Try in general recommendations
My 2 cent is that dice masters is a great game, with excellent deck construction. Would recommend it.
Destiny doesn't click for me and is much more expensive to play (a lot of good cards in DM are common)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kikathumper
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually would go with Dreadpool in that Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn is my current favorite and worth a look. It offers the hidden information, quality components, quick turns and dice manipulation that SWD does. It isn't collectible in the same way as either SW or DM though so you don't have to worry about that. I like that you can just play with everything. You don't need to chase the "good cards". You already own them.

However, if you want the Star Wars theme, then that's the real reason to play Destiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.