Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
26 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Feudum» Forums » General

Subject: Why so much kickstarter support/buzz? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The kickstarter seems a bit pricey, with lots of addons. Why is it getting so much buzz/support? What am I missing?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marius
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The addons are pricey, but the base game has a very reasonable price imo. Component quality seems to be comparable with a Eagle Gryphon Games Kickstarter, so 60 $ isn't too bad I would say.

Obviously the artwork is fantastic . And gameplay wise it's a quite heavy euro with a lot of interconections between different actions (maybe comparable to Gallerist/Kanban ?) which are rare and I'm always happy to see a new one coming out.

There are also some fresh ideas: There is an economy system with six guilds and only the guild masters can control the flow of goods between the guilds. And the players compete for control in these six guilds.

I'm very stoked .
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
The kickstarter seems a bit pricey, with lots of addons. Why is it getting so much buzz/support? What am I missing?


One of the most popular reviewers has this to say.

“I cannot wait for this game to come out! If I were ever to design a board game, this is the game I would design.” —Richard Ham of Rahdo Runs Through


Personally I like the artwork but I am trying to find the rulebook instead of watching a video on the rules to make up my mind.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Bridges
United States
Los Altos
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
Personally I like the artwork but I am trying to find the rulebook instead of watching a video on the rules to make up my mind.

Link to the rules provided on the Kickstarter page. Here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/zkedopqk54dcdvd/AAAI-kLVAZYfH9KMp...
1 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
The kickstarter seems a bit pricey, with lots of addons. Why is it getting so much buzz/support? What am I missing?


One of the most popular reviewers has this to say.

“I cannot wait for this game to come out! If I were ever to design a board game, this is the game I would design.” —Richard Ham of Rahdo Runs Through


Personally I like the artwork but I am trying to find the rulebook instead of watching a video on the rules to make up my mind.


I learned a long, long time ago that previews are generally overenthusiastic hype rather than objective criticism.

This goes especially true when someone previews seemingly every kickstarter with positive reviews.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunter Tätte
Estonia
Tartu
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
The kickstarter seems a bit pricey, with lots of addons. Why is it getting so much buzz/support? What am I missing?


One of the most popular reviewers has this to say.

“I cannot wait for this game to come out! If I were ever to design a board game, this is the game I would design.” —Richard Ham of Rahdo Runs Through


Personally I like the artwork but I am trying to find the rulebook instead of watching a video on the rules to make up my mind.

It's funny that this sentence from Rahdo is being advertised even though Rahdo refused to do a runthrough of Feudum because there was too much conflict for him and Jen. I don't think he'd design a game he doesn't want to play He probably said this before having read the rules.
15 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:

I learned a long, long time ago that previews are generally overenthusiastic hype rather than objective criticism.

This goes especially true when someone previews seemingly every kickstarter with positive reviews.


Especially-especially true when they are paid reviews. Which is why I pay no mind to that Undead Viking video that is constantly being thrown around.

The funny thing about that Rahdo quote is that it was from months ago, before he ever had the rules. Once he read the rules, he determined there was too much conflict and didn't even want to film a run through for it. So it's probably safe to say, that at this point, he would probably retract that quote (it is mostly likely *not* a game he would design, as he won't even play it), or at the very least amend it.

EDIT: ninja'd
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Great minds, Kunter
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Kunter wrote:
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
shadow9d9 wrote:
The kickstarter seems a bit pricey, with lots of addons. Why is it getting so much buzz/support? What am I missing?


One of the most popular reviewers has this to say.

“I cannot wait for this game to come out! If I were ever to design a board game, this is the game I would design.” —Richard Ham of Rahdo Runs Through


Personally I like the artwork but I am trying to find the rulebook instead of watching a video on the rules to make up my mind.

It's funny that this sentence from Rahdo is being advertised even though Rahdo refused to do a runthrough of Feudum because there was too much conflict for him and Jen. I don't think he'd design a game he doesn't want to play He probably said this before having read the rules.


Bingo, Kunter! Everyone PLEASE READ THIS COMMENT This is exactly correct. Feudum is being advertised with a quote from Rahdo about a game that Rahdo has not played at all, not even as a preview. And this is the MAIN advert of Feudum, which I find incredibly strange.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purdie
msg tools
Yep, my thoughts exactly. The game looks beautiful and sounds very interesting. But the review situation is worrisome. Most of them are previews from some time ago. One review is Undead Viking. And it's Undead Viking's quotes and Rahdo preview (from long ago) that get plastered all over the place

So the only words to go on are from Man vs Meeple. I haven't seen them being critical of any game though.

To sum it up, I've set a reminder for 48hrs before the campaign runs out and will reevaluate then. If some more impressions from actually playing the game come out - I'll probably back it. Otherwise, sounds like a risky endeavour.

(Although who knows, I want to like it, so I'll just talk myself into buying it during the upcoming weeks)
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The dishonesty in using that quote is enough to switch me right off.

If your game is good, then get good reviews. Using non-reviews as if they were reviews is extremely suspicious.
5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I place more blame with the game reviewers.
For awhile now it has seemed to me that several video game reviewers whose opinions I used to place some value in have been for lack of a better word, "compromised".
They don't seem reviews any "bad" games anymore.
Watching their reviews is like watching infomercials. soblue
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
I place more blame with the game reviewers.
For awhile now it has seemed to me that several video game reviewers whose opinions I used to place some value in have been for lack of a better word, "compromised".
They don't seem reviews any "bad" games anymore.
Watching their reviews is like watching infomercials. :soblue:


It's true that some reviewers appear to sell their opinions, but I think there is equal blame in buying opinions as there in selling them.

It's a sorry state though. I think what's worse in this case though is that the publisher is using a quote that they know is simply inapplicable, the reviewer (presumably) can't control that easily.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
BlackSpy wrote:
Lowden025 wrote:
I place more blame with the game reviewers.
For awhile now it has seemed to me that several video game reviewers whose opinions I used to place some value in have been for lack of a better word, "compromised".
They don't seem reviews any "bad" games anymore.
Watching their reviews is like watching infomercials. soblue


It's true that some reviewers appear to sell their opinions, but I think there is equal blame in buying opinions as there in selling them.

It's a sorry state though. I think what's worse in this case though is that the publisher is using a quote that they know is simply inapplicable, the reviewer (presumably) can't control that easily.


Yes. I feel the same about the publisher using that quote.
It opened up a side issue for me that has been gaining more ground lately..."respected" reviewers who lately seem to me to be more concerned with giving a game a good review than an honest one.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
BlackSpy wrote:
Lowden025 wrote:
I place more blame with the game reviewers.
For awhile now it has seemed to me that several video game reviewers whose opinions I used to place some value in have been for lack of a better word, "compromised".
They don't seem reviews any "bad" games anymore.
Watching their reviews is like watching infomercials. :soblue:


It's true that some reviewers appear to sell their opinions, but I think there is equal blame in buying opinions as there in selling them.

It's a sorry state though. I think what's worse in this case though is that the publisher is using a quote that they know is simply inapplicable, the reviewer (presumably) can't control that easily.


Yes. I feel the same about the publisher using that quote.
It opened up a side issue for me that has been gaining more ground lately..."respected" reviewers who lately seem to me to be more concerned with giving a game a good review than an honest one.




That is always a problem as someone gets more of a following. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can take any "review" seriously when the reviewer is churning out reviews for unreleased games and they are pretty much all positive.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
shadow9d9 wrote:



That is always a problem as someone gets more of a following. I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can take any "review" seriously when the reviewer is churning out reviews for unreleased games and they are pretty much all positive.


Not only that, but games that definitely have some obvious issues with them that the reviewer doesn't even mention.
They may like the game overall, but at least address the "elephant in the room" problems that people may have with them.

There are several reviewers whose reviews I used to look forward to watching I don't even bother with now. (Undead Viking, Rahdo, Drakenstrike (Man vs Meeple).

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McKinney
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:


There are several reviewers whose reviews I used to look forward to watching I don't even bother with now. (Undead Viking, Rahdo, Drakenstrike (Man vs Meeple).



Whose reviews do you generally trust?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
lexifer wrote:
[q="Lowden025"]


Whose reviews do you generally trust?


"Trust" for me means that I can get a read on how they really feel about a game and have an idea how my opinion will match up with theirs.

Mark Bigney (allthegamesyoulikearebad)
Marnaudo.
Bart Brunscheen (armed-medic and the "Hamtag" crew)
Derek Case. (Singlehandedwarfare)
Ryan Metzier (Slaqr)
The Dice Tower crew.
Shut Up and Sit Down.
Dan King (GameBoyGeek)


I may disagree with with what these folks have to say about the games they review/their final overall opinions, but I feel I've heard what they really feel about the game.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I trust critical reviews that make logical arguments. I don't particular support any one group that churns out reviews.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
shadow9d9 wrote:
I can't for the life of me understand how anyone can take any "review" seriously when the reviewer is churning out reviews for unreleased games and they are pretty much all positive.


I'm not commenting specifically about Feudum (which looks interesting, but using a Rahdo snippet rather than a review really put me off), but the above is a common misconception that I often see. There is a bias for unreleased games in that the designer is the one who often determines if the review/preview gets posted. And if it's negative, why post it? The game is being promoted at this point. Yes, that is an agenda. But it doesn't automatically imply that the positive reviews are dishonest. (I'm also not getting into the sticky discussion of paid previewers.) Once the game is out, you'll see a mix of more positive and negative reviews. Some previewers, like Rahdo, have even stated that they won't bother to cover a game unless they like it. Which is why so many of his videos appear to be so positive.

Like any review/preview, it's about critical thinking and analyzing what they have to say. If a reviewer's particular tastes lead you astray a few times, then you learn to ignore that one reviewer (or zig when they say to zag).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
lexifer wrote:
[q="Lowden025"]


Whose reviews do you generally trust?


"Trust" for me means that I can get a read on how they really feel about a game and have an idea how my opinion will match up with theirs.

Mark Bigney (allthegamesyoulikearebad)
Marnaudo.
Bart Brunscheen (armed-medic and the "Hamtag" crew)
Derek Case. (Singlehandedwarfare)
Ryan Metzier (Slaqr)
The Dice Tower crew.
Shut Up and Sit Down.
Dan King (GameBoyGeek)


I may disagree with with what these folks have to say about the games they review/their final overall opinions, but I feel I've heard what they really feel about the game.

That's a pretty good list and I'd add Joel Eddy (DriveThruReview) and Jeremy Salinas and David Waybright (Man vs. Meeple) to it as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
...
That's a pretty good list and I'd add Joel Eddy (DriveThruReview) and Jeremy Salinas and David Waybright (Man vs. Meeple) to it as well.


Yeah, I forgot to add Joel Eddy.
What I like about these reviewers is they will give a game a bad review.

I enjoy Man vs Meeple reviews but I take them with a grain of salt. You notice they have yet to do a review of a game they didn't like? Maybe I just can't read their nuances, but their reviews feel more like informercials to me these days.
I'm still waiting to see what they have to say about "Seafall" after their "unboxing" episode of the game several months back. I wonder if they ever got to it...started the game and stopped.... made it through and didn't like it..?

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:
...
That's a pretty good list and I'd add Joel Eddy (DriveThruReview) and Jeremy Salinas and David Waybright (Man vs. Meeple) to it as well.


Yeah, I forgot to add Joel Eddy.
What I like about these reviewers is they will give a game a bad review.

I enjoy Man vs Meeple reviews but I take them with a grain of salt. You notice they have yet to do a review of a game they didn't like? Maybe I just can't read their nuances, but their reviews feel more like informercials to me these days.
I'm still waiting to see what they have to say about "Seafall" after their "unboxing" episode of the game several months back. I wonder if they ever got to it...started the game and stopped.... made it through and didn't like it..?


Whenever a game is given a negative review on this site, people lose their marbles... They just can't handle it, which is why it is bad business for bigger named reviewers to do negative reviews. And the whole argument that they just don't review games they don't like makes no sense. They aren't giving reviews then. A review requires being critical and they are purposely avoiding or writing about a game that they'd have to be critical towards. They are nothing more than fluff pieces, heavily used by kickstarters to sway people. The whole thing is gross.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Themis Dakanalis
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
Game Design Theory Lover !!!
badge
Wild Board Gamer !!!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Feudum Board Game Playthrough, Part 1 - GamerNode Tabletop (Gameplay Runthrough): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVRu5cQOUUw
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
shadow9d9 wrote:

Whenever a game is given a negative review on this site, people lose their marbles... They just can't handle it, which is why it is bad business for bigger named reviewers to do negative reviews. And the whole argument that they just don't review games they don't like makes no sense. They aren't giving reviews then. A review requires being critical and they are purposely avoiding or writing about a game that they'd have to be critical towards. They are nothing more than fluff pieces, heavily used by kickstarters to sway people. ..


That's been my take on "professional" reviews for awhile now.
There are still some reviewers who are not afraid to give negative reviews.
I particularly enjoy Mark Bigney's reviews (Allthegamesyoulikearebad).
He goes into detail about what he thinks are the strong points and weak points of a game and gives a well reasoned conclusion.
I like several of the games he has given negative reviews to...but I appreciate the honesty and thoughtful deliberation of his reviews.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.