Popular Tags: [View All]
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's my problem.

At some point after receiving the 2.0 update materials, I did some sorting & organizing but (foolishly) didn't toss away the old/duplicates.

I also think I have a PnP copy of cards that I ordered before the Journeyman KS was announced.

Here's my dilemma:

I have about 2 sets of all the cards. I've looked at the contents in the original and 2.0 rules and still can't sort this out.

Can someone tell me which of the following needs to "stay" and what can get tossed?

Hero Cards: One set the border color on the left is uniform. One set has some cards with a black background.

Quest Cards: One set has the white card back with the gem. The other set has setup diagrams.

Monster Cards: One set has the Threat Range at bottom on dark background, the other higher up on red.

Item Cards: No apparent physical difference.

Is there a comprehensive card list or "trick" for determining 1.0 vs 2.0 on components?

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://megacongames.com/downloads/ has the 2.0 materials.
"Myth 2.0 Content - 49 MB" specifically shows you what the 2.0 cards look like so you could check with your cards.

Quick answers (but no guarantees):

Hero cards: 2.0 is the ones where Interrupts have a black column on the left.

Quest cards: 2.0 has setup diagrams.

Monster cards: 2.0 has threat range at the bottom on dark background.

Item cards: If I'm not mistaken, 2.0 has slightly larger font.

This geeklist might also help you: I'm new to Myth - What do I need to update?

And lastly, I recommend storing the 1.0 stuff separately (and labelled, so you know what it is) instead of throwing it away, in case you want to use it, or find out you mis-sorted something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
marble911 wrote:
Quest cards: 2.0 has setup diagrams.

These cards are now double-sided.

marble911 wrote:
Monster cards: 2.0 has threat range at the bottom on dark background.

These cards are now double-sided.

marble911 wrote:
And lastly, I recommend storing the 1.0 stuff separately (and labelled, so you know what it is) instead of throwing it away, in case you want to use it, or find out you mis-sorted something.

Good advice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, that was fun

I got everything consolidated. I used the PDF files from Megacon to make sure I was keeping the right cards.

I am REALLy disappointed in the 2.0 card quality. They are decidedly cheaper and washed out compared to the originals.

I'm thinking about doing a PrinterStudio copy of 'em all and just doing a "quality upgrade".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Callahan
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree on the cards,.... I'm hoping that we will eventually get a second printing of the base game through OGP like the expansions.

Those cards feel different, but man are the colors great!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:
I am REALLy disappointed in the 2.0 card quality. They are decidedly cheaper and washed out compared to the originals.

This is really unacceptable. They used the same printer as Myth 1.0. Either they paid for something that wasn't delivered or intentionally skimped on quality. shake

Edit - based on comments below, this "take" seems misguided. Sounds like card quality is on par with 1.0.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
I didn't really look, but I didn't notice a difference between the core 1.0 and 2.0 cards. I DID notice a difference in the expansion *tokens* - they went with a glossy linen finish that isn't present on the original *tokens* (or was a less glossy and much tighter linen pattern).

EDIT: Oh, and I had the 1.3 printouts from my printer in front of the 1.0 cards for a LONG time, so that's probably affecting my perceptions.

EDIT 2: Oops - corrected to be the tokens that are different, not the cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
I DID notice a difference in the two expansion cards - they went with a glossy linen finish that isn't present on the original cards (or was a less glossy and much tighter linen pattern).

So the hero cards for JM are distinctly different than the 2.0 hero cards for the same character?

If so, that's pretty disappointing. Yeah, the solution is to sleeve, but that's now almost mandatory if the cards are noticeably different. That's just poor execution to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Mistermannindy wrote:
rpvt wrote:
I DID notice a difference in the two expansion cards - they went with a glossy linen finish that isn't present on the original cards (or was a less glossy and much tighter linen pattern).

So the hero cards for JM are distinctly different than the 2.0 hero cards for the same character?

If so, that's pretty disappointing. Yeah, the solution is to sleeve, but that's now almost mandatory if the cards are noticeably different. That's just poor execution to me.

I had to go unsleeve my cards to check. So - the cards are the same quality, though I can tell a color difference between the 2.0 Acolyte cards and the JM cards. Not significant for me - I had to hold them up to the light to see them and the sleeve muted it farther for me.

So - I need to update my statement - the TOKENS have the different finish that makes them stand out. Sorry about that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm comparing the cards from the base game to the Journeyman 2.0 Update Cards.

The difference is night and day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:

That seems to be in direct conflict to Joe's experience. I wonder if you maybe got a bad batch somehow, James.

I'm leaving mine in shrink for the time being or I'd check myself to see if I could see any difference. whistle

Would a picture be able to capture the difference?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Mistermannindy wrote:
Rochambeaux wrote:

That seems to be in direct conflict to Joe's experience. I wonder if you maybe got a bad batch somehow, James.

I'm leaving mine in shrink for the time being or I'd check myself to see if I could see any difference. whistle

Would a picture be able to capture the difference?

I got rid of my 1.0 cards - the only cards I have left are the expansion heroes and those look the same to me. My 1.0 core recollections are just that, recollections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
My response/question was based on comparing 2.0 hero card quality to Journeyman hero cards.

Are people saying the quality difference between what was effectively wave1 of JM and wave2 of JM are markedly different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Price
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
If you're asking that of me:
* 2.0 to JM cards - they look the same, but may have slight color variations that I can notice, but have a hard time seeing that without bright light out of the sleeves.
* 1.0 to 2.0/JM cards - they seem the same to me, though I don't have the * 1.0 cards to check color. Quality of the 1.0 Expansion heroes seems equivalent of 2.0/JM cards.

The quality different I mention is really between the 1.0 tokens and the 2.0 tokens. The 2.0 are shiny and look like they have their equivalent of linen finish to me whereas the 1.0 are flat finish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
rpvt wrote:
If you're asking that of me:
* 2.0 to JM cards - they look the same, but may have slight color variations that I can notice, but have a hard time seeing that without bright light out of the sleeves.
* 1.0 to 2.0/JM cards - they seem the same to me, though I don't have the * 1.0 cards to check color. Quality of the 1.0 Expansion heroes seems equivalent of 2.0/JM cards.

The quality different I mention is really between the 1.0 tokens and the 2.0 tokens. The 2.0 are shiny and look like they have their equivalent of linen finish to me whereas the 1.0 are flat finish.

Not directed specifically at you, but you answered what I was asking.

I am really interested in opinions from folks saying there's a big difference in card quality. Just wondering where that's coming from and what specifically is causing angst.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Turner
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rochambeaux wrote:

Would also be interested in a picture of the difference - certainly I'm very happy with the cards I got, and the colour of the sleeves

(although oversized item sleeves and shiny treasure tokens are not quite so well received for me)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well I already chucked the 1.0 cards so I can't post pics.

I am in the process of creating a PrinterStudio layout of the 2.0 upgrade cards to order a new set.

I compared the card quality from my last PrinterStudio project to the 2.0 JM Upgrade cards and the PS are much nicer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You can look at the 2.0 cards on BGG and the Megacon site and then compare them to your cards to see which are which. That is what I did. The hard part is sorting out the quest cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
You can look at the 2.0 cards on BGG and the Megacon site and then compare them to your cards to see which are which. That is what I did. The hard part is sorting out the quest cards.

People might want to check out this list. Includes a section on what to do with the new quest cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Resner
United States
austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I stand corrected.

The cards I tossed out didn't make it from my home office wastebasket to the outside trash yet.

It turns out I was comparing the card quality between the following 3 sets of Hero Cards:

Version 1.0 Base game (retail)

Early Version 2 Patch cards Created at PrinterStudio

JM 2.0 Cards

The v1 and v2 from Megacon are pretty close in quality. But both absolutely suck when compared to the PS set. Color, readability, smooth card versus very grainy, etc..

Unfortunately the PS v2.0 must have been from an early mMgacon update as they do not match up to the latest 2.0 PDFs and the physical cards that came with JM.

So....I'm going to create my own, new 2.0 set on PS and run yet another copy. If anyone is interested I'll provide the link when done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could you take a picture or scan of one of the PrinterStudio cards next to its Megacon equivalent? I'd really like to see that awesome quality.

I didn't have any complaints about the base game card quality, not with 1.0 retail and not with the ones that came in the upgrade pack. Maybe you got a bad batch or something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.