Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I tried to take this game for a spin last night and ran into four questions:

1) what happens when you enter or move through a hex with shoals? I didn't see anything about it in the rules

1.5) what happens if you move onto an unexplored hex? I assume you would roll for the occupied hex? Do I need to assign someone to scan horizon to see what is on my hex?

2) When and how do you determine wind direction? When finding a large island you are supposed to use the adjacent hex in the direction of wind. Does this just mean 'roll a die and use the chart next to weather watch?

3) When assigning sailors to both movement and tacking will you take one hull damage regardless of weather conditions? If I am reading this correctly it means that during a storm there should be no reason to ever assign someone to tacking. You will be uncontrolled regardless, can assign one to movement to prevent one damage to hull, but get another damage no matter what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
xylem and phloem
msg tools
I played this last night and ended up making some changes partway through the game because I ran into many of the same issues.

I resolved them as follows:

1 - for shoals I decided that if you wanted to navigate THROUGH them, rather than around, there needed to be a sailor assigned to "scan horizon" so they could point out sandbars. If not I took 1 hull damage (you run aground on a sandbar).

1.5) I just rolled for the blank hex but then HAD to move there, so for instance had to move through shoals if that's what I rolled.

2) I mostly rolled for wind direction for large islands except for during fair weather when I assumed the wind was pushing me in the direction of the finish points, so the islands were always occupying a hex and the one directly to the left of it.

3) I revised the storm damage as follows: 1 damage if sailors assigned to tacking AND movement (something always breaks but they minimize the damage), 2 damage damage if only a sailor is assigned to movement (they are steering, but not well alone in a storm), and 3 damage if nobody is driving at all (no sailors assigned to movement at all).
Movement in a storm was the same - I just imagined that the more "hands on deck" the less damage should occur even if they couldn't control the direction they were traveling in.

One last addition I made (not related to your questions) - I rolled 1d6 for sailor wound severity (1-2 minor, 3-4 moderate, 5-6 major). They either had to rest for a corresponding number of turns, (1,2 or 3 respectively), or if you used 1 water, you could reduce the wound to only needing 1 rest turn to heal (or at least get them functional again). That way I had a choice about using water, or just letting them rest depending on weather conditions.

I really enjoyed this with the modifications above!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Melissa the Gnome
United States
West Allis
WI - Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question: So, this turn I was on an island and rolled a 2 for the natives. I have to leave the island at the end of the turn. However, I rolled Doldrums for the weather which means I can't move the next turn. So where do I go? Am I just in the water around the island?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laura Blachek
United States
charlotte hall
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indy418 wrote:
Another question: So, this turn I was on an island and rolled a 2 for the natives. I have to leave the island at the end of the turn. However, I rolled Doldrums for the weather which means I can't move the next turn. So where do I go? Am I just in the water around the island?

That seems thematic to me. And kinda funny imagining the crew and the natives staring at each other across the waves.

And thanks for the modifications you made, ploem. I will have to give it a shot with those.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.