Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Hey fellas,

I have some questions one dealing with Combat Movement Points and the other with Staff Points/Mode Change

Combat Movement Point Cost:

-It states that a phasing player may conduct an attack but will cost 10 MP to do so on the first attack. It will cost 5MP after.

-My question is how am I able to make a first attack on my enemy if I'm in HA (Hasty Attack) mode? HA only gives me 6MP.

-Let's say I attacked the enemy on my game turn and now my opponent goes and keeps his unit adjacent to my unit during his game turn. Now on the next game turn which is mine to do will it still cost me 10MP to attack the same unit i attack last turn?

Staff Points/Mode Change:

-I'm trying to see if i have this right.

-Let's say My Div Main Staff Points is 8, and my 1st Bde HQ is 4. Now my 1st Bde unit is in MD and I like to change it to TM. It says on the Mode chart i need 10 Staff points to do so. I have 12, i think, so am i able to change everyone mode in the 1st Bde?

-I also have Div Tac 2, Div Arty 2 do they matter and are they added to the staff points above???

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
claystone wrote:
Hey fellas,

I have some questions one dealing with Combat Movement Points and the other with Staff Points/Mode Change

-It states that a phasing player may conduct an attack but will cost 10 MP to do so on the first attack. It will cost 5MP after.

-My question is how am I able to make a first attack on my enemy if I'm in HA (Hasty Attack) mode? HA only gives me 6MP.

-Let's say I attacked the enemy on my game turn and now my opponent goes and keeps his unit adjacent to my unit during his game turn. Now on the next game turn which is mine to do will it still cost me 10MP to attack the same unit i attack last turn?

-Let's say My Div Main Staff Points is 8, and my 1st Bde HQ is 4. Now my 1st Bde unit is in MD and I like to change it to TM. It says on the Mode chart i need 10 Staff points to do so. I have 12, i think, so am i able to change everyone mode in the 1st Bde?

-I also have Div Tac 2, Div Arty 2 do they matter and are they added to the staff points above???

Thanks

Clay..clay ..clay. Keep reading. The next rule says 5mp for hasty or un prepared attack I think. You get a penalty . check the tables for that.

Staff stuff. I cant remember. I'll need to look at that for ya.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
hipshot wrote:
claystone wrote:
Hey fellas,

Thanks

Clay..clay ..clay. Keep reading. The next rule says 5mp for hasty or un prepared attack I think. You get a penalty . check the tables for that.

Staff stuff. I cant remember. I'll need to look at that for ya.

Thanks Kev
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Christensen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hasty Attack and Unprepared attack are different things. Unprepared gives the attack a penalty, but lowers the attack cost to 5.
It may be necessary to use a forced march to get the movement points needed.

I believe if you want to change two (1st Bde) units from MD to TM it would be 20 staff points. Roll on table 7.5 for each unit. A roll of 3..8 would be a success. Multiple tries are allow with possible fatigue ramifications.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
blake1776 wrote:
Hasty Attack and Unprepared attack are different things. Unprepared gives the attack a penalty, but lowers the attack cost to 5.

I believe if you want to change two (1st Bde) units from MD to TM it would be 20 staff points. Roll on table 7.5 for each unit. A roll of 3..8 would be a success. Multiple tries are allow with possible fatigue ramifications.

So to be clear, first question first.

1. So for me to use "Hasty Attack" i would need to use force march to gain the extra MP?
(Weird that the game gives us a mode that allows us to attack but doesn't give the mode the proper MP to make the attack with.)

2. So each "Unit" under the 1st Bde will cost (10) Staff Points to change their mode from MD to TM? So if I had four guys under the 1st Bde it would cost 40 staff points?

3. How does one ever change modes if all i have in staff points is 12? It seems i can only change 1 unit.

4. You mention rolling on the table. Do I have to roll? I thought I pay the staff points and i'm all good. If i don't have the points I'm shit out of luck.

Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Christensen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Force march or use an unprepared attack. It is all about trade offs: Combat Power/Fatigue/Movement/Ease of Changing Mode.

2. I think so.

3. It may take a while to change the mode of a whole brigade.

4. The table (7.5) is only used if trying to do mode changes that exceed the staff points available. Note that Signal CSP points can also be used to help with mode changes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Christensen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note a previous discussion on modes.

Others have expressed similar concerns.

Mode-Madness

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay Stone
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Hey Blake

Thanks for the help

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
claystone wrote:
blake1776 wrote:

So to be clear, first question first.

1. So for me to use "Hasty Attack" i would need to use force march to gain the extra MP?
(Weird that the game gives us a mode that allows us to attack but doesn't give the mode the proper MP to make the attack with.)

2. So each "Unit" under the 1st Bde will cost (10) Staff Points to change their mode from MD to TM? So if I had four guys under the 1st Bde it would cost 40 staff points?

3. How does one ever change modes if all i have in staff points is 12? It seems i can only change 1 unit.

4. You mention rolling on the table. Do I have to roll? I thought I pay the staff points and i'm all good. If i don't have the points I'm shit out of luck.

Thanks

ok...
I was quoting from memory. I know the difference between HA and unprepared attack sorry for any confusion.

You dont have to use Forced March, you can...you might want to...you might not.. If you are close enough to use HA ( i.e. within 1 MP of the enemy, then use an unprepared atk for 5MP you can do it. The problem you have is choosing the right mode for the right time.
Assuming you sit in Tac mode or God forbid Admin mode you get "fighting distance" then you change modes to attack. As Blake says its trade offs.

Part of the challenge of the game is being in right mode at right time while your enemy is not. Or you enemy ups stumps and moves out of range...

Staff points I popped the relevant section on the rules to you on FB. Happy to chat about that any time.

The mode madness post is a spurious argument if you look at when this was modelled what is modelling and why.

The super intel problem is an issue. I house ruled a fix for that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.