Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To me, it seems, community behind a game is one of the biggest factors in success, but it is also the hardest thing to build.

Does anyone have any tips for building a good following for your games?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Somerton
Australia
North Ryde - Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
Duplicitous!
badge
I don't play to win - I play for enjoyment and social interaction.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamey Stegmaier from Stonemaier Games has a blog in which he openly shares a lot of information around how to build a following.

Sorry, my work firewall blocks the links, but a google search should find it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JT Schiavo
United States
Frederick
MD
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gamelyn Games developed a lot of hype through a limited pnp contest before Tiny Epic Kingdoms hit Kickstarter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Kirk
United Kingdom
Barnsley
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
anomander64 wrote:
Jamey Stegmaier from Stonemaier Games has a blog in which he openly shares a lot of information around how to build a following.

Sorry, my work firewall blocks the links, but a google search should find it.

I've read all his articles but I'll reread that one, thanks.
crinaya wrote:
Gamelyn Games developed a lot of hype through a limited pnp contest before Tiny Epic Kingdoms hit Kickstarter.
that may be a good idea. Do you have the details of the contest? (can't get on their site at work)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Vestal
United States
Orland Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kirkatronics wrote:
To me, it seems, community behind a game is one of the biggest factors in success, but it is also the hardest thing to build.

Does anyone have any tips for building a good following for your games?

Try playing games with people at a couple local game stores. Lots of them have open game nights where you can get to know other players and even ask them to play your game. Often the game store people have pretty large networks you might be able to hook into if you hang out there. Also see if any of your friends have other gaming friends that you can start to network with.

Hang around BGG and other gaming forums that are on topics you enjoy and are relevant to your game. Post, help people out, ask questions, etc...

Are you good at blogging? Jamey Stegmaier seems to credit his blog as being a big reason he built community.

The one thing to keep in mind, as you probably already know, is that it is going to take time no matter what direction you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank West
England
Bristol
flag msg tools
designer
Lover and creator of immersive games, join the adventure!
badge
Lover and creator of immersive games, join the adventure!
mbmbmbmbmb
The trick is to work out something you can do regularly (as in, literally keep to a schedule) and then to do it without fail.

Maybe that's Twitter, a Podcast, YouTube channel, blog, going to local events or maybe something else but just keep doing it.

Over time people will come if you have something interesting to say/offer.

I suggest before you start any of these channels to write a list of what content you can provide. By this I mean writing 1 post or recording 2 videos is easy, but knowing what your 10th one will be is a challenge!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Chipman
United States
Murray
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is also something I've been thinking quite a bit about lately.

The big thing is talking to people about your game, and letting your excitement rub off onto them. People will fight for your idea, but they'll die for their own. Make them love your game so much they begin to personalize it. Just go to the Scythe Facebook page and listen to the people there. That game is their baby, even though it isn't their baby.

Just a few thoughts I've gathered as I'm considering this process for my own creation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.