Paths to Hell» Forums » General

Subject: Solitary Suitability Rating of 8? Vassal Module? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jimmy Williams
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I have no idea how you and Compass Games could have come up with a Solitary Suitability of 8? Five of the Scenarios have hidden minefields. For the other scenarios with the Simultaneous Execution game methodology, it is next to impossible to separate yourself mentally from your "plan" while making activations and responses to individual activations. Could you enlighten me?

I have not posted a rating, however, it would not be popular with you at this point. I find the game to have lots of promise and the rules and illustrations are great, but the game is good ONLY for face to face 2-player play. You could remedy this by generating a Vassal Module so that games could be played when you don't have an opponent sitting across the table from you. Do you have any plan to generate VASSAL MODULES for the War Storm Series (especially PTH)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There ARE Vassal modules available already for the two previous games in the series. Paths to Hell should be coming. The designers are never stingy about that.

As to the solitaire rating, it is really subjective by the designer. The hidden mines might be a problem to solitaire gameplay but so does ASL, which also has a very high solitaire rating. You can easily develop a house rule that a mine is called upon whenever you think that the other side would have thought that hex is a key one. Most of the time it is placed historically on the road, at junction or otherwise. The only thing you would have lost is a sense of suspense along troop movement. But I don't think it has much effect on enjoyment of the game system, which is the main focus of solitaire game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jimmy,

Sorry you feel and understand it that way. Like Lawrence comment it's a subjetive matter, the same as you can find with many games.

Any thing you need we will answer you and try to help you.

We talk with Tim MacCarron (he did the LBF40 VASSAL module) and post his answer in another post of this forum:
Quote:

Tim has sent a new email letting me know he can make it but the best he could do would be in Jan or Feb time frame. So are good news, will have to wait a bit but that's all.

Best
Niko
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Williams
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
Thanks for your responses.

For Solitary play, Scenarios #2,#6,#8,& #9 are basically out due to minefields. Hard to play solitary when you know where they are.

I set up Scenario #1 to play solitary and was frustrated by the fact that when I shifted from the German (attacker) activation and actions to the Russian defender, I was fully aware of my German attack strategy.

Perhaps if you included a standard defender setup for the potential playable solitary scenarios, the game would be more fun. There is too much freedom for defender setup as it is.

I love the rules and illustrations for a 2-player game. That said, it is too fast moving with the game system to play by email (I think) and without someone sitting across a table or a Vassal Module now, I will just have to wait until February, I guess.

I would be willing to try a PBEM game if someone on this forum would like to try one. My email is jimwwms@aim.com.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ADDA Marc
France
flag msg tools
I suppose you will have to wait for Alone in the storm.

Marc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Eskubi
Spain
Bilbao
Vizcaya
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Still can play alone like do many customers.

Better to "Alone in the Storm"!

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgameexpansion/186822/alon...

Best
Niko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.