17 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: Gamblers Chest Speculation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A J
msg tools
mbmbmb
So it kind of dawned on me, the Gambler's Chest is a box full of things. It's worth $100 which is considerable when you take into account the added discount from the Kickstarter.

The Chest also has a picture of something on the front; a creepy dude with two mouths holding a dice. It's not quite as fleshed out as other expansions or monster pictures (think the main box art) but it's definitely something.

This got me thinking, is the Gambler a monster? Is it a higher-power in the world of Kingdom Death and will it be an actual expansion pack within the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
sam newman

doncaster
south yorkshire
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the gambler features in the dragon king expansion along with the goblin. Basically you can gain a star sign sort of mark and 1 of those is the gambler. Whomever he is i assume he is some sort of demigod similar to the goblin.

also i think there is a settlement event were the survivors meet the gambler but i could be wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hellena Handbasket
United States
State College
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a hunt event where you meet the gambler. Basically you can roll dice that might kill you over and over for a chance to improve your characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Salmela
Finland
flag msg tools
The same picture of the gambler is also featured on the game's luck tokens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orion Free
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Styfen wrote:
Feeth wrote:
This got me thinking, is the Gambler a monster? Is it a higher-power in the world of Kingdom Death and will it be an actual expansion pack within the box?

The Gambler is one of the Entities. Pretty much above the level of a god. He's most like an aspect of Nyarlathotep, and he might actually be one. He's certainly as prone to interfering with mortals as much as Nyarlathotep.

If you want a rough idea of power.

Survivor < White Lion < Phoenix < Kingsman < The Hand < The King < The Scribe < Entities

He's multiple orders of magnitude above most of the creatures you see in the game.

Sounds like Oponn!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael B
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
orionstein wrote:
Styfen wrote:
Feeth wrote:

The Gambler is one of the Entities. Pretty much above the level of a god. He's most like an aspect of Nyarlathotep, and he might actually be one. He's certainly as prone to interfering with mortals as much as Nyarlathotep.

If you want a rough idea of power.

Survivor < White Lion < Phoenix < Kingsman < The Hand < The King < The Scribe < Entities

He's multiple orders of magnitude above most of the creatures you see in the game.

Sounds like Oponn!
I like that I know what you're talking about, but are you Malazan or... Dammit, I've only read the first book and I wasn't engaged enough for it to stick completely. Still gonna read the other 9, after I finish Black Prism.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitry aka ventzlav
Ukraine
Kiev
flag msg tools
mbmb
And now Adam added Lion Armor Female Survivor pin-up with a twilight sword.
And also Sci-fi Aya promo that has two gear cards. And I believe they are non-canon. Probably the knife\sword and might be the twilight cloak?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greasy Reese
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jasiven wrote:
orionstein wrote:
Sounds like Oponn!
I like that I know what you're talking about, but are you Malazan or... Dammit, I've only read the first book and I wasn't engaged enough for it to stick completely. Still gonna read the other 9, after I finish Black Prism.

Yeah Malazan! I recently finished book 7, and am looking forward to continuing. Super awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMO the Gamblers Chest is an absolute steal. I bet anyone their pledge that those items in the chest will show up for retail in the shop piecemeal and cost $26 a piece. For $100 I'm getting at least 3 miniatures; 2 of which have gameplay content.

I bet the chest has one or two "big" items as well. I'm betting roll 1, 100, 99, or 98.

So glad I pledged for the chest.

P.S. It helps I'm a minis guy so I like the reveals of "just a White Fur armored mini." Especially when its emulating Heman .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Canning
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Stand By, Ready
badge
Wolkenritter
mbmbmbmbmb
Epidemius wrote:
I bet the chest has one or two "big" items as well. I'm betting roll 1, 100, 99, or 98.

Adam has said there are three major items in there IIRC.

And the alternative Fighting arts/XP system isn't insignificant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dahak wrote:
Epidemius wrote:

Adam has said there are three major items in there IIRC.

And the alternative Fighting arts/XP system isn't insignificant.

I enjoy the small additions too. Even if it is just a fancy mini. The fighting art system is indeed a nice and welcome tweak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
msg tools
mbmbmb
The thing that got me thinking it might contain some form of Gambler Expansion is because of *Spoiler Ahead* Gold Smoke Knight having a hunt-track event and then seeing a release.

But it definitely is coming across as value for money already.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emmit Svenson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mb
Styfen wrote:
... The Scribe < Entities

I was under the impression that the Scribe was the Entity of the Land that KD:M takes place in, or perhaps co-entity with the Sculptor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Martin
msg tools
Adam "cheated" in the last roll saying it was too soon to reveal what the original roll was, 46, I think? Maybe this has something to do with the Gambler itself?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
emmit svenson wrote:
Styfen wrote:
... The Scribe < Entities

I was under the impression that the Scribe was the Entity of the Land that KD:M takes place in, or perhaps co-entity with the Sculptor.

isn't the Sculptor just some weirdo that walks the land and presses its face against everything? I think my 2yo boy went through the Sculptor phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A J
msg tools
mbmbmb
KaneKalos wrote:
Adam "cheated" in the last roll saying it was too soon to reveal what the original roll was, 46, I think? Maybe this has something to do with the Gambler itself?

I was just thinking about this! I haven't got the rulebook to hand but I bet there's something special for the Gambler's hunt event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Holloway
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
Wicked hunt event as it turns out. Only had to roll a 2+ d10 to survive,but lost two survivors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.