Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
34 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Feudum» Forums » General

Subject: Kickstarter buzz: Am I the only one who hasn't fallen in love with this game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Raven, both friend and foe tap-tap-tapped upon my e-mail door and beguiled my sad fancy into smiling; yet another new game seeks attention there, "Feudum" this time, he croaked. The ebony bird, both thief and wise counsel snatched the lenses from my eyes so that now, oh WOW, I can clearly see where once I was blind and led astray many, many times before.

"So long Kickstarter", quoth the Raven in his flight, "Nevermore, nevermore".

Desperate thoughts consoled my mind but gave the fowl's black heart a flutter, "Perhaps I'll buy it in a store" was the final straw I grabbed; then my friend croaked out to fools again, "NO, not there nor anywhere,,, it is finished henceforth". Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore".

,,, and so perhaps finally, once and for all I must agree!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peters
msg tools
Grim Norsefury wrote:

Graham Chapman said as King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail: "On second thought , let’s not go to Camelot. ‘Tis a silly place." Kickstarter now to me is Camelot, and we all get to decide whether to go there or to avoid it, using the knowledge and experience we have of the place. I'll not be going to Camelot or to Kickstarter any time soon,,,

Dear Friend,

I know you are not a fan of Kickstarter campaigns having being ripped off recently. I understand if your wounds are lined with salt perhaps so your raven. I wish you a speedy recovery until you are ready to visit the wonders of this beautiful land again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Amos
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stealth Kingdon Death: Monster thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there really a need to post multiple threads to say you don't like a game? I'm not backing Kingdom Death: Monster or Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress, but I haven't posted threads there asking what all the "hype" is about.

More than 1,800 backers have tripled the pledge goal less than half way through the campaign. You can rest easy knowing that it will be just fine without you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeropete wrote:
Grim Norsefury wrote:

Graham Chapman said as King Arthur in Monty Python and the Holy Grail: "On second thought , let’s not go to Camelot. ‘Tis a silly place." Kickstarter now to me is Camelot, and we all get to decide whether to go there or to avoid it, using the knowledge and experience we have of the place. I'll not be going to Camelot or to Kickstarter any time soon,,,

Dear Friend,

I know you are not a fan of Kickstarter campaigns having being ripped off recently. I understand if your wounds are lined with salt perhaps so your raven. I wish you a speedy recovery until you are ready to visit the wonders of this beautiful land again.

Dear Friend,

Kickstarter is indeed a place of beauty and wonder! There's many a bent shelf in my home and in my mind from the boxes of good memories I've gotten there, but sadly now the scales have fallen from my eyes. Should I ever find myself returning there I hope that your happy, smiling face is the first thing I see! Take good care,,,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Gilbertson
United States
Duluth
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had way more "Didn't buy" than "buyer's" remorse in my life
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Is there really a need to post multiple threads to say you don't like a game? I'm not backing Kingdom Death: Monster or Shadows of Brimstone: Forbidden Fortress, but I haven't posted threads there asking what all the "hype" is about.

More than 1,800 backers have tripled the pledge goal less than half way through the campaign. You can rest easy knowing that it will be just fine without you.

I don't know anything about the games you refer to in your own comment, just asking if I'm missing out on something with the "Feudum" frenzy I see. As usual, I've read everything there is on BGG and Kickstarter, watched all the videos about the game too. I don't want to give myself another "coulda-woulda-shoulda, why the heck didn't I back it" burning sense of anti-buyer's remorse.

Hope BGG remains a place where gamers can have and express different opinions on things game related, a friendly? place to find out what all the hub-bub's about with any hot new games. This forum would be of little use if "shut-up and go away" was all we could expect from it. If you have a better way, please let me know, Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally, I backed it because it looked like a fine example of a city-building, area control, resource conversion euro with just a bit of combat thrown in. The whole guild "game within the game" seems fun too. One doesn't need the bells and whistles, and I think the $59 level is a fair price point for something this ambitious.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damian White
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I initially held off backing this, as I didn't want to get swept away by the hype. A lot of reviewers have been talking about the game in recent weeks, but none of them appeared to have actually played it. I prefer heavier games - Arkwright, Trickerion, Brass, 18xx, Lacerda - so the complexity of so many moving parts appealed to me, but especially so with a new, untried designer, a game needs more than a bunch of interesting mechanics and a novel look to earn my tithe.

I keenly awaiting the oft-referenced half-hour animated rules explanation/walkthough, and cued it up as soon as it landed last week. To be honest, I thought it did a poor job of explaining how all those rules intermeshed. It ain't a simple rules set, so a light [-hearted] overview that touched on the many rules without really explaining them was always going to make it seem more convoluted, not less so.

Then I watched Undead Viking's review. And while it isn't as polished as the animated video, it does a far better job of explaining how all those rules work together. It gave a real sense of the many mechanisms acting synergistically - area control elements on the main board influence your Guild dominance, which in turn allows you to control parts of the flow of goods - to really expand the decision space, suggesting a fair degree of strategic depth.

I happily backed it the next day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim Norsefury wrote:
MAJBrown22 wrote:

I don't know anything about the games you refer to in your own comment, just asking if I'm missing out on something with the "Feudum" frenzy I see. As usual, I've read everything there is on BGG and Kickstarter, watched all the videos about the game too. I don't want to give myself another "coulda-woulda-shoulda, why the heck didn't I back it" burning sense of anti-buyer's remorse.

Hope BGG remains a place where gamers can have and express different opinions on things game related, a friendly? place to find out what all the hub-bub's about with any hot new games. This forum would be of little use if "shut-up and go away" was all we could expect from it. If you have a better way, please let me know, Thanks!

In that case, you have my apologies. I took your post as an attempt at trolling as two very similar threads appeared almost simultaneously.

What first drew me in was the art. I saw Rahdo mention it on his most anticipated Geeklist and was instantly enamored with the look. The hand-carved monsters were just icing on the cake.

What sold the game for me though, was the enticing heavy mix of several mechanisms that I enjoy with a unique, fun theme. I'm a fan of Vital Lacerda and like how he mixes theme into his euro games. Feudum is a great example of these thematic euros and has the best of both worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WJ C
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
lots of hype = greater expectation = even greater chance of failure
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
"No single raindrop believes it is to blame for the flood."
badge
Small talk (noun): insincere questions and dishonest answers.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also not in love with it. I saw the competition on the front page, clicked thru to the game, saw the Crumbesque cover art, and closed the competition tab. Don't even want this for free.

First Legendary encounters: Firefly, and now this - it seems the board gaming community's art taste is moving in a different direction from mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IamJacksUsername wrote:
I'm also not in love with it. I saw the competition on the front page, clicked thru to the game, saw the Crumbesque cover art, and closed the competition tab. Don't even want this for free.

First Legendary encounters: Firefly, and now this - it seems the board gaming community's art taste is moving in a different direction from mine.

Yeah, I guess art is in the eye of the beholder. This style is very unique, which tends to generate some love/hate reactions. Inis has a similar situation. I personally can't stand its look, but it's getting generally positive reviews for its art style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IamJacksUsername wrote:

Don't you dare lump this in with Legendary: Firefly. The art in that game is simply horrifically bad, whereas the art for Feudum is wonderfully executed in a quirky, unusual style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Yeah, I guess art is in the eye of the beholder. This style is [...] unique, which tends to generate some love/hate reactions. Inis has a similar situation. I personally can't stand its look, but it's getting generally positive reviews for its art style.

Yeah, after hearing good things of Inis, the cover alone made me stop looking any further. I don't even know if the rest of the game's art is very different.

I can ignore a book's ugly cover, but for something like a game where the art and graphic design is so important in using the thing, I'll just skip the whole game when I see that the powers-that-be think art like that is a good idea.

Of the games I own, I don't like Battleline's art. Trains' board, and some of the Dominion cards, and many of Legendary encounters: Alien's are just badly drawn.

I'm sure there are great games with art I happen not to like, but I don't have to settle by playing any of them in the age of beautiful stuff like 7 wonders and CO2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MentatYP wrote:
Don't you dare lump this in with Legendary: Firefly. The art in that game is simply horrifically bad, whereas the art for Feudum is wonderfully executed in a quirky, unusual style.

I don't know much about art, but to me both are too ugly to play. De Kooning's work is just ugly to me, the same way most blind 2 year-olds' paintings are just ugly to me - eventho I'm sure De Kooning's may be considered wonderful by experts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Gutcher
Canada
flag msg tools
I really enjoy the whimsical art in this game. I love boardgames with good art, and to me good art is something unique. Game art which is clearly the creation of an individual, where the designer allows the boardgame to become their canvas always seem to delight me more than say 7 wonders which has 'generic graphics studio 2' written all over it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Durst
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not necessarily a fan of the art at first glance. However, even great games can have less than stellar art (looking lovingly at you Nations). I seem to be a minority of backers in that I'm backing IN SPITE of the art which is "meh", though I do find it colorful. If the game is good, I'm sure the art will grow on me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander McKinney
United States
Fort Lauderdale
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The more I look at the art, the more it draws me in. I'm not enamored with the appearance of all of the guilds, but the rest of it is striking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kunter Tätte
Estonia
Tartu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
lexifer wrote:
The more I look at the art, the more it draws me in. I'm not enamored with the appearance of all of the guilds, but the rest of it is striking.

I also find the art to be brilliant and this is the only reason why I have been keeping my eye on this game for a long time now. I would probably back it just for the art and good faith if the shipping wasn't so darn expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Peters
msg tools
https://www.reddit.com/r/boardgames/comments/5ekqd1/feudum_c...

provides insights the criticism levied against Feudom. Most of these prolly from haters. If a major reviewer like Dice Tower actually gives a good review, it would lend more credibility then those viking guys who has given the gaming community to doubt their conflict of interests when promoting games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Love Feudum's look. It's vibrant, but doesn't take itself too seriously. Just proof different people like different things. (I also like Inis' art, though it is quite gaudy. The tiles on the other hand, are ugly and bland.)

More controversially, Food Chain Magnate's elegant artistic simplicity is a thing of beauty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WJ C
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Love Feudum's look. It's vibrant, but doesn't take itself too seriously. Just proof different people like different things. (I also like Inis' art, though it is quite gaudy. The tiles on the other hand, are ugly and bland.)

More controversially, Food Chain Magnate's elegant artistic simplicity is a thing of beauty.

everyone is just basing their judgement of the game on the nice art. i mean the guy is not a known designer, there's nothing to judge the mechanics and the game play on. it looks nice in the fancy videos but who knows who it will actually play. i would much rather back Lisboa than this, at least I know what I'm getting with Lisboa. with this, all you get is some nice art and the Undead Viking's approval...which means absolutely nothing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Amos
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark has provided the rules for the game. Plenty of other Kickstarters haven't even done that.

Of course, Mark isn't a known designer. That's why he is on Kickstarter trying to fund he project. Frankly, the known designers don't need Kickstarter, and Lisboa (which I have also backed) is definitely one that doesn't need Kickstarter to produce the game.

Frankly, I don't get the hate for this game? There are plenty of Kickstarter projects that are started every day like this one.

It's a heavier game that's open ended with some opportunities for player interaction with art that some people appreciate. For some of us that's enough to pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ruazn2 wrote:
C3Gaming wrote:

everyone is just basing their judgement of the game on the nice art. i mean the guy is not a known designer, there's nothing to judge the mechanics and the game play on. it looks nice in the fancy videos but who knows who it will actually play. i would much rather back Lisboa than this, at least I know what I'm getting with Lisboa. with this, all you get is some nice art and the Undead Viking's approval...which means absolutely nothing.

Pretty bold statement, especially since all the folks who've played it have raved about the mechanics and gameplay. The art definitely caught my eye, but that's a distant second to gameplay in reasons for my backing it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
ruazn2 wrote:
C3Gaming wrote:

Pretty bold statement, especially since all the folks who've played it have raved about the mechanics and gameplay. The art definitely caught my eye, but that'S a distant second to gameplay in reasons for my backing it.

I haven't played it obviously, but I backed it in spite of the art. I don't care for the style at all, but the mechanics looked solid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.