13 Posts

Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » General

Subject: Mage Knight Mat Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
saul oliveira
msg tools

I need your advice:

I am making a Mat for the game. A3 because is much cheaper to print and plastify.

Here it is so far.

Since I didn´t play the game yet, do you miss something or would you reorganize any element?

Best Regards
Saul
Spain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Honore
France
Berzé la ville
flag msg tools
mb
Well I would advise you to play the game before. This game is huge.

The play area is way too small I think. After some games you won't bother much with sills description cards.
I always put my discard away from my play area.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see anything 100% essential, but here's a few things to keep in mind:

Bonds of Loyalty (Norowas skill) and Banner of Command (Lost Legion artifact) can result in up to two more units. Banner of Command doesn't need a command token space.

Circlet of Proficiency (Lost Legion artifact) can result in one more skill.

The play area is probably too small.

I appreciate that the number of units and the play area size may be impossible to resolve on an A3 sheet.

I would definitely try playing the game on a simple A3 mockup first before printing a final version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
saul oliveira
msg tools
mmmm...interesting

don´t undersstand " appreciate that the number of units and the play area size may be impossible to resolve on an A3 sheet". Maybe is my english sorry.

- I could play the discard pile outside and make the Play Area bigger so I can at least keep to columns of cards properly and confortable.

- Or I can put the Play Area outside and take that space for something else, but for what actually?.

I did not mention it is for Solo Play only

Thanks guys
Saul
Spain
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
cinesos77 wrote:
don´t undersstand " appreciate that the number of units and the play area size may be impossible to resolve on an A3 sheet". Maybe is my english sorry.

I only meant that it may be impossible (or undesirable) to make space for 7 units, 6 skills, and a functional play area on an A3 sheet. You'll have to make some compromises somewhere.

I think your idea of having the play area off the mat may be a good one. For example - 6 unit spaces across the top and rearrange everything else to make best use of the remaining space. If you have a lot of excess space, you can make a generic space for "everything else", which you can use for expansion content (Banner of Command, Krang puppet tokens, Shades of Tezla rewards...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
saul oliveira
msg tools

Trying some versions: Play Area Off and another one bigger than A3.

Also must take into account that I need it now basically to help me with the setup and everything in the first times. When I reach the 6º Unit and the 6º skill maybe I don't need the mat any more.

I also want to mat the area for the offers and the rest so I put the mats and see where everything must go in a second.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe swap the Discard and Play Area spaces, and have the Play Area space extend off to the right of the board. Some turns could fit on the board, most will extend off.

Maybe give the skill tokens a bit more space around and between each. I like to rotate mine to indicate I used them (ones that are not flipped for the round).

Maybe add a trophy area for monsters killed (for those who like to hold onto their kills for bragging rights :-)

Not used often, but a "Trashed card" area could also be occasionally used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
saul oliveira
msg tools

I made this two:

A player mat where I removed the player area, under the concept that it would serve to faster the set up and the player area could be anywhere off the board. The space between Deed Deck and Discard Pile I left it like that because i prefer the 2 piles to be separated. Leave the options for a 6º and 7º unit and 6º skill out since i think it will take some time for me to reach that.

A common mat to speed up the setup, mostly for beginners and basically for up to 2 players, because of the space for unit offers.

Any ideas, pros and contras...

Cheers
Saul

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't had a chance to measured it yet, but does an laminated A3 playmat fit into the box?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
kiloforce wrote:
I haven't had a chance to measured it yet, but does an laminated A3 playmat fit into the box?

A3 is 297 x 420 mm

I just measured the box. It is a little more than 240 mm x 360 mm, so no, the playmat will not fit into the box.

An A4 (210 x 297 mm) playmat would though. Just a thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
saul oliveira
msg tools
I printed this two at home in A4 pieces and then laminated then separately and put then together with tape in the back so they can fold and fit in the box. It was a cheaper option than print them outside in a bigger size. I'm quite happy, is quite functional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikael Soderhus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My experience: play space is broad, not deep.
Deepness for me = two cards
Broadness = can be substantial if counting play areas. City fights will Never fit the space below the units.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruz Reuben
msg tools
The space of mana tokens is the place for crystals right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.