$5.00
$15.00
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Another poster (can't find it now) posted, in effect, to not think of AP's as activating one unit, but rather as having 7 AP's available for any and all units on the board to use until those AP points are used up.

ie, I activate my AP pool of 7 points. I use some to move a unit on one side of the board. Next action I can draw from the remainder of AP points left to activate a different unit on the other side of the board. This goes on...activating different units, or one I activated earlier from the same pool, till the pool is used up at which point all the units that partook of that initial AP pool are flipped to spent.

I understand about the various caveats...using CAP's here and there, "Opportunity Actions", card actions, but the bottom line is you can keep using that initial 7 AP activation pool till it is used up, then activate another pool of 7 units if you have any "fresh" units available to do so.

The way the rules are presented threw me at first. They got me thinking along the lines of the 7 AP's which were activated belong to just that unit that "activated" them.

Rule 3.0 Unit (AP) Action's describes things like;

1)activating "a" unit,

2)interspersing "an activated" unit's AP actions with command and card actions,

3)"interspersing" "an" activated unit's AP actions with opportunity, command and card actions taken by "other" units, and

4) that "at the beginning of his turn, a player may mark an active unit as spent in order to immediately activate and use a "different" unit, The green Unit AP track is again set to 7 AP points and this new unit may now take an action.....in all cases, no more than one unit may be activated by a player at a time."

All this lead me to believe that if I want to spend AP points to do something with a unit, and there was another unit elsewhere on the board that was still currently "activated" (ie, still using it's alloted 7 AP points) I had to flip that first unit to "spent", sacrificing it's unused AP points, before "activating" the new unit and IT'S 7 AP points.

Not so! I could just jump over to use the new unit-fueling it with the already activated AP pool-and not have to "spend/flip" the original unit!!

(Yes, there is a small note re; "exception-Shared Activations 9.0 noted in parenthesis in this rule section, but when first reading the rules I went right over it.)

When teaching the game to others, I think I will try to avoid giving the impression that a "single unit is activated" and go with "you have a pool of 7 AP points that ANY of your units can draw from" and teach from that direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danick Cloutier
Canada
St-Fabien
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A Unit is activated an receive a pool of 7 Action Points. But any units can use point(s) from the activated unit's pool.

This rule (shared activation) is sometimes/many times overlooked.

Note that you dont activate a pool of 7APs. You activate a unit who then receive 7APs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Easier for me to approach it from the other end.

I think of it as the AP "pool" is an off map regional supply depot with only so much material it can distribute to it's troops. It can send it's supplies to a single unit, or multiple different units..but once the depot is used up, all those units are now without supply and "spent".(Except for CAP's, cards and "opportunity" actions, which I think of as special special supply allocations directly from a main HQ depot.)

If units are all in the same area (next to each other or on the same hex) then it is more economical for the supply depot to get them their supplies...so they all can share the same AP "action". If separate, it costs more resources for the depot to transport it's supplies to the different areas...hence, using more AP points.

"Depots" can be set up sequently...with new ones "activating" as long there is an un-spent unit to supply. Once all the units are "spent", no more "depots" are "activated" (receive THEIR supplies from main HQ) till the new round starts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lowden025 wrote:
Another poster (can't find it now) posted, in effect, to not think of AP's as activating one unit, but rather as having 7 AP's available for any and all units on the board to use until those AP points are used up.

ie, I activate my AP pool of 7 points. I use some to move a unit on one side of the board. Next action I can draw from the remainder of AP points left to activate a different unit on the other side of the board. This goes on...activating different units, or one I activated earlier from the same pool, till the pool is used up at which point all the units that partook of that initial AP pool are flipped to spent.

I understand about the various caveats...using CAP's here and there, "Opportunity Actions", card actions, but the bottom line is you can keep using that initial 7 AP activation pool till it is used up, then activate another pool of 7 units if you have any "fresh" units available to do so.

The way the rules are presented threw me at first. They got me thinking along the lines of the 7 AP's which were activated belong to just that unit that "activated" them.

Rule 3.0 Unit (AP) Action's describes things like;

1)activating "a" unit,

2)interspersing "an activated" unit's AP actions with command and card actions,

3)"interspersing" "an" activated unit's AP actions with opportunity, command and card actions taken by "other" units, and

4) that "at the beginning of his turn, a player may mark an active unit as spent in order to immediately activate and use a "different" unit, The green Unit AP track is again set to 7 AP points and this new unit may now take an action.....in all cases, no more than one unit may be activated by a player at a time."

All this lead me to believe that if I want to spend AP points to do something with a unit, and there was another unit elsewhere on the board that was still currently "activated" (ie, still using it's alloted 7 AP points) I had to flip that first unit to "spent", sacrificing it's unused AP points, before "activating" the new unit and IT'S 7 AP points.

Not so! I could just jump over to use the new unit-fueling it with the already activated AP pool-and not have to "spend/flip" the original unit!!

(Yes, there is a small note re; "exception-Shared Activations 9.0 noted in parenthesis in this rule section, but when first reading the rules I went right over it.)

When teaching the game to others, I think I will try to avoid giving the impression that a "single unit is activated" and go with "you have a pool of 7 AP points that ANY of your units can draw from" and teach from that direction.

But once those 7 aps are used up, ALL the units that used any of them are now exhausted. So yes, 7 APs can be used to order three units, but you're forfeiting 14 APs by doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Professor X wrote:

But once those 7 aps are used up, ALL the units that used any of them are now exhausted. So yes, 7 APs can be used to order three units, but you're forfeiting 14 APs by doing so.

Oh yeah, I know that.
I'm not saying one SHOULD do that, just that they CAN.
My issue was on first reading the rules I came away with the impression only one unit can use the 7 point AP allocation, and if you wanted to use another unit, you had to flip the first unit and dump any unused AP's.
Even when I read the section about shared AP's it didn't quite sink in.
Not until coming across that other comment re; thinking about AP's as activating for the whole board and not specifically a single unit did it click.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.