A Feast for Odin» Forums » General

Subject: Bosporus Traveler theme question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christof
Germany
Hirschberg
flag msg tools
I played AFfO for the first time today. I had the profession card "Bosporus Traveler". I understand how it works mechanically, but since I am always very much interested in theme, I like to understand things thematically, too. Being able to buy rare goods makes sense for a merchant who's traveling to the Bosporus (the gate to the orient), but what has that to do with gaining new cattle? Why is the Bosporus Traveler able to buy these goods whenever he gets a new cow? What am I missing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Food for the journey? Leather to trade?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Johansson
Sweden
Järfälla
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Cattle trade" could be an euphemism, a substitution of a political incorrect subject. Compare with Five Tribes, and with Raiders of the North Sea. In these games Fakirs and Livestock are used as a convenience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Ancalagonthe black wrote:
I played AFfO for the first time today. I had the profession card "Bosporus Traveler". I understand how it works mechanically, but since I am always very much interested in theme, I like to understand things thematically, too. Being able to buy rare goods makes sense for a merchant who's traveling to the Bosporus (the gate to the orient), but what has that to do with gaining new cattle? Why is the Bosporus Traveler able to buy these goods whenever he gets a new cow? What am I missing?

Would't cattle be an indication of wealth, useful for the traveler to trade for stuff, or sell for money and buy that rare stuff?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theodore Jones
msg tools
Wikipedia says:

"The original name of the channel comes from an Anglicization of the Ancient Greek Βόσπορος (Bosporos), which was folk-etymologized[citation needed] as βοὸς πόρος, i.e. "cattle strait" (or "Ox-ford"[2]), from the genitive of bous βοῦς "ox, cattle" + poros πόρος "passage", thus meaning "cattle-passage", or "cow passage".[3] This is in reference to the mythological story of Io, who was transformed into a cow, and was subsequently condemned to wander the Earth until she crossed the Bosphorus, where she met the Titan Prometheus, who comforted Io with the information that she would be restored to human form by Zeus and become the ancestress of the greatest of all heroes, Heracles (Hercules)."

So it's a bit of a joke.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.