Dictionary.com wrote:
Worst: adjective
bad or ill in the highest, greatest, or most extreme degree;
most faulty, unsatisfactory, or objectionable;
most unfavorable or injurious;
in the poorest condition;
most unpleasant, unattractive, or disagreeable;
most lacking in skill; least skilled

Geekdom, please forgive me, for I have sinned.

What is about to follow is a very fast summary (read: list of excuses) of what is the Worst game of Scythe I have ever played, and what I believe to be the worst game of scythe ever played, or will ever be played in a slightly competitive manner.

Before I begin, could you please answer the following questions to yourself...
Quote:

1) What was the worst game of Scythe you played?
2) What was the worst game of Scythe you experienced someone else have?
3) What were the terrible decisions made in those games?
4) At what score would you consider someone to be worse than a bunch of monkeys at a typewriter?

Ok, so let's begin.

It was Sunday afternoon, and I had a board game itch to scratch. I wanted to play some scythe on tabletop simulator, and was able to find 1 witness to the slaughter other player. They didn't play before, and I wasn't quite wanting to try 2 player...so I decided to use the semi-official variant and use 2 automas and make this a 2v2 game. So onto the servers we go. I get industrial and blue, and my partner got mechanical and black. The AI were randomly decided to be white and yellow, yellow being easy and white being normal. At first I thought "Well, this kinda sucks since I am at the top of the board and therefore lose any ties, but that's not that big of a deal at all, right?"

You know the answer to that question already.

So we begin. My objective cards and personal desires led me to a high popularity, low unit count strategy. I was at reasonable power levels and though I didn't have any mechs, I was focused more on other things instead of expanding, in fact...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I never got a riverwalk-esque ability at all. My character stayed on it's starting island the whole game, and I never built a mech. (The latter was on purpose, the former not so much.)

Now, with a multiplayer game, this would be good enough for things to be quite alright. But this game has AI. But the AI isn't so broken so as to break that up, right?

My combat card drawing abilities are, as expected, lack-luster, with 3 two's early on. I realize fighting is hopefully not in my future. My white neighbor begins to string a lot of "gain 3-4 power" cards in a row. I now REALLY know fighting is hopefully not in my future.

I focus on my little island, and just peacefully let the AI have the middle of the board. My fellow human is willing to scrap up a bit more with the bots, especially since she's closer to yellow, who is far less militaristic.

And then...white draws the attack card. The first stone falls...
Quote:
Me: Well...he can attack either one of us. First tiebreaker is number of units, that's not enough.
Black: What's the next one?
Me: Well...let me check...it's...factory, but equidistant so...reading order.
Black: So you're the one that needs to deal with the AI with 14 power and 5 cards.
Me:...Yep.
Black: Have Fun![q]

With my weak hand, I punt the first one, and he uses 7 power and no cards. I draw a 3 (Improvements!) He then regains 3 of it. Next turn he mech moves onto the 2nd space on my island (which is empty)...and gains 4 power.

[q]
Me: So...he's still at 14 power. And Still at 5 cards.
Black: Good thing that's not my problem anymore
Me: It's okay, there can't be THAT many attacks in this deck.

...White's next turn...attack.

I decide, shamefully and painfully, to punt again. This time he uses 2 attack cards on the way there. My friend attempts to attack again (since he's got the 2 stars now) to reduce it further. He's down to 3 power and 2 cards (of course he draws one in the meantime.)

My next opportunity to move comes up. I know that if I miss, I have to bolster, and it's quite late in the game, so it's not going to be very valuable. However, he has 2 cards and 3 power. I decide to take a chance and use the 4 I got when I upgraded last time and 4 power, on the off chance that if I don't get it I won't wreck myself.

I draw the automa card. Spend 7 and 2 combat cards. Not good.
First card's a 3. Very not good.
Second card ... is a 5.

Even if I went full out...I would have still lost. So, I have all my units in my base, and both of my entrances are guarded by AI mechs. Mechs that aren't powerful anymore. This is my chance. I'll get a nice cheap star, and then try to rebuild frantically to get back in

Quote:
Black: I'm ending the game.
Me:...What.
Black: I'm attacking white at the factory. I have a 2 to her zero, I place my last star. Game over.
Me:...Look, please, no, we don't have this yet.
Black: White's one space away from getting their sixth. I can't take that chance.
Me:...Really?
Black: Yes. How about you look at the next card and see what it would have been.

It...had a star icon.

I ended the game with every unit I had in my home base. I controlled ZERO areas on the board.

The final scores:
AI White: 58
AI Yellow: 53
Player Black:77
Points Blue would need to tie:34
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Actual Blue Score: 14
2Stars @ 5 each + 4 bucks in reserve.

And that, my friends (or, let's be honest, ex-friends at this point) is when you know you are bad at a board game. Or maybe life in general. I don't know anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJAPS2 wrote:
And that, my friends (or, let's be honest, ex-friends at this point) is when you know you are bad at a board game. Or maybe life in general. I don't know anymore.

Well, you may suck at Scythe, but at least you succeed in writing a session report that made me smile. Both because it was funny and because it always makes me smile, when a poor sod human player gets beaten to a pulp by an Automa devil.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gergely Molnár
msg tools
If I get it correctly you were in the same team as Black. He should have tried to like... I don't know... maybe help you with the fights against the white or something

Granted that you were very unlucky, but other than that, I think it was not worth risking to neglect military power when white is drawing so many power cards and military powerups.

I have to agree with Morten Monrad Pedersen, it was a really enjoyable read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Carduner
Canada
Regina
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
Get blitzed! Play World in Flames!
mbmbmbmbmb
JJAPS2 wrote:

But the AI isn't so broken so as to break that up, right?

Pffffffftttt.....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyle Chipperson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Awesome report ! Reminds me when in my head I'm destroying the automa and at the end it beats me for 15 of 20 points

So don't feel bad I´ll be your friend and we will form our bad-at-scythe-but-still-playing-it.com forum !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My worst game in Scythe (against all human players) came out at 23, if I remember correctly. Also as blue industrial mechanical, for what that's worth!

So yeah, sometimes these games just happen.

(Edit: Mechanical, not industrial. I played the board with no focus... with no focus... and lost)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst I've seen, in an all-human 5-player game, was 13 points for the Nordic player. It was his first play, and he really didn't grok the strategies at all.

Edit: That said, it was his copy of the game. You would think he would have at least gotten a vague understanding of how the game works before playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Denning
msg tools
I mean, that wasn't all really your fault. I haven't played with Automa, mainly because I haven't been able to comprehend the AI rules, but I've heard they're quite ruthless.

Also, I'm sorry, but that IS pretty funny. Thanks in no small part, of course, to your excellent storytelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Lastname
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have a geek gold for your suffering and the entertainment it has brought us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Galarza
msg tools
My game was objectively worse. Friday was my first game of Scythe. I played as Rusviet Mechanical. I had no stars on the board and a score of 14 points. I had almost full upgrades and pretty much nothing else. I'm going to make another post in the Strategy to ask for help because my experience was really rotten.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Burigo
Italy
Belluno
flag msg tools
designer
badge
“Don't try the paranormal until you know what's normal.” - Granny Weatherwax
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunsinger wrote:
My game was objectively worse. Friday was my first game of Scythe. I played as Rusviet Mechanical. I had no stars on the board and a score of 14 points. I had almost full upgrades and pretty much nothing else. I'm going to make another post in the Strategy to ask for help because my experience was really rotten.

The lesson I learnt from my first play is that, unlike Agricola, a bit of everything is not going to pay.
You really have to choose 2/3 paths, according to your player mat (upgrades, mechs, workers, recruits, buildings), and push them to their end in order to earn the corresponding stars.
Along the way you will adapt and find other sources of stars that - according to the opportunity cost of the concurrent situation - could be from combat, objective, reaching the end of a track, or completing a disregarded aspect of your mat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup, you can't do everything in this game, though it is tempting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Strickland
United States
The Woodlands
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's nothing. I played a game of Blood Rage in which one player got 0 points the entire game. ZERO! And that's tough to do when many of the cards and upgrades give you bonuses for your units dying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I recently ended a game of Ra with 8 points, which is especially impressive given that you start the game with 20 points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Williams
United States
Pearland
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry. I don't mean to add insult to injury, but wouldn't you need 39 points to tie? 53 - 14?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ismail Siddiqui
United Arab Emirates
flag msg tools
I don't know about the worst game of Scythe someone in my group has played but there are a few worst Scythe attack moves:

1. As a Rusviet while defending the factory with one mech, I was attacked by Crimea with two mechs. Both of us had above 7 power and I was expecting to lose the battle as Crimea would have matched the highest possible 12 to win. Having a 5 combat card, I gambled and brought out a 12. We do not know what he was thinking as he brought out an 11(6 power and 5 cc) to give me my second battle star and fifth overall. I won that game by deploying the last mech.

2. A Saxony player lost TWO battles in the same move action against Polania and Nord. Both Polania and Nord were at a lower power (4 & 5) whereas Saxony was 12. He had to match 9 to beat Polania to get the factory and then match Nord at 10. He brought out a 4 and 5 to lose both battles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.