San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Keep Summer Safe!"
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Roof Collapses
1a) Does the roof collapse reposition?
1b) If you had the poison oil, you can't put it on the spell? (Ruled -- No).

The situation -- the Wizard failed a hide roll and got a demon and two snakes, so he decided to collapse the roof. This sounded good until I pointed out the demon was tremendous. He then wanted to poison it. He still cast it anyway, since there were some vipers and the Witch's Familiar?

1c) Does the Familiar have to dodge should he be lurking in the cave? (He was) Can it be killed? (Ruled -- Yes it has to dodge, but should it be like a hired minion, so the with can just place it in a safe box w/o having to roll? Hm. Since the board was explored we just ruled that the cat ran away, ne'er to be seen again).

2) The familiar -- Technically if the witch follows, she gets no activation chit, so the familiar doesn't move?

3) When you abandon things you can choose the order of them?

So -- The Amazon and Wizard died the same turn (to the Demon and Winged Demon. Both failed their hide rolls on a bad monster roll). The Witch had ~13 days left. She was scavenging for the Hoof when she found the Golden Icon and left, disgusted. (She'd need snake eyes to find the hoof now, since the Icon moved to the bottom of the stack?) So she went to the nearest site and searched. (A Bonus hide phase helped). A few days later she got ... seven league boots.

With a T5 move she burned two broomsticks high-tailing it back to the Golden Icon and found it ... on a turn she failed her hide roll (stupid Hoof) AND trolls appeared. Now she had it, but had to drop it again to run away!

So I dropped many other things to make it the seventh thing. I ran away, hid, came back, and rolled a 5 (+1). Should I take the sixth thing in a stack? Risky. It was pretty good and I had three more search rolls, so I took it and proceeded to roll 6, 6, 6 for nothing, nothing, nothing, as time expired.

So ... the Witch almost walked away with the tremendously heavy Golden Icon for the win. (I think we may play with Caches from now on).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure of the answer to questions 1 and 2, but I am pretty sure the answer to 3 is yes, you get to set the order of stuff you drop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
1) Roof Collapses
1a) Does the roof collapse reposition?

No. The attack is always in the Smash direction.
Quote:
3rd Edition Rules
TYPE IV SPELLS
ROOF COLLAPSES
... It attacks like a striking weapon with a length of 18, and it inflicts Heavy damage with no sharpness stars.
Important: This spell always attacks each target in the Smash direction with a time number of "4", regardless of the chit or card that was used to cast it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Becker
United States
Florissant
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Part savage, part savant, with a dash of satanic seasoning
mbmbmbmb
Bankler wrote:
1c) Does the Familiar have to dodge should he be lurking in the cave? (He was) Can it be killed?

The Familiar does not take part in combat, so it does not have to Dodge and can not be killed.
Quote:
3rd Edition Rules
WITCH:
Special Advantages:
2. FAMILIAR:
... The familiar cannot block or be
blocked, it does not summon denizens nor cause monsters to move,
and it cannot take part In combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Richardson
United States
Lindsborg
Kansas
flag msg tools
mb
Brian Bankler wrote:
2) The familiar -- Technically if the witch follows, she gets no activation chit, so the familiar doesn't move?

That would be silly: there's no logical or thematic reason why the familiar would be unable to get its turn if the Witch is following someone. If the Witch is following, I would have the familiar take its turn when her guide's Attention chit is picked, before the guide takes his turn.

Note that the Witch *does* get a turn even when she is following (7.11.8). The familiar's rule is:

"It takes its turn just before she takes her turn, when her Attention chit is picked."

If you actually ignore the "...when her Attention chit is picked" part everything will work correctly! That wording is from the 2nd edition rules; the 3rd edition rules maybe should have dropped that last part... but nobody realized that it would cause a problem if the Witch followed someone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.